Old 06 June 2005, 09:16   #21

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 5.7m
Make: Robinson Marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: honda 4stroke 50hp
I went to the Rib and Sportsboat show a couple months back in Southampton, but enjoyed this show much better. There were certainly more ribs on show at Ribex, with of course the ability to try a few out. It certainly gave me ideas on what rib I would like next, what seating arrangements I would like etc etc.. I thought it was well worth going to.
Old 06 June 2005, 09:44   #22

Town: Cowes
Boat name: April Blue
Make: Humber 6.5 Extreme
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
I was at the show for the 3 days. Humber asked me to put my RIB on their display which was good as it gave me a mooring at the show and they cleaned it for me.

I also visited the Southampton Sports Boat and RIB show. Ribex was far better and more friendly.

The welcome on the Pontoons was great and the access to the boats was very free and easy and demos.available to anybody who asked.

The rain was a pain but we are all involved in boating where we often get wet.

Roy Webster
Old 06 June 2005, 10:06   #23

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
good show

we had a very good show its our first ribex, and found it good value for money. compared with other shows ( london, southampton ,miami , genevor )

its not always quantity of people but quality from my point of view .

and with one boat going on the back of a customers car this morning and two deposits taken i can only praise ribex

the wether, well hugo is not god . and serious buyers will not be put of by a bit of rain

we asked to book for next year on saturday afternoon.

so fairplay to ribex for trying and if anyone else wants to do a better show, put up the money and take your chances we would exibit
Old 06 June 2005, 10:21   #24

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA
and with one boat going on the back of a customers car this morning and two deposits taken i can only praise ribex

the wether, well hugo is not god . and serious buyers will not be put of by a bit of rain

so fairplay to ribex for trying and if anyone else wants to do a better show, put up the money and take your chances we would exibit
Well said that man!
Old 06 June 2005, 10:31   #25

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
This can be and is said of every show.
1 serious buyer is worth 10 "tyre kickers"

My point was that this is trying to be a show for everyone not just the serious Rib user/owner.
Last year there were on water display's a plenty, this year hardly any.
These helped, IMHO, to break the tedium for the wife and kids if they are not that keen on ribs!

I agree with the point of making the hard standing smaller.
It gave the show a busy feel, which is good.
There were lots of wide open spaces last year.

I am sorry you had a raw deal JK, you should have come and found me in the hotel bar!!

Regards
Old 06 June 2005, 10:34   #26

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I actually was a little bored. My son (15) loved the opportunity to go out in a zapcat (or was it a thunder cat - I get confused) and 70mph in BananaShark.

I enjoyed a blast with Andre in the 750 Parker, although the lack of engine noise (except prop noise when the prop was out of the water) and hence lack of aural feedback to the passenger in the second row as to what was going to happen in the immediate future, coupled with, I suspect, a slightly smoother ride with a tad less certainty as when and how the bumps - when they came - were going to arrive, made it a slightly less 'certain', 'predictable' ride than my 6.5M Solent.

Otherwise - the reality is that I am not in the market for a new Rib in the next 18 moths, by which time technology will have progressed - I do not need any magic cleaning compound - and I don't want any clothes.

What I do want was not there - aftermarket advice and bits:

* bilge pumps that work, with their advice on installation
* large cosmetically acceptable velcro type pads to secure a flying bow cushion
* stainless steel fire extinguishers

all at a discount!

What was there was a chance to chat to some great ribsters!

I had a slightly dull chat with Hugo who did not seem greatly interested in my collection National Press contacts - strange for the editor of a far from mainstream magazine.....

Bruce
Old 06 June 2005, 10:53   #27

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Does any of the Ribnet community plan on attending the Seawork/Divework/Ribwork 2005 show? It looks interseting but more aligned to comercial users.

I had considered a trip to Ribex but from here it's a bit of trek being as I didnt need too many bits and bobs. Did also wonder about getting myself a Ribnet polo shirt and having my user name embroidered on, if I bumped into any of you including HMS you'd know who I was.

Cokee, did you consider a bespoke embroidery option?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2005, 11:40   #28

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
I am working at Seawork.
Will be there all three days.

Regards
Old 06 June 2005, 16:31   #29

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Well I had a great time at RIBex. It was brilliant to meet so many old friends and also to puts faces to names I knew through RIBnet, BIBOA and on book covers!

I thought the show was more interesting than last year with more to see on the hard and more boats on the pontoons. As Jon Brooks said, it would have been nice to have one or two more waterborne displays such as Mark Threadgold's driving demo.

We were pretty busy on the BIBOA stand, especially on Saturday, and I'm looking forward to next year's show already! See you all again in 2006 (if not before)!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2005, 18:27   #30

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
As an exhibitor must say the weather spoilt the show. Anyway it was great to see so many fellow members and hopefully most had managed to get a ride on the PARKER 750RS
It was nice to have SOLENT RIBS as neighbours, Lee, Tim and sorry but just can't remember your other chaps name, but it was great to meet you all . I really enjoyed our conversations . Perhaps we will meet up again and have a beer or two

I left at 5 with Wiesia and Ken and headed off for Littlehampton via the Owers. The weather was not that bad as I had expected. Only around the Owers a bit bumpy but that was nothing for a 750 mtr rib and a 225 Verado. With the following seas we made it to LA for 6:30 and had to wait about 30 minutes for the tide before we could enter LA

A good show but must say have missed Andy Clarke. He was fantastic a very witty commentator who knew just how to run the show. Steve , Hugo as much as you try you just cannot replace him
Old 06 June 2005, 18:48   #31

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
...missed Andy Clarke. He was fantastic a very witty commentator who knew just how to run the show.
Before my time, I'm afraid, but Andy's reputation precedes him
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2005, 18:55   #32

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
I think I tend to agree with Bruce. The show was great for those wanting to buy a RIB and try out a load of different boats (I guess this is the main purpose of the show), but there isn't really anything there to accomodate current owners. It would have been great to have loads of stands from suppliers offering show deals on spangly kit...just like soton show but without all the stands that a ribber is not interested in.

Having said that I did have a good day as we all like to check out other RIBs and dream about what we might have one day....

Tim
Old 06 June 2005, 19:56   #33

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
My own experience

Hi All,

This was my first show, working with an exhibitor (Ocean Ribs).

However, I did learn a lot over the last three days.

1. How much the market has developed over the last couple of years with craft design, engine development and also customer expectations. Cookee & Kitten, I loved your new boat "Sevety Seven" good luck with it.

2. The Pascoe craft were in a differnet league! but what would they be like in in a big sea in the channel or the Irish Sea? Although the 'eye candy' had to run for cover with ensueing rain. Interresting in stilleto's on a floating dock

3. The Weather will always play a part for attendance figures. As I understand about 9000 people went through the gates last year. I wonder what the true figures will be for this year?

4. Hugo will never make a good compare, leave it to the pro's.
But he did try.

5. Of those visitng the show how many were serious buyers or just there to demo boats because they were on holiday?

6. Displays both on and off the water were lacking, but as i understand it the Leader of the Army Display Team has now retired and enjoying his new venture in civvy street, so no display team
The lifeboat crews did a sterling job of trying to keep the crowds entertained. Well done lads.

Maybe Ribex should think of turning this into a Bi-Annuall event!

All in all a good w/end was had by myself and of those who i met with said the same.

See you all next year!!!!
Old 06 June 2005, 20:21   #34

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
For what its worth,

I went to the show. Got what I wanted out of it, some test drives on different RIBS.

But maybe it would have attracted more casual visitors, and therefore more revenue, if it had been somewhere on the mainland side of the Solent.

I went by Car, Hovercraft, Taxi, Chainlink Ferry and Shanks Pony. Bit of a trek and I was only going from Hayling Island. We went as quite a large group and found that we couldn't get our car on the Portsmouth to Ryde ferry. Don't know if any one else had the same problems.

We should have taken our boats, I know...........
Old 06 June 2005, 20:25   #35

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
we couldn't get our car on the Portsmouth to Ryde ferry. Don't know if any one else had the same problems.
Quite possibly, it's a foot-passenger only ferry!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2005, 20:32   #36

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Good Show ... if a little short!

I went to the Show on Friday and again yesterday.

I am in the market for an 8 metre RIB for next season.

Those exhibitors in whose boats I was interested were generally friendly and very helpful. This must have been difficult to keep up over the last couple of days, given the weather conditions. Well done!

I had a sea trial on 3 boats, but for various reasons, I am afraid that none of them meet all of my requirements.

It was good to catch up with Richard & Louise and to meet some of the other RIBnetters who post on this board.

A special "thank you" goes to Mark Pascoe, who kindly allowed Shirley and I to shelter in the Pascoe tent, during Friday's downpour!

Cheers!

Chris.
Old 06 June 2005, 20:36   #37
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
I had a sea trial on 3 boats, but for various reasons, I am afraid that none of them meet all of my requirements.
Don't leave us in suspense like that! What are your requirements, and where did they fall short? Go on, spill the beans!

John
Old 06 June 2005, 20:48   #38

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
the wether, well hugo is not god .
I think he's argue with you about that RIVA. .......anyway I am glad you all mostly had a good time.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2005, 20:58   #39

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
.... but for various reasons, I am afraid that none of them meet all of my requirements.
Chris, will anything, ever?
Old 06 June 2005, 21:32   #40

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
we couldn't get our car on the Portsmouth to Ryde ferry. Don't know if any one else had the same problems.

Quite possibly, it's a foot-passenger only ferry!

Well I wasn't in charge of that bit. I got kicked out in the car park with a hangover to go and book a car across to the IOW. I thought it was to Ryde. I know it wasn't to Cowes. And it was the drivers problem once we got to the IOW.

So where does it go then.

Anyway it was a 'Jolly's Boy Outing' , and I think it turned out all the better for the lack of any sort of organisation.

Maybe thats why I think it should be on the mainland. It would be simple to get to then......