Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
As for daily feedback from the teams - it is really difficult . Most of time we are leaving early morning and sometimes even without breakfast . the group with the small boats cannot keep up the speed with the larger boats - so when we are arriving at the port it is already late and everybody still has to refuel and starts then to look for B&B and something to eat .
There is not even enough time to look after the boats properly .
So far the longest day at sea was more than 13 hours when we went around the north coast .
Another 12 hours day at sea we had when we were on the way to Fenit .
Only with the help of Top Hat we arrived after 11.00pm in the dark safely at the Harbour .
Tomorrow will be another long and hard day and I hope we will really make it to Kilmore Quay !
Think when everybody is back home the guys are coming back here with there stories and there's a lot to tell !
I am extremely pleased with the team spirit and the camaraderie between the teams !
What makes me and the other teams of the group with small boats feel very safe is the permanent presence of P.Glatzel with Top Hat at the sea next to us or behind us .
Old 03 August 2013, 21:30   #482

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 315 Yanmar
We hope to have an early start tomorrow for Crosshaven via the Skelligs. The intention is then to go straight to Milford Haven ,missing out Kilmore Quay. The forecast is fair.After the event I will try to post a honest appraisal of boat and kit
We are not sponsored so we will tell as we find as we say in Lancashire
Mike T.
Old 03 August 2013, 22:01   #483
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Tuning-in to read the unfolding 'story' - brilliant!
Keep safe guys!
Old 03 August 2013, 22:26   #484
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Merlin officially retired

In a mad cap 30 hours, I travelled to Crosshaven from Dingle with help from the Suzuki boys - thanks fellas, took a very expensive cab ride from Crosshaven to Rosslare, boarded the 20.45 ferry to Pembroke Dock - with Team Oban, arriving at 1.00 am Sat morning, had the car hitched to the trailer by 01.30 am and back on the ferry to Rosslare leaving at 02.45 am. Landed at 7.00 am and drove to Dingle (any further west it would be in Manhattan), loaded up Merlin then drove back to Rosslare and made the 20.45 sailing to Pembroke, then the slog up to Newcastle yet to come.
All achieved with the aid of Tramadol and Muscle relaxants

Sadly when up on the trailer in Dingle, it was all too apparent that the stainless under floor tank on Merlin is split, so if not for my back, this would also be cause for retirement. Quite a pain getting this repair done I think, but maybe time for suspension seats !

Altogether a brilliant event made so by the calibre of people taking part. It was a privilege for me to boat with them and I maybe more than anyone , had the sharpest learning curve over the last 8 days, so lots to digest post event.
Sorry if this has all seemed a little disjointed, but its been hard to manage sleep and have time to write...(I don't know how Paul G does it ...he is a machine!) and for everyone who has rescued me, helped me, looked out for me, encouraged me or cared, I am extremely grateful. Thanks
Old 03 August 2013, 22:41   #485

Length: 3m +
Guys - please dont feel we are criticising any of you for disjointed posts. I think I was just expecting a more media driven machine! You don't expect the drivers at the end of a F1 race to park up and rush off to blog what happened... But someone in the back office of Formula 1 makes sure Bernie Eccleston's media machine is working to keep sponsors happy. I know this isn't a race - but it was billed as the biggest Rib Gatehring in Europe so maybe I expected the biggest Media Frenzy in Europe!

Its not even a lack of info but the fact that there are so many places to look and try to piece it together... here... RI13 website (maybe not!)... twitter... RI13 facebook... suzuki's blog... andy's blog(thanks to andy for posting that here too)... linleyswan facebook... various people posting on fbook need you to log in to see things... AIS data... yellow brick if I'd ever found LSwan's data and if it ever worked...! (Not the best advert for a tracking system!!)

I dont work in media but I think I could get a better media pressence which would make it easier for people to get sponsors in future etc.

Well done with your charity fund rasing by the way £3k is not bad for 8 days work! Again more media pressence might have increased charitable contributions (although clearly you are friends with the right people... some of those donations were VERY generous!!!)
Old 03 August 2013, 22:41   #486

Make: Valiant 520
Engine: Mariner 80 EFI
Much respect Mustrib. You certainly have had one hell of a challenge over the last week.
I felt sorry for you privateer guys in the small ribs when u landed in killybegs. I think that was the leg things started to go pear shaped. A very long leg in dire conditions.
Then followed with little rest to do it all again.
An epic challenge for privateer ribbers.
Well done to u all.
Hope ur back sorts itself out. Im a fellow suffer and dont think my back would have held up either.
Old 03 August 2013, 23:00   #487

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
In a mad cap 30 hours, I travelled to Crosshaven from Dingle with help from the Suzuki boys - thanks fellas, took a very expensive cab ride from Crosshaven to Rosslare, boarded the 20.45 ferry to Pembroke Dock - with Team Oban, arriving at 1.00 am Sat morning, had the car hitched to the trailer by 01.30 am and back on the ferry to Rosslare leaving at 02.45 am. Landed at 7.00 am and drove to Dingle (any further west it would be in Manhattan), loaded up Merlin then drove back to Rosslare and made the 20.45 sailing to Pembroke, then the slog up to Newcastle yet to come.
All achieved with the aid of Tramadol and Muscle relaxants

Sadly when up on the trailer in Dingle, it was all too apparent that the stainless under floor tank on Merlin is split, so if not for my back, this would also be cause for retirement. Quite a pain getting this repair done I think, but maybe time for suspension seats !

Altogether a brilliant event made so by the calibre of people taking part. It was a privilege for me to boat with them and I maybe more than anyone , had the sharpest learning curve over the last 8 days, so lots to digest post event.
Sorry if this has all seemed a little disjointed, but its been hard to manage sleep and have time to write...(I don't know how Paul G does it ...he is a machine!) and for everyone who has rescued me, helped me, looked out for me, encouraged me or cared, I am extremely grateful. Thanks
Well done you

Thanks for keeping us updated, sorry to hear of your injuries and hope all is well soon

Don't stop posting though, any of you guys could write a book on what you experienced.

All the best,

Alex
Old 03 August 2013, 23:34   #488

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
MustRib!! your the man ... RESPECT...
Old 04 August 2013, 07:23   #489

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Silence everywhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Met.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	83612  
Old 04 August 2013, 07:23   #490

Length: 7m +
Ive greatly enjoyed the posts so far so keep them up, looking forward to the full write up on powerboat and rib. I have a lot of respect for all of you, it sounds a major undertaking and based on what ive read not something i would contenplate doing as i dont think my back, knees and other bits could take the hammerring, your all completely nuts but nuts in a good way. Wishing you better weather for the rest of the trip.

All the best mark.
Old 04 August 2013, 08:49   #491

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
AIS giving Seawolf just off the headland near Crookhaven
T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 09:10   #492

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T 15 View Post
AIS giving Seawolf just off the headland near Crookhaven
And The Fastnet on starboard now, the worst behind them now, but no squawk from Top Hat :-(

All these brilliant first hand updates give a great sense of just what a challenge this event is. Could be this one is The One of all so far! Everyone who took it on will-justifiably- dine out on it for years :-)
Thar she blows, Top Hat off Three Castle Head approaching The Mizzen. :-)
Old 04 August 2013, 11:11   #493

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
We hope to have an early start tomorrow for Crosshaven via the Skelligs. The intention is then to go straight to Milford Haven ,missing out Kilmore Quay. The forecast is fair.After the event I will try to post a honest appraisal of boat and kit
We are not sponsored so we will tell as we find as we say in Lancashire
Mike T.
Good on ya Mike keep on it son,your osprey will bring u back safe
Old 04 August 2013, 12:18   #494

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Seawolf in Crosshaven and Top Hat near Rosscarbery (via AIS )
T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 15:03   #495

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
By text from TrevorG on Baby Blue 15.25 today;

Hot Lemon and Baby Blue are now safely back in Neyland marina (nr Milford Haven). Rest of RI2013 fleet still in Ireland following on tomorrow or later. F me it was rough today!

Cant really say any more than his last statement.....

On one shoulder I'm thinking I wish I was there, on the other I'm thinking I'd have chickened out !

Respect to everyone in , on , involved with it or now out of it for whatever reason
Old 04 August 2013, 15:26   #496
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Well done Trev I hope he took the Gopro
Old 04 August 2013, 16:00   #497
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Cant really say any more than his last statement.....
...other than to mention that the Redbay 950 didn't start in Wales and so didn't return there having completed the Irish course with Hot Lemon.
Old 04 August 2013, 22:48   #498
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Well done Trev I hope he took the Gopro
Well - Back home now and Baby Blue is tucked up in the garage for a few weeks.
Once I've caught up with a week's worth of e-mails I'll put together and post a log and stuff that we learnt...
Lots of Go Pro footage but it never looks as rough on the Go-Pro as it does when you're there!

Now - after 4 hours of rough seas crossing the Irish sea followed by a 5 hour drive home and unpacking - I'm off to sleep in my own bed at last!

Trev
Old 04 August 2013, 23:23   #499
Dhf

Length: no boat
Thats amazing proof of the capabilities of a well equiped rib in the right hands, hats off to Baby Blue n crew.
Old 04 August 2013, 23:28   #500

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Well - Back home now and Baby Blue is tucked up in the garage for a few weeks.
Once I've caught up with a week's worth of e-mails I'll put together and post a log and stuff that we learnt...
Lots of Go Pro footage but it never looks as rough on the Go-Pro as it does when you're there!

Now - after 4 hours of rough seas crossing the Irish sea followed by a 5 hour drive home and unpacking - I'm off to sleep in my own bed at last!

Trev
Well done mate! You guys and baby blue are legends!!!