Old 28 March 2003, 08:19   #71

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Geez this is a big thred.

I for one have done the advanced power boat course and I have to say that as like Mike I have been "playing" in boats for more years than I want to remember I went for just the apraisal, and it was the longest 13 hours !! of my life. I still learned a few things that I did not know/think about. I think that the way we should run things in the UK should be on the lines of Educate NOT legistate. And to answer Manos regarding Greek legistation when I hiered a yacht over there the only thing I was asked for regarding experience was payment for the cert. I then sailed 400 miles all round the Ionian. I would add that I was experienced but was not asked about this. I have also taken my RIB to Spain and again the only experience I was required to have was to part with my money. Please do not get me wrong I think we should all be trained and if you look at this forum I think that you will find most of us are but what I am against is being forced as this will not stop those who are going to be stupid.

John

Old 28 March 2003, 08:43   #72

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Re: Re: Rules

I might be, but equally well I might not be. I wonder how many people take the two day course and actually are told they have failed at the end of it

I do not tend to fail people but if they do need more practice I will refer them. The point of the PB2 is safe handling with a degree of control. If this is not their I will refer people for more time. (which I will then provide usuallyy for free) They then do a reassessment to get the ticket.

Old 28 March 2003, 08:51   #73

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Quote:
Originally posted by THEWAVEHUMPER
DPGW I WASN'T HAVING A POP ( THERE IS TOO MUCH SNIPING ON THE FORUM LATELY) IT WAS JUST NICE TO SEE SOMEBODY ELSE DO IT.

BRIAN
Not a problem