Old 05 April 2005, 22:24   #21

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Next time you're out in a chop, ram it into reverse, fill your rib up to the gunnels and note how stable it becomes. DM
What a great idea!! I'll try that next time i'm out.
I might also wait till it's dark, and stand in the fast lane of the fkkn motorway, which will be equally as stoopid.

you must be on drugs Mainwaring.
Old 06 April 2005, 00:30   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
To be honest I have also heard it said that a rib full of water becomes very stable - it will never flip!!!!
Old 06 April 2005, 01:25   #23

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
You've been listening to the hardboat brigade too much. Next time you're out in a chop, ram it into reverse, fill your rib up to the gunnels and note how stable it becomes. Then try the same in a hard boat and note how fast it takes you to swim ashore.

DM

b****ks, that the idiotic mind numbness that gets people in over there heads!!

so you dont think the surf would have lifted any other boats arse into the air, stuffing the front and turning the boat side on into the anger of the roller, if anything the stick mans more slender and tapered rear end with distinctive less buoyancy than a rib may have stood a greater chance of the wave just crashin over him... im sure if he stuck his 4hp seagul into reverse in normal conditions he also wouldnt be swimming to shore like you wouldnt mr manning...
Old 06 April 2005, 06:16   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash
the surf would have lifted any other boats arse into the air
possibly not, with the advantage of speed that a planing craft has
Quote:
stuffing the front
Why would stuffing be an issue? A high bow RIB with tubes will only stuff if speed and direction point the vessel into a solid wall of water. Pictures 5-6-7-8-9 show that the problem comes from behind, and only once the vessel is disabled in later pictures, do the real problems strart. Crucially, the mast and sail are dragging in the water so that broaching is inevitable.
Quote:
and turning the boat side on into the anger of the roller
In pictures 22-27 the yacht could have recovered, except for three major problems: 1) the skipper's in the water 2) no propulsion as the sails are down 3) mast and sails dangling below like a huge keel. If he could have leapt in the boat, removed the spars and stays, and powered off quickly, then he would have been OK. He couldn't of course.
Quote:
As the water comes from above, this would go straight into the RIB and just fill the boat.
That's not a probem, RIBs can recover easily from this - it's what they're designed and built for.
Quote:
if anything the stick mans more slender and tapered rear end with distinctive less buoyancy than a rib may have stood a greater chance of the wave just crashin over him.
Unfortunately his open cockpit, deep cabin and lack of elephants trunk or low transom mean that the same water that breaks over him will stay in the boat as the bilge pump hasn't a hope of clearing that volume in the same day...

I'm not one for heroics, but I reckon a RIB would have recovered OK from that incident as long as the skipper stayed in the boat. There's an account somewhere (probably in RIB International, it may be on their web site?) of Paul Lemmer recovering from two waves breaking over him just off Gurnsey.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2005, 06:57   #25

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:

so you dont think the surf would have lifted any other boats arse into the air, stuffing the front and turning the boat side on into the anger of the roller, if anything the stick mans more slender and tapered rear end with distinctive less buoyancy than a rib may have stood a greater chance of the wave just crashin over him... im sure if he stuck his 4hp seagul into reverse in normal conditions he also wouldnt be swimming to shore like you wouldnt mr manning...

Er...I think you'll find my friend Mr Dave, is just taking the piss outta me.... and as boat handlers go... there ain't many people better... even if he is an old Tossa.....
Old 06 April 2005, 07:24   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
so the toobs have a use

Nice one Richard!

FGT-GTF ( that'd be a palindrome, or in FGT's case a Palindrone) have you ever been to a surf rescue competition? Check out what those guys do with ribs.

FGT you remember my sea rider that used to fill with water on the pontoons at Saxon. I used to empty iy by jumping in and driving down the river, has anybody got a binliner we could try and do the same with? The whole point of a rib is that it's fully scuppering so it gets rid of any water it takes on.

I am not sure if this would work with a cabin rib as the living space is in the hull
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2005, 07:52   #27

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
I have managed to capsize a Rib in the surf albeit a small one 11 ft, This was also done heading straight on bow first into the wave which then broke an instant before it hit the bow and then proceeded to flip us over ( bow to stern)
not a very smart thing to do wave jumping in 7-8 ft breakers i know but this was a long time ago. The proof is in the pudding for me given the right circumstances
any boat could capsize Rib or not, Even more so with an unexperienced person at the controls.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:05   #28

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
...Pictures 5-6-7-8-9 show that the problem comes from behind,.....
It happen before that Picture 2 shows the problem, the guy hasn’t got the sails set right and without power everything after that was inevitable Yachts can surf and provided you keep them straight there really isn’t a problem
As for filling a bayliner with water the real issues is making sure the chintz cushions, frill lines dustbin and loo roll cover don’t float away
Des
Old 06 April 2005, 08:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Nice one Richard!

FGT-GTF ( that'd be a palindrome, or in FGT's case a Palindrone) have you ever been to a surf rescue competition? Check out what those guys do with ribs.

FGT you remember my sea rider that used to fill with water on the pontoons at Saxon. I used to empty iy by jumping in and driving down the river, has anybody got a binliner we could try and do the same with? The whole point of a rib is that it's fully scuppering so it gets rid of any water it takes on.

I am not sure if this would work with a cabin rib as the living space is in the hull
Stu, did you used to work for cunard?

Rich, a sailing boat has to be the most naturally stable boat there is, they would self right purely through it C of G versus bouyancy, and usually the cabin door can be sealed, and as far as I know, all cockpits are self draining, so this guy probably had his cabin open.

A rib on the other hand, is far more stable when it's inverted (assuming it doesn't have self righting gear), so once it's gone over, you're fkkd!

sure, you could possibly have out-run the wave, but if you wound up in that size 'breaking' wave, I reckon you'd be in just as much trouble as this fella

this guy was unlucky, or if his cabin door was open,...stupid.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Er...I think you'll find my friend Mr Dave, ...there ain't many people better... even if he is an old Tossa.....
With the emphasis on old,.....and Tossa
Old 06 April 2005, 08:39   #31

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Agreed. I think a some people are underestimating the amount of power in a breaking wave. Perhaps head on the wave would have been 'survivable' for a lot of vessels, but in a following sea, run like feck has to be the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey
The proof is in the pudding for me given the right circumstances any boat could capsize Rib or not, Even more so with an unexperienced person at the controls.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:59   #32

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Bye the way when you say avoiding rescue do you mean avoiding rescuing other
boats or being recued yourself
Old 06 April 2005, 09:05   #33
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
What a great idea!! I'll try that next time i'm out.
Please don't. Your Autoglym special is not designed to do this and we wouldn't like to see you get wet.

Quote:
Are you disagreeing with my statement that a rib is more stable when it's full of water, then

Quote:
so you dont think the surf would have lifted any other boats arse into the air,
I don't recall saying that at all so you must have invented that in your head.

Lighten up, hardboaters. It's a nice day for polishing all that shiny GRP

DM
Old 06 April 2005, 09:46   #34

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Stu, did you used to work for cunard?

I've always worked fkkn hard!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2005, 10:15   #35

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Agreed. I think a some people are underestimating the amount of power in a breaking wave. Perhaps head on the wave would have been 'survivable' for a lot of vessels, but in a following sea, run like feck has to be the right thing to do.

I agree but with the breaking wave behind you and running from it, unless you are on a sand or shingle bar you have good chance of running out of water and landing on a beach Which given the possition this bloke was in would be no bad thing
Old 06 April 2005, 12:57   #36

Quote:
Lighten up, hardboaters. It's a nice day for polishing all that shiny GRP

DM
Dave, remind me again what YOU are currently attempting to do with Stu's RIB?.....oh yes, 'trying' to improve it's aesthetics! not easy with a rubber dinghy, i imagine.

so feck orf wiv da smartarse polishing cracks! (excuse the pun, i'm sure the Avon is completely crackless)

I'll deal wiv you later Mainwaring
Old 06 April 2005, 13:50   #37
DM
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
aesthetics!
Oy, play fair. Where did you find a word like that. Oh, I know. It was in your monthly copy of Practical Boat Polisher.

DM
Old 06 April 2005, 18:55   #38

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Are you disagreeing with my statement that a rib is more stable when it's full of water, then

DM
far from it, they are very stable, both ways up, sail boats are also very stable to, they can heel to angles far beyond my autoglym special (great polish by the way ) and probably most ribs due to the keel and low down ballast of course...

Richard i believe imho that the yacht or any boat for that matter would be forced in to a stuff type situation which may lead to broaching as the front is stationary and the back is doin 30mph... look at the angle before the wave breaks, all potential energy is directing the boat downwards underwater not due to excess speed but due to the sea saw effect of the arse end being lifted up by the humongous power from behind, a rib would behave no different... unless it was a submarine maybe ... the energy pushing the back of the boat has got to go somewhere!! down or sideways, more bouyancy would probably result in the latter...

I have been caught out (due to my own stupidity) in surf far less extreme than this poor f***er but it still towered over my boat, and i agree with matt maybe head on you stand a chance, but from behind!!!... oooo no sailor not for me!!

Anyone that underestimates the power of waves and fancies ago in their pride and joy has got to be barkin in my mind, try dangling ur hand in just the spray off your wake at 40mph, its phenominal and hurts!!

Remember if you decide to carry out the so called rib stabilty test mentioned above and ram her in reverse ive heard of several engine manufacturers declining warrantys on engines that have had water up em from sudden stops even just kill cords knocked out... give ot ago though might be fun
Old 06 April 2005, 22:11   #39

Quote:
It was in your monthly copy of Practical Boat Polisher.

DM
Where as 'Practical nob Polisher' would be a more appropriate mag for your good self!
Old 06 April 2005, 22:25   #40
DM
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny(the wax)Fuller
'Practical nob Polisher'
Very true. I'll book you in to have your bonce shined up.

DM