Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Bargain or scam??!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/luxury-rib-nov...QQcmdZViewItem

Look at the payment details...

I think it's a scam-but not 100% sure.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 16:33   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I think that looks real. Dont like the look of the boat. The engine I suppose would pay for most of it if you were to sell it and put something smaller on (which I think you'd have to do as it look well over-powered at the moment). I did exactly that when I bought my ribcraft; it had a 90 tohatsu on the back. Sold that and bought a mariner 60. Got an almost free boat out of it in the end
Old 20 November 2006, 16:35   #3

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Don't think its a scam, and a 1998, 90 Honda on a 4.8 m Rib?
Noy sure if its a bargain either!
Old 20 November 2006, 17:48   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
the manufacturer of the rib is called Verania or something like that, they also make large jet ribs for the P&0 Cruise liners, those look awesome ribs, i guess you could make contact and have a look at it before money passes hands!!
Old 20 November 2006, 18:56   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I basically agree with Tim, but insisting on Paypal for a deal like this strikes me as odd. I would expect to pay cash on collection.

Might be worth suggesting cash if anyone is interested in the boat and see what he says. If not you'd need some way of making the Paypal payment between taking posession of the boat and driving away with it.

John
Old 20 November 2006, 19:11   #6

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Quote:
The engine its self is worth £6000 the engine has very little running hours and is a 1998 - 1999 engine

Manufacturer's site here:
http://www.novuraniaribs.co.uk
Old 20 November 2006, 19:42   #7

Having read it again I'm sure he's genuine, he sold a boat trailer in September and this rib is in the pic in the background and the pic's are taken in the same location he's still using.
In the text he say's
"This is a very well looked after boat and i am willing for the successful bidder to put the boat in the water for a try before you buy "
I think paypal is listed as the default option, I'd be very surprised if cash on collection wasn't OK.
Still don't think its a bargain though!
Old 20 November 2006, 19:42   #8

Town: Aylesbury
I would say looking at the cr*p the person with the ebay account has been buying, its not quite 'legit' - not your typical ribbing person - and it doesn't say they are selling on behalf of someone else either.

By brother-inlaw used ebay for 4 years for only buying tools and car parts and had a rating of 150 @ 100% positive feedback.

Then suddenly last month ebay sent him an email saying his account had been suspended due to fraudulent items being listed via account.
Turns out it was 35 Chloe ladies handbags (fakes) being listed by some ass**** in newyork - they had hacked his account and listed all these bloody handbags! - luckly 'Chloe' the real designer company keeps a close eye on ebay auctions with listings of their products and reported the fakes to ebay before any had sold. My brother-inlaw still lost his account though and all ebay would do was send the automated cut and paste emails to him in response.

This auction does not look right. I also notice they try to add confidence to the bidders by saying you can 'try before you buy'

Keep well away would be my advice - Anyone that requests instant payment via paypal on an item this price is up to something - whats wrong with a good old bankers draft or cash?!
Old 20 November 2006, 19:48   #9

actually, yes - just seen the trailer in his feedback items, this changes things a bit i guess, but i still wouldn't pay paypal before seeing it.
Old 20 November 2006, 19:51   #10

He's not asking for payment up front, this is what he say's
"PAYPAL ACCOUNTS ONLY. you must arrange pick yourself with me as soon as you have won the item we will arrange what ever day which is good for you"

I assume he means 'pick up yourself'
I'll ask if cash on collection is OK, If he is genuine its a damn shame ebay don't tighten up on security and we wouldn't be having to do this!
Old 20 November 2006, 19:57   #11

Yeah, ebay security is at an all time low - They could make it safe, by having a login system like natwest for example, where your passwords are entered on a random sequence everytime you login (this makes it impossible for keystroke programs to nick your passwords etc) - but then ebay and the auction sniper companies wouldn't be able to make so much money out of each other then would they.
Old 20 November 2006, 20:57   #12

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
When my eBay account was hacked on to last year, I was advised by eBay to ensure my password had both letters and numbers in and even symbols...

What really surprises me is the lack of effort some people put into their adverts. Especially if they are selling high value items like RIBs. His grammar is appalling. There is a lack of information, and he hasn't bothered to alter the eBay settings. He could of at least pulled the boat onto the road to get a full length shot. How does he expect to sell if he can't even list it in 'boats and watercraft'.
Old 20 November 2006, 22:06   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
look at his other items there are some reg no's, there must be some one on here that could check the address

James
Old 21 November 2006, 06:47   #14

just had a reply,
"yes cash on collection will be ok as long as collection is arranged as soon as possible hope this helps you thank you for your question"

he is genuine, just in a hurry to shift it!
Old 21 November 2006, 07:01   #15

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
When my eBay account was hacked on to last year, I was advised by eBay to ensure my password had both letters and numbers in and even symbols...

What really surprises me is the lack of effort some people put into their adverts. Especially if they are selling high value items like RIBs. His grammar is appalling. There is a lack of information, and he hasn't bothered to alter the eBay settings. He could of at least pulled the boat onto the road to get a full length shot. How does he expect to sell if he can't even list it in 'boats and watercraft'.
Maybe he could'nt risk it being seen?