Old 05 April 2005, 12:06   #1

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
Surf Rolled Yacht - RIB to the Rescue!

Fascinating series of photos of a yacht being rolled in some surf.

Apologies if posted before!

http://sfsurvey.com/photos/sail/imagepages/image1.htm
Old 05 April 2005, 12:33   #2

Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 6m +
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
enough said. particularly about the use of lifejackets.....there is an excuse to get a RIB if ever there was one
Old 05 April 2005, 12:42   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Man
...there is an excuse to get a RIB if ever there was one

Why? It's just as easy to feck' up with a RIB in the surf and roll it...
Old 05 April 2005, 12:57   #4

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
A good 8ft+ set wave that took the yacht out, he should have been on a surfboard not a yacht, you wouldn’t want to be in that impact zone with anything other than a IRB.

Top marks to the surfers for getting in there to help, very dodgy with all the cables trailing in the water and the boat sinking, looks like the boogie board rider gave the skipper a lift out lucky chap.

Moral of the story: If you see a load of surfers in the water in front of you, have a look over your shoulder as you are likely to be in a surf brake.

This is the legendary reef brake just outside Porthleven harbour:

http://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/Porthleven-beach.htm

Shaggy
Old 05 April 2005, 13:50   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Brilliant pics and a credit to the surfers who resued him - coastguard arrived far too late - surfers were in the right place at the right time which is what counts!!!

Always amazes me that in the USA everything has to be bigger and better EXCEPT for their rescue helicopters - most are way too small and many don't even have a winch - even the ones that do are underpowered so no winch man comes down or pretty rarely - usually the casualty has to help themselves!!!
Old 05 April 2005, 14:01   #6

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I hate to stand up for the colonies, but..........

The average helo rescue involves picking up a max of 2-3 people, more often just 1.

The main reason for having to wich the casualty and the winchman together is that in the UK we use 1 or 2 single lift strops [the one that goes under your arms], if the casualty is tempted to reach up and hold onto the wich wire etc, which isd a natural reaction, then there is the possibility of falling clear of the strop. Therefore the wicnchman stays with the casualty to hopefully prevent it. The american rescue basket is a system that enables the casualty to quickly manouver themselves into a wichable position without having to worry about making sure everything is done up tight. If the casualty is unable to do this themselves then a rescue swimmer will jump from the helo to assist.

Finally all USCG helo's have winches. Not always obvious on the dauphan as it can be folded back out of the way. So I beleive thier helcopters are perfectly suited to the role. It is also worth pointing out that both the USCG helos are alot faster than our own Seaking (which by the way entered service in 1969).

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2005, 14:02   #7

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Now I'm not a helicopter expert - but to my inexperienced eye reckon I can see a winch on the helicopter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Always amazes me that in the USA everything has to be bigger and better EXCEPT for their rescue helicopters - most are way too small and many don't even have a winch - even the ones that do are underpowered so no winch man comes down or pretty rarely - usually the casualty has to help themselves!!!
Old 05 April 2005, 14:03   #8

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
It looks like the yachtsman got it all wrong, it looks like he has gybed the main but not brought the jib over so loosing way If you have enough forward motion you can surf a yacht and although it can be a bit hairy you don’t usually get rolled Des
Old 05 April 2005, 14:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
I hate to stand up for the colonies, but the average helo rescue involves picking up a max of 2-3 people, more often just 1.

The main reason for having to wich the casualty and the winchman together is that in the UK we use 1 or 2 single lift strops [the one that goes under your arms], if the casualty is tempted to reach up and hold onto the wich wire etc, which isd a natural reaction, then there is the possibility of falling clear of the strop. Therefore the wicnchman stays with the casualty to hopefully prevent it. The american rescue basket is a system that enables the casualty to quickly manouver themselves into a wichable position without having to worry about making sure everything is done up tight. If the casualty is unable to do this themselves then a rescue swimmer will jump from the helo to assist.

Finally all USCG helo's have winches. Not always obvious on the dauphan as it can be folded back out of the way.

Not only on about the coastguard ones - many times I have seen rescues using Yank choppers where they have just dangled a rope to lift people out of the way.

I have seen the American basket system in action several times - looks dodgy to me - especially in rough conditions - wouldn't fancy a clout from that thing across the head!!!

The Yanks don't seem to like to standardise much - for example the US Navy have totally different ways of doing things compared to the USAF - for example in flight refulling by the US Navy is done the British way but the USAF use their own systen that is not cross compatible.
Old 05 April 2005, 14:40   #10
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Why? It's just as easy to feck' up with a RIB in the surf and roll it..
You've been listening to the hardboat brigade too much. Next time you're out in a chop, ram it into reverse, fill your rib up to the gunnels and note how stable it becomes. Then try the same in a hard boat and note how fast it takes you to swim ashore.

DM
Old 05 April 2005, 15:19   #11

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
You've been listening to the hardboat brigade too much. Next time you're out in a chop, ram it into reverse, fill your rib up to the gunnels and note how stable it becomes. Then try the same in a hard boat and note how fast it takes you to swim ashore. DM
New technique for a confused sea and confused helm; excellent, will try it out whn I do RYA level 2!!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2005, 16:54   #12

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Helicopters

. . . not fogetting that the US has just chosen the British EH101 for the Presidential Flight. (Although they had to rename it the US101 so that no-one over there would notice)

Huge range and payload and lots in service for SAR around the world because of that. Perhaps the USCG will be suitably impressed by their colleagues choppers, so to speak?
Old 05 April 2005, 17:00   #13

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC
. . . not fogetting that the US has just chosen the British EH101 for the Presidential Flight.
I never felt I could truley trust a helicopter, that a pilot made the first ever parachute jump from whilst the helicopter was heading to the ground faster than planned.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2005, 19:24   #14

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
You've been listening to the hardboat brigade too much. Next time you're out in a chop, ram it into reverse, fill your rib up to the gunnels and note how stable it becomes. Then try the same in a hard boat and note how fast it takes you to swim ashore.

DM

You don't mind if I try that in YOUR boat do ya? Just don't fancy it in mine..
Old 05 April 2005, 20:09   #15

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
I never felt I could truley trust a helicopter, that a pilot made the first ever parachute jump from whilst the helicopter was heading to the ground faster than planned.
Interesting diversion into the world of helicopters. A mate who works in procurement at the MOD told me that the EH101 was originally due to be called something else - I think he said EH01 to coincide with 2001. A politician mispronounced the title as EH101 during a launch presentation & the name stuck.

My dad was an aerobatic pilot with the RAF in his early days & then moved onto being a helicopter instructor in later years. He always tells me that if you are in a situation where you are running out of air (as in heading for the ground!) it's always preferable to be in a helicopter rather than a plane.

Cheers.

Ian
Old 05 April 2005, 20:26   #16

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
it's always preferable to be in a helicopter rather than a plane
Why
Old 05 April 2005, 20:39   #17

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Why
I was never clever enough to fly, but the way he explains it is like this: If you have engine failure in a plane you have glide down to ground level & try to find a field or road large enough to land in.

In the event of engine failure in a helicopter the blades generally still turn. A pilot can use them like a parachute to execute a controlled landing in a confined space. I was lucky enough to get a demostration of this in a Bristows Sioux helicopter at Middle Wallop when I was a kid. The pilot switched off the engine twice during the flight & demonstrated two different types of engine off landing. I'd like to say that it was an enjoyable experience, but I was too busy shi**ing myself to have fun

Ian.
Old 05 April 2005, 21:00   #18

It is called autorotation and it is a must during heli training.

My mate who gives me free lessons in his Hughes actually performs EVERY landing like this - the reason being local villagers were complaining about the noise every time he landed on his helipad next to his house.

As he flies like this ALL the time if an emergency did arise who better to get out of it?
Old 05 April 2005, 21:42   #19

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
How not to fly a Helicopter...

http://helihobby.com/videos/crash6.wmv

I think he should have done his Level II Powered Helicopter course

Nice one Hog

Shaggy
Old 05 April 2005, 21:53   #20