Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 November 2006, 15:53   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Make: Jcraft
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
choosing a Rib

www.jcraft.co.uk have an 6.8m summer demo boat with 175Hp evinrude for immediate sale, based in Portsmouth they offer free demos. speak to jamie there. in my opinion for a 5.8 the max hp you would need is 150hp. The £2500.oo for a trailer also seems a little extortionate try speaking to Arthur at Degraff trailers.
__________________

__________________
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 17:35   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
Hi,

I am not new to boats but have never owned a RIB and I am looking for a little advice.

We are a family of 4 ( with 2 boys aged 10 and 9 ) and want a rib for fun but also the ability to undertake some cruising.
The rib will be based in Plymouth and either kept on hard standing or if the cost is in budget then taken out of the water by forklift and kept on racking. It would only get towed maybe 1 or twice a year.
I am trying to buy a boat that will give us 5 years use as the boys grow, so will be used for trips as far as IOW and across to Jersey along with towing skiers and toys.

I have spent many hours reading these forums assimilating as much information as I can, and I am now starting to go round in circles. So I phoned Ribcraft (only 45 mins away from me) and booked a factory visit. I was shown round by the aftersales guy who was very helpful and answered any questions I had. The only down side so far is the 5-6 month delivery time.

They are sending me a quote for a 585 with 2 single and 2 double jockey seats with a Suzuki 140 4 four stroke and then I’m off for a demo down at Weymouth next weekend.

So, back to the advice I need,

Is the Suzuki 140 the right engine ?
Do I really need their £2500 trailer ?
Can I buy better for my 20 (ish) thousand ?

Or should I take the gamble I will find a good new’ish rib for 20k second hand between March and May next year ?

Many thanks

Tim

Picked up new 585 with suzy 140 on rapide trailer earlier this year
All working fine
Compared to the snipe trailer I had with my old ribcraft 5.3, the new trailer is so much easier to launch and recover from. I travel from Herts to the coast when using the boat so reduced time farting about on the slipway is really important to me, not so for you
As ever one of the main things to consider about buying a rib is the value it retains and how easy it is to sell. In that regard IMHO Ribcraft as a brand and the 585 as a boat is a hard to beat sub 6m combination.



Andrew
__________________

__________________
Andrew Edge
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 17:43   #23
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
I back the Edges quote with regards resale. Notwithstanding my other comments. For resale at the moment you can't beat a Ribcraft with the right seating. In fact thinking about it I meet an increasing number of people with perfectly good RIBs but would like a RIB with side by seating.
Seeing as you are in the buying stage go for one with at least side by seating.
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 18:09   #24
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Oh and if you ever want to tour round the country with your RIB then the RIBCRAFT 585 is probably the largest boat you want to do it with.

Having said that if you have a Marina berth or mooring then go for a 7 meter plus boat.
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 18:21   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
I loved towing my 9m outfit - the triple axle trailer was so stable and everyone got out of my way!!! Until I found somewhere to keep my boat it had to go everywhere with me - even to Tesco and MacDonalds although not through the drive though!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 18:22   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edges View Post
Picked up new 585 with suzy 140 on rapide trailer earlier this year
All working fine
Compared to the snipe trailer I had with my old ribcraft 5.3, the new trailer is so much easier to launch and recover from. I travel from Herts to the coast when using the boat so reduced time farting about on the slipway is really important to me, not so for you
As ever one of the main things to consider about buying a rib is the value it retains and how easy it is to sell. In that regard IMHO Ribcraft as a brand and the 585 as a boat is a hard to beat sub 6m combination.



Andrew
Andrew - was your Snipe trailer a multi-roller type? I find it odd that you'd take more time launching & recovering a 5.3?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 19:00   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 195
I never expected so many people would reply.

My options have been opend up a great deal, all I need to do now is draw a line at just how big I am willing to go

I can now limit my choice to about 6 manufacturers with a size range of 5.85 to 7.5 meters. Still leaves alot of ribs to choose from, just need to keep the budget on track and not get carried away.
__________________
v666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2006, 03:22   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
Hi,

I am not new to boats but have never owned a RIB and I am looking for a little advice.

We are a family of 4 ( with 2 boys aged 10 and 9 ) and want a rib for fun but also the ability to undertake some cruising.
The rib will be based in Plymouth and either kept on hard standing or if the cost is in budget then taken out of the water by forklift and kept on racking. It would only get towed maybe 1 or twice a year.
I am trying to buy a boat that will give us 5 years use as the boys grow, so will be used for trips as far as IOW and across to Jersey along with towing skiers and toys.

I have spent many hours reading these forums assimilating as much information as I can, and I am now starting to go round in circles. So I phoned Ribcraft (only 45 mins away from me) and booked a factory visit. I was shown round by the aftersales guy who was very helpful and answered any questions I had. The only down side so far is the 5-6 month delivery time.

They are sending me a quote for a 585 with 2 single and 2 double jockey seats with a Suzuki 140 4 four stroke and then I’m off for a demo down at Weymouth next weekend.

So, back to the advice I need,

Is the Suzuki 140 the right engine ?
Do I really need their £2500 trailer ?
Can I buy better for my 20 (ish) thousand ?

Or should I take the gamble I will find a good new’ish rib for 20k second hand between March and May next year ?

Many thanks

Tim
I've just been through this exercise (new RC) in hindsight

I picked the 150 on the back of a new 585 (approx £1000 over 140)

still over revving with 23" prop and chine walking...which although all very exciting,in a jesus ceerist sort of way (and what I wanted) I think because of extra weight on transom slightly more bow high and slightly rougher power delivery
The 140 is probably a better matched combo,the extra go is not neccessary.

(RC did tell me this ) Deal with Dorian Martin.

the extra's do add up, £25,000 is still conservative.

If you can stretch there is a nice 6.5 (this years) with 175 for sale on this forum?
__________________
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2006, 04:42   #29
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Our boats are a little bigger and more money than you're looking for, but as you are so close you would be welcome to come over for a visit - we're at Churchstow near Kingsbridge.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2006, 08:15   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Andrew - was your Snipe trailer a multi-roller type? I find it odd that you'd take more time launching & recovering a 5.3?
Hi Brad
Yes it was multi roller but not as many rollers and the way the rapide is set up the boat sits kind of lower "in" the trailer rather than perched "on" top so when recovering you can "shoot it straight in" (so to speak!! And when towing (like to North Wales ribnet cruise ) it all feels more secure sitting that bit lower

The winch is much more efficient and easy to use (2 speed etc)
The jockey wheel is pnuematic not solid like the snipe
And its nice not to have to worry about bearings and brakes for at least a year !!!

I'm sure I could have tweaked the snipe but i'm a lazy git!

Hope to see you and the good lady again in Cornwall 2007 (we're there end of july)



Andrew
__________________

__________________
Andrew Edge
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.