Old 23 August 2002, 17:01   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3.8
Engine: 15hp
Size versus an easy life !

I'm just catching up on some old posts and have just read Matiboy partially regretting his move to 5.8m because of the issues of launching his Rib solo. Having just returned from an enjoyable break on the south coast my mind has returned to the prospect of moving up to a medium sized Rib, but have recognised the practicality issues. At the moment with my Sib I don't need a trailor and have no experience here. We've really enjoyed the freedom of easy launching and I recognise this is going to change with a Rib.

Could people give me views on weights/sizes that can easily be dealt with on launching/ retrieval by one or two people (non Charles Atlas) also other thoughts on Trailor types. I'll be looking (sometime soon hopefully) at possibilities between 4.5m & 5.5m and it would be used for fun family Ribing, no wild, long distance trips (so should I avoid going for a deep V for easy launch?). I'd appreciate your experienced views.
Thanks
Old 23 August 2002, 21:01   #2

Town: ireland
Make: lencraft rib
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80hp four str
Hi Chris,
Planning a trip tomorrow to Aran Island -west coast of ireland
I have a 5 m lencraft rib with a yamaha 50 2strk.I can launch and retrieve my boat on my own in most conditions on slipway.I would not worry about shape of hull except get a deep v!
The trailer is the answer to easy launching and rollers and swinging cradle and your ability to get into water if necessary.Hope this helps
Old 23 August 2002, 22:21   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I keep my SIB on a trailer ('cos of the solid floor) and find that at launch and recovery time, the RIBsters get the job done quicker and easier than me. That's mainly due to their roller-coaster trailers being better than my bunked trailer (need that as the keel/underfloor is soft).

Recently I asked a friend if he wanted a hand recovering his 6.5m Scorpion. I ended up just watching as he singlehandedly completed the whole job without even putting one foot in the water

HTH,

Richard.
Old 24 August 2002, 15:26   #4

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3.8
Engine: 15hp
Thanks for those posts, it sounds as if launching/retrieving say, a 5.5m Rib, isn't as bad as I'd imagined.

I've heard references to "break-back " & "piggy -back" trailors, what is the best type of trailor for a 5 to 5.5m Rib ? Do you keep the trailor attached to a car or release it for the final launch ? I'm still interested in hearing from those of you who have had at one time or another problems with medium size ribs just to understand the circumstances to avoid.
Old 24 August 2002, 19:48   #5
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Most trailers seem to be very good these days. I don't have a rollercoaster trailer but my 4.7m RIB just slides on. I have no problems launching/recovering my RIB on my own, the main problem is what to do with the RIB while you get the car!

I would certainly get a deep V RIB, they are much more comfortable in rough weather, even if it’s just the chop coming out of a harbour. You can also turn tighter corners, good if you are trying to get people off a ringo

It depends on the slip as to whether you can use the car or not.

If the slip has a shallow gradient the car is useless. By the time you have enough water to get the boat off the trailer the car is underwater too.

I prefer steep slips when launching on my own. You can then use the car to launch and recover with out having to unhitch the trailer.

I would recommend avoiding shallow gradient muddy/gravel slips as you can't use the car to pull them out and unless you have 6 very strong people you won't get the boat out the water, unless you resort to winching the trailer out.

Daniel
Old 25 August 2002, 09:24   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I've heard references to "break-back " & "piggy -back" trailors, what is the best type of trailor for a 5 to 5.5m Rib ?
I wouldn't bother with a break back trailer, as they don't seem to offer much real advantage, and the mechanism tends to seize solid anyway.

With this size of RIB you only need a single axle trailer. Go for a trailer with rollers, and you will find it's surprisingly easy to launch and recover.

Given good conditions and a bit of practise you should be able to do it solo (I've launched and retrieved a 7.5m RIB on my own a few times, without getting my feet wet), although you'll find it easier with two of you -- one to back the trailer doen the slip, the other to drive the boat onto the trailer.

If conditions are less than perfect though, my top tip is don't try to stay dry! Bite the bullet and get in the water (a drysuit is a plus here) and manhandle the boat onto the trailer. Trying to tiptoe around, balancing on the trailer is guaranteed to make life difficult. Find a busy slipway tomorrow (bank holidays are always best!) and observe different "techniques" . . .
Quote:
Do you keep the trailor attached to a car or release it for the final launch ?
If the slipway is steep enough, then you will find that there is enough water under the boat before you start to get your car wet. On a shallower slipway it is far better to use a rope between the car and the trailer. It may seem like extra hassle, but it really is worth the extra couple of minutes effort to set up.

John
Old 25 August 2002, 21:44   #7
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
size v easy life

break back trailers are useful. i used one with my previous osprey 5.6. with this you can launch into shallow water solo. I now have a substantial 4 wheel trailer carrying an avon 5.4 with a yamaha 115 and loads of tat in the boat. It is too heavy for me to push off the trailer with my arthritis unless the water is really deep. I attach the painter to an eye midway on the trailer, back into the water and stamp on the brake and off she comes. by this time the water in the nissan patrol is up to my knees but never mind. Another method is to use a solid towbar between truck and trailer. if you have a good front bumper, fix a towball to this and watch your boat, trailer and bumper dissappear into the harbour. There really are loads of ways to do it, like sex really. keep your rollers well greased.
Old 26 August 2002, 20:07   #8

Town: Salisbury
Launching worries ?

The 6 metre plancraft rib I can easily launch & recover onto the trailer single handed, this a deep vee rib and is probably also one of the heaviest ribs around for its size.

Simple reason it is so easy to recover is roller coaster trailer with winch. I say it is easy to recover onto trailer, however what's NOT SO EASY, and the bit that gives you a hernia, is when the boat is on the trailer, how do you pull about 300 ton single handed up a shingle slip to try and connect to your car 40 feet away.

This is generally achived by some other helpfull boaters, but if you are on your own then you have to have a long decent rope available to pull the boat clear of the water and then reverse the car up.

With practice can be done quickly. But to summarise the size of rib you are looking at buying can easily be done single handed providing you have a decent trailer.

What I havnt mentioned however is I have since changed ribs again and i am probably now the smallest rib on ribnet @ 3.1 metres, even smaller than Keith !
Old 27 August 2002, 07:58   #9
Administrator

Re: size v easy life

Quote:
Originally posted by davidmanning
I attach the painter to an eye midway on the trailer, back into the water and stamp on the brake and off she comes. by this time the water in the nissan patrol is up to my knees but never mind.
Looks like we can always rely on David for advice on how not to do things!

John
Old 27 August 2002, 11:24   #10

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
To be fair

I've used the 'ol reverse sharply and stamp on the brakes technique myself when short handed. It does work but care is needed not to overdo it! I learned this from Paul Lemmer so maybe on second thoughts it isn't the way to do thingsQ
Old 27 August 2002, 11:32   #11

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
As said before, drysuits are definately a plus. When I did my BSAC Boat Handling, me and one of the other blokes managed to make total fools of ourselves. Whilst launching the boat, we were making sure the trailer wasn't too near the edges of the slip, and once the boat was in, we were holding it steady. The other bloke then managed to find the edge of the slip, by stepping right off it. Then whilst I was busy laughing at him, I took a step backwards and found the other edge on the other side, by stepping right off it. Luckily we had already zipped up our drysuits, so the only problem was trying to stop everyone else laughing at us.

Matt
Old 28 August 2002, 08:15   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I learned this from Paul Lemmer
M'lud, the case for the prosecution rests . . .

John
Old 28 August 2002, 10:32   #13

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
My thoughts exactly (You have been Lemmerised!!)
Old 28 August 2002, 12:38   #14
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Re: Re: size v easy life

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Looks like we can always rely on David for advice on how not to do things!
Dead right. Ive spent years learning how not to do things properly, and occasionally i get it right. Haven,t dunked the truck for ages now. Pity, it was the only time it got washed.
Old 28 August 2002, 19:07   #15

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
I fell into Loch Ness last year whilst launching Quicksilver!

I was looking really professional until then. At least I was wearing my 'old' lifejacket and not my new self inflating one.

Keith (puff puff daddy) Hart

PS Only the younger ribnet members will get the joke in the parenthses
Old 28 August 2002, 19:16   #16

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
"Joke", so that's what you call em eh? Old folk these days....

Matt
Old 29 August 2002, 06:13   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Launch and recover

It really helps if you have docking arms on the trailer to guide the boat on and to keep it there in stronh winds and cross tides , try Hayling on a strong ebb!

I keep my RIB on moorings so only do this 2 times a year lucky me.

On another note anyone have any good advive re auto bilge pumps , mine seem to fail or the switch gets stuck .Ineed them to keep the boat dry on moorings .
Old 29 August 2002, 10:16   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Lurcher
I had this problem on my Avon 6.2
I fitted two pumps. One between deck and hull that worked on an auto-float switch positioned half way up the boat. It worked when a) lots of water 'tween-decks or b) when under way and boat was on the level.
Second, I guess more what you also need, is a "computer" pump installed in the water-gathering well at the transom. This switched on automatically every 3 mins. 24/7, and cycled up. If it sucked water, it continues to pump it overboard till well is empty. If no water in well, it stops it's cycle. I know it sounds as if it consumes lots of battery power, but it doesn't. It ran for me for 2/3 months in rainy winter and never ran down battery.
For this not only kept boat dry but had the added advantage (in Mayflower Marina, Plymouth) that the dock staff were used to seeing my boat dry inside. Once the pump input got blocked, and the boat started to gather water. This was so unusual the marina staff rang me at home to tell me so I could fix it before a problem arose.
Old 29 August 2002, 10:52   #19

Town: Poole
Chris

My first RIB was a 6m Delta with 200Hp O/B and the trailer I used had loads of rollers, which made the launch and recovery very easy. Performing this on my own was fine even in adverse conditions.

For slipways that were shallow I used a long piece of rope attached to the trailer & towing vehicle to drag the boat to a point where I could attach it to a tow hook.

I have also launched a 28ft RIB from a Super Roller Coaster 10 trailer which had around a 1000 ( approx ) rollers with the same ease.

So don't be put off by a larger RIB on a trailer, rather think about the issues and how to get round them.

Also watch out for people quoting sentences with the word "Paul Lemmer" in them

Regards

Mark
Old 29 August 2002, 10:58   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Just idley musing for a moment Keith, about your story of "falling into Loch Ness".
Now it may be the tablets I'm taking, but a couple of questions spring to mind:
a) was this the first time you have "fallen in", or have you been doing it for years?
b) do you just fall in and get right out or do you swim around for a bit until some tourists start to take your photograph?