Click Here to Login

Old 13 February 2005, 14:47   #1

Town: Lochgelly
Boat name: Purrdy
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 135hp ob
MMSI: 235029446
Sorry it is illegal to fill your boat at our petrol station!

Hi all.
I have always filled the built in tank of my Rib at forcourt petrol stations.
I have a great one near where I store the boat, easy run through and lots of room.
Saturday on the way out with the boat I pulled in to top of the tank and was told by the staff that they wouldn`t fill her since it was against the law.
I would have to fill one gallon containers take them away and fill her that way.
Since the law says that you can only have I think 20 litres in cans this would take a while to fill the 100 litre tank.
Since I was just topping off the tank I didn`t argue and shot of to launch before I lost the water. However I find no new laws on the net so I am assuming that they don`t know what they are talking about. Anybody know different before I start writing nasty letters to Sainsburys.
Cheers
Old 13 February 2005, 15:01   #2

Town: Garnich
The "max. 20 litres in cans" law is in effect for safety reasons in many continental Europe countries, e.g. in Belgium. But can the tank of a boat, a motorbike or an ATV on a trailer be considered as a "can" ? I suggest you ask a lawyer.
Old 13 February 2005, 15:05   #3
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Go ahead and write the letter.

The important bit here is the difference between 'tank' and 'container'. A container can only be used to store 5l if plastic and 10l if metal.

Your boat has a fuel tank and therefore is not restricted in this way. A tank is basically anything the engine can directly draw fuel from.
Old 13 February 2005, 15:22   #4

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Great idea

..........Use ASDA

Ill get me coat on the way out
Old 13 February 2005, 15:41   #5

Thanks Viper. Your input is up there with the Chocolate Fireguard.
Anyone else with any info.
Looking on the net, I think we are looking at petrol station staff who have failed their Woolworths exams.
However I still have to go in and convince them that they are muppets.
Oh and I`d look a right fool if they have just gone and passed another daft law prohibiting fuel transfer into an inflammable object for example.
Old 13 February 2005, 16:11   #6

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarla
Hi all.
I have always filled the built in tank of my Rib at forcourt petrol stations.
I have a great one near where I store the boat, easy run through and lots of room.
Saturday on the way out with the boat I pulled in to top of the tank and was told by the staff that they wouldn`t fill her since it was against the law.
I would have to fill one gallon containers take them away and fill her that way.
We use Sainsburys all the time never had any problems with filling up, our only problem is filling up car and boat at the same time as the pumps only give 100L before you have to pay

Could be the staff need educating
Old 13 February 2005, 17:04   #7
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarla
However I still have to go in and convince them that they are muppets.
Tell them that the rules regarding 'Portable Petrol Containers' as specified in - the Petroleum Act 1928 (PCA), the Petroleum-Spirit Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum-Spirit Regulations 1982, to which they are referring to do not apply to your boats 'fuel tank'.

If that doesn't work get them to ring head office and confirm it for you.

Been through this before when we ran very low on fuel. After walking up a very long shingle beach with no shoes on the garage refused to sell me petrol as I was trying to fill a mercury 25l plastic tank. I just kicked up a fuss and made them phone head office... got the petrol in the end.
Old 13 February 2005, 18:13   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Tell them the boat is CE approved and complies with all European laws - that should shut them up!!!
Old 13 February 2005, 18:51   #9

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Seen this problem before on the West Coast of Scotland. We watched (in amazement) as Dave Charrington put 500 gallons of petrol into a 8m osprey. Ullapool Shell garage took his money and then phoned the police and bubbled him as he drove the 200 yards back to the slipway. We fueled 25 ribs up that day from that garage

Pete
Old 13 February 2005, 19:40   #10

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
MMSI: 235064495
Intresting tail Sainsberys on the Isle of Wight told me last summer
that although thay would not let me fill my portable 25 Lt tanks in the back of
van it was pefectly ok to drive on the forcourt and fill the boat up
same tanks diferent container ?????
Old 14 February 2005, 09:49   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
The Jet garage in southsea never has a problem with us filling the boat tank. Also we fill the 30l deck tanks in the boat, and as nobody can see over the side of the boat on the trailer, nobody knows....

Ricky
Old 14 February 2005, 10:49   #12

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQBoater
We use Sainsburys all the time never had any problems with filling up, our only problem is filling up car and boat at the same time as the pumps only give 100L before you have to pay

Could be the staff need educating
TQ we normally pull in and take up the entire space, then fill the boat and car up from the two pumps we are blocking, then pay for the two in one payment, seems to work and Sainsburys will even take the 3p a litre voucher too against the total for both pumps

I've filled both the onboard tank and steel 20 litre jerry cans at Sainsburys and never had a problem, the fact that there is a Tescos, a jet and an Esso station all within sight of each other may make a difference.
Old 14 February 2005, 11:23   #13

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
seems to work and Sainsburys will even take the 3p a litre voucher too against the total for both pumps
Bugger they won't let us do that here vouchers only valid for 1 pump transaction at our store

Or so they say

I guess it has alot to do with the number of outlets in the area
Old 14 February 2005, 11:36   #14

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQBoater
Bugger they won't let us do that here vouchers only valid for 1 pump transaction at our store

Or so they say

I guess it has alot to do with the number of outlets in the area
Thats actually suprising as companys like Sainsburys normally have rigid policies that the staff have to follow, so you'd imagine if one does it they'd all do it, it does really piss people off when i drive in on Staurday morning and take up two pumps to fill up boat and car especially if someone's waited behind me thinking i'll be quick h
Old 14 February 2005, 13:49   #15

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
total rubbish!

Hi The illegal statement is rubbish.
The rule re "cans" exists only for non compliant temporary cans.
Your boat will almost certainly have iso 9001 fuel lines and will have had to been pressure tested if fitted to gain a CE mark.

If your tanks are loose they to will have ce marks.

The muppet at your station is clearly demonstrating that a scant knowledge of the law is a dangerous thing!

Good luck with your letter, you are correct and if you write it they will have to quote law and prove themselves wrong.
Old 14 February 2005, 15:50   #16

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
What exactly would be the point............

.........of a letter ?

1. To gain an apology.

2. Apology plus compensation.

3. To prove a point for the sake of "saving face".

4. To gain clarification of the law.

5. A combination of all/

If Point 1, I'm sure you have better things to do with your life.

If Point 2, OK now you're talking, lets do it.

If Point 3, (see Point 1).

If Point 4, you can do that in 5 minutes on the forum or in 10 minutes on the web through one means or another.

If Point 5, (see Point 2)

So, if Point 2, I would be writing to seek clarification on what the "Sellers" interpretation on the law was and as such, what "Guidlines" they had in their "Company Handbook" for all employees to follow. Both these questions will, I am sure throw them into a flurry of activity as I doubt if they have such procedures and guidlines detailed as clearly as to define between a pop bottle being filled by yobs with a stolen City Express or a well respected gent with a £20k boat - get my drift ?

Whilst not labouring the above question, I would labour the following points.

1. You were enormously embarrassed in front of your friends and family due to the way the member of staff broached the subject (quote poor people skills - obvious lack of customer focused skills and if you like, a slightly arrogant stance).

2. You were greatly inconvenienced as you had to drive X number of miles to another filing station.

3. Your day was cut short due to chasing the tide.

4. Your day was spoilt due to the reduction in time and the strange approach of the staff member.

5. You are and have been a long stanging customer with thir group however, this has greatly marred your thoughts toward them.

6. If you are to use their Station again, what assurance can they offer that this will not happen again.

7. Finally ask spercifically the following "How do you propose to recompense me for this inconvenience suffered and ill feeling toward your company" ?

I bet you my bottom dollar, you'll get gift vouchers to the value of £50.00 if not more, plus a letter outling the law verbatim on this subject (we'll all have clarity then).

Now if all that sounds too much - just write it off to one of life's little
anomalies.
Old 14 February 2005, 16:07   #17

Well the main reason to write to Sainsburys was to clarify the situation.

The reason being that said filling station is the only one even close to the route between my boat storage and my usual launch site. It is also the cheapest petrol for miles and is an easy station to run a 6.5metre trailer through.

However the compensation idea is good MeMe.

I`ll let you know how I get on.
Old 14 February 2005, 16:14   #18

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Well, based upon.......

.....the above, I would be after a guarantee that this would not happen again. Bugger the compensation if it means you have to be invonvenienced. However and that said, I'm sure you'll get something.
Old 14 February 2005, 17:13   #19

To Sainsbury`s

Dear Sir/Madam.

Last Saturday, I attempted to fill the built in fuel tank of my 5.5 metre speed boat as I have done previously, at your Fife Retail Park Chapel Level filling station. Upon entering the filling station, I was, in my opinion, rudely informed that it was illegal to fill my boat's fuel tank directly from the pump and that your store would not sell me petrol.

Having spent some time on the internet and having contacted the HSE, I have been unable to find anything to make me believe that I was contravening the law in any way. The boat has a CE approved, built in fuel system which is the same as any car/motorcycle/ATV with a filler neck and cap. The fuel tank is approximately 100 litres in capacity, so your staff's attitude that I should use approved 5 litre petrol cans to fill it away from your premises, was rather less than useful, especially since by law, it is illegal to possess more than 20 litres of fuel in containers rather than in a built in vehicle tank.
I am writing to seek clarification on what the "Sellers" interpretation on the law is and as such, what "Guidelines" you have in your "Company Handbook" for all employees to follow.

I am in contact with the major boating magazines at the moment to determine whether other people are having any similar problems with other branches of Sainsbury's.

The problem on Saturday caused me considerable embarrassment , not to mention additional expense. If you do find that there was no legal reason to refuse to serve me, I would like to know what measures you will be putting in place to ensure this will not happen again.

Up until now, I have been doing my weekly shopping and filling both my wife's and my 4 by 4`s and our motorcycles at your store, but this experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand the law about non-CE approved fuel containers but, as I assume you know, CE approved built in fuel tanks are fitted to all cars/lorries/motorcycles/boats.

I look forward to hearing from you with all urgency concerning this matter.

Andrew Bamford
2 Benarty Avenue
Lochgelly
Fife
KY5 9EF
Old 14 February 2005, 18:34   #20

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Andrew,

Suggest you take your address off the thread for security reasons.

Regards

Brian