I've been reading this thread with great interest and it realy supprises me to see that any T D and H can have a compnay hiring a boats illegaly in this country and risk the lives of people without having any second thougts about it.
UNBELIVABLE and SHOCKING!
If this was happening in Greece and the compnay was found to be at fault the owner/s of that company would go to jail on the spot without trial! The laws are very stricked indeed unlike in this country.
To get a licence as a RIB or any other charter operation you need the following:
1. Not to have a criminal record
2. Boats to be not older than 3 years
3. To have minimum 3 boats
4. All the boats to be equiped according the the Hellenic Coastguard regulations i.e. life jackets the number of which is the number of people permited on the boat plus one, plus minimum 4 for children, 1 open liferaft to be able to accomodate 60% of the max amount of people on board as specified on the licence, whistle, 4 HH flares, 2 parashute, 2 smoke, torch, knife, 3kg min Fire ext, 1st aid kit as specified by the law, horn, aux engine not less than 5bhp, ropes, anchor, 2 life boys with 15 mtr rope, 1 floating anchor, spare spark plugs, basic tool kit as specified by the regulations and a set of oars, VHF or if not availiable mobile emergency phone and a FM/AM/LW radio.
5. The boat should have fully comprehenssive insurance by a recognised major insurance company.
6. The coastguard inspects the boats, paers etc 4 times per year or every quarter and gives a little ticket that you have to display on the boat at all times.
If you do not have the licence and the ticket you CANNOT hire a boat and if you hire it illegaly you go to jail without trial, boat is confiscated and you have to pay (I think) Euro 100,000 fine or may be is more can't remember.