Old 04 June 2005, 22:12   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Ribex

Had a good day at RIBEX today. I ended up going over on the Red Jet in the end, but made up for it by getting wet later on! Ten quid for the return ferry and show ticket seems very reasonable to me.

Good to meet up with some old friends and put some new faces to names. Louise was doing stalwart work on the BIBOA stand, drumming up interest by giving free samples of the latest RIBlines magazine (it's a rather good read actually -- really enjoyed Bruce's article!).

There was a really good range of boats on show, with plenty of choice for anyone wanting to have a demo. I tried the new Arctic Blue 27 (stepped hull, good ride, very well finished), the Parker 700 with a Verado 225 (really good ride but could do with some bow ballast -- made me grin a lot!), the RIB-X 640 (nothing like as bad as some people would have you believe), and the Ribcraft 585 (lovely ride, feels like a much bigger boat).

The stars of the show were undoubtedly the Pascoe superyacht tenders though. Two 10 metre RIBS, one open, one with a cabin -- both destined to be tenders for the same boat! Beautiful to look at, superbly made with fanatical attention to detail. Also ludicrously expensive. I've put some pictures in the gallery.

After such a good say it was a bit disappointing to have my after-show drink with some of the exhibitors curtailed when I was asked to leave. Hugo Montgomery Swan took me to one side and explained in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome. But hey, it's his party and he calls the shots. You'll always be welcome on RIBnet Hugo!

John
Old 04 June 2005, 22:22   #2

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
After such a good say it was a bit disappointing to have my after-show drink with some of the exhibitors curtailed when I was asked to leave. Hugo Montgomery Swan took me to one side and explained in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome. But hey, it's his party and he calls the shots. You'll always be welcome on RIBnet Hugo!
That seems a tad harsh, but oh well, just adds to an ever growing opinion...

Show sounds great, really disappointed I missed it, hope everyone had a wicked time!
Old 05 June 2005, 00:27   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:

John
Presumably he refunded your RIBEX entry fee at that point?
Old 05 June 2005, 03:10   #4

Town: London
Boat name: event horizon
Make: Custom
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard
Hms

Strange comment....... in one breath you praise the guy for a superb show but in the other knock him for drinking the booze dedicated to those exhibitors who paid good money to attend and supported him ?

Why should you be made an exception? Perhaps you would like to share the FTP codes for Ribnet with us for a day or two? I know we have nothing to do with the site but after all I could give the info to Hugo for a day or so to make updates..................he could even replace Louise

As you say its your site but if you felt that bad why mention it in the first place.......the guys alright and at least does his bit for ribbing

Had a good day at RIBEX today. I ended up going over on the Red Jet in the end, but made up for it by getting wet later on! Ten quid for the return ferry and show ticket seems very reasonable to me.

After such a good say it was a bit disappointing to have my after-show drink with some of the exhibitors curtailed when I was asked to leave. Hugo Montgomery Swan took me to one side and explained in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome.
Old 05 June 2005, 06:57   #5

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Rekrap

Have you been drinking?

Mark
Old 05 June 2005, 08:15   #6

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Oh dear! Some things never change, do they!
Old 05 June 2005, 09:48   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REKRAP
Perhaps you would like to share the FTP codes for Ribnet with us for a day or two? I know we have nothing to do with the site but after all I could give the info to Hugo for a day or so to make updates..................
What an odd anaology. You don't need any FTP codes to update RIBnet, just register and post.

Despite the fact that you have earned the rare distinction of being banned from RIBnet for repeated abusive posts (under your original user name of David B) I turned a blind eye to you re-registering under a different name. Looks like that may have been a mistake!

Oh, and for your information, I paid for my beer

John
Old 05 June 2005, 10:08   #8

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
the RIB-X 640 (nothing like as bad as some people would have you believe)
Well, well, well .......... did someone see the light at the end of the tunnel???
Old 05 June 2005, 11:15   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 5.7m
Make: Robinson Marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: honda 4stroke 50hp
Ribex

I went across on the Jet as well, about 1.30ish.. the wait for tickets to the Jet was about 20 minutes so I missed one Red Jet. They had also run out of Ribex tickets so they gave me a reduced fare.

By the way that ribcraft 585 was a great ride.

Dave the only 'punk ribber'
Old 05 June 2005, 12:36   #10

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
Well, well, well .......... did someone see the light at the end of the tunnel???
Not sure you're refering to the right phrase there, as far as I know, there is no light at the end of that particular tunnel.

"Have you seen the light!" maybe what you're lookin for, and I don't think he has!
Old 05 June 2005, 14:55   #11

Town: Fareham
Hugo Montgomery Swan .....Who's He?
Old 05 June 2005, 14:59   #12

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Solent Boaters Meet next Monday for a catch up Andy.

Us
Old 05 June 2005, 20:22   #13

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
Not sure you're refering to the right phrase there, as far as I know, there is no light at the end of that particular tunnel.
"Have you seen the light!" maybe what you're lookin for, and I don't think he has!
Old 05 June 2005, 20:56   #14

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Quote:
Hugo Montgomery Swan took me to one side and explained in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome. But hey, it's his party and he calls the shots. You'll always be welcome on RIBnet Hugo!
JK

Suggest you ask RIBQuest why they pulled out at the eleventh plus hour.... they may have some empathy with your position.

As for us ...well after last years "treatment" ....... well, we just dont need it !!

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 05 June 2005, 21:46   #15

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Seemed to have missed something along the way - WHY is there this bad feeling??? Just curious!!!
Old 05 June 2005, 22:05   #16

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
went today to show, weather was filthy and that was the best bit about the show.. think i got overcharged by red funnel too.

spoke to a few of the bigger exhibitors who said it was a flop and most were packing up and on their way home by 3pm.

On the subject of the mag, i think it has gone downhill, it seems to get thinner and thinner in actual meat, with repeat articles just written by someone new and long waffling stories, one article sticks in my mind as after 1.5 pages the author almost admits all hes just written is wrong and in about 2 more columns he states his opinion on what he now THINKS may be the truth. I think HMS needs to do some serious damage control
Old 06 June 2005, 05:55   #17

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Engine: Suzuki 175
Ribex

John

What I found best about Ribex was the opportunity to meet people. Put faces to names and talk to fellow enthusiasts.
Louise was doing sterling work for BIBOA - well done (and good to meet Louise and Richard)

Only the exhibitors can confirm the success or otherwise of the show. From my viewpoint it was a good opportunity to pull ribsters together - and see what was new, the weather was actually ideal for trying a new boat/hull.

I' am glad I met youself before you were ejected! Unless I have misread this - it is signal to RibNet followers to give Rib International a wide berth.

Paul
Old 06 June 2005, 07:06   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beaurain
Unless I have misread this - it is signal to RibNet followers to give Rib International a wide berth.
Not at all. Everyone should make up their own minds about whether buying or advertising in the magazine (or visiting or exhibiting at the show) is the right thing for them.

There have been a series of discussions in the forums about the pros and cons of RIB International and RIBEX, but I have certainly never run any sort of campaign against either of them. On the other hand Hugo Montgomery Swan doesn't always do himself any favours though, as this thread amply demonstrated!

John
Old 06 June 2005, 08:26   #19

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Well I arrived late Friday evening.
Spent most of Saturday in the show.

I spoke to my customers at the show and most were saying the same thing.
They all seemed to feel Friday was a waste of time, Saturday was a little busier though.
Will be interesting to see how they feel later this week.

The big thing I noticed was the lack of on water displays.
There only seemed to be RNLI one or did I miss any others?

The hard standing area seemed to have shrunk compared to last year.

Regards
Old 06 June 2005, 08:59   #20

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
I had a great time was not there Fri but Sat and Sun was good , the weather kept alot of people away , doing demo's on Sat was fun but very few on Sun . I think the display area worked well being more compact as opposed to last year.

Re the on the water demo's we all laughed last year at the army one . Met some great people from this forum and Kim's site as well . Simmo and son were out and about on Sat night saw Bruce as well . I also met Andre from Parker Ribs what a nice guy he is . I feel the show was well laid out ,shame some manufacturers did not show but there was plenty of ribs on show the Pascoe ribs were amazing although the girls were better last year. I hope next year the weather is better as i for one will be there.