Originally Posted by spectre racing
she is the by far the most safe boat operated by the company
Need one say any more?
Old 30 June 2005, 22:53   #42

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
Spectre of Defeat sold in January of this year to a dive school and now operates commercially in Cyprus fitted with twin yamaha 250hp engines:

http://www.atlantic-web.com/syndicats.htm

Originally operated by the Special Boat Squadron she was made to a spec far higher than most leisure ribs operated in the Solent for charter.

She was fitted up by BHG marine and surveyed by Diana Roberts Associates in Hamble.

Atlantic web strongly disagrees with the decision that she was unsafe. Infact she is the by far the most safe boat operated by the company which today looks after some of the largest ribs on the Hamble.

Atlantic web maintains an impeccable safety record to date yet keeps a sense of fun and enjoyment at arms length from the health and safety culture. That is why we are at the cutting edge of events by being the first to introduce concepts such as amphibious paintball and go-karting on water.

The MCA have their views as does the harbour master but the company intends to take more serious legal advice over the next few weeks and will be appealing the decision of the magistrates.

After a very successful article in the telegraph written by olympic oarsman James Cracknell the London Offshore Powerboat Club is growing at a phenomanal rate and introducing many new faces into the world of ribs. That is a very positive factor in a cottage industry which needs all the support it can muster.
Below is my opinion and nothing more……

This seems to me like complete PUFF!!!!

Until you overturn the decision you surely should not be running a boat? It seems you are not willing to respond the public interest in your operations.

Your livelihood and the lives of those who naively pay you for these charters are in your hands, it would seem obvious to comply and maybe go even further would avoid the aggravation. I have seen these outfits before and profit driven RIB monkeys soon come unstuck let me tell you! Your naff press release posted on here which does not address any of the concerns seems to confirm that you feel you are above the law.

I personally would not touch you operation with a barge pole as it stands! I am fairly confident that your attempt to address the concerns in this group will have probably not done anything to help your demise.

Respectfully

Stephen
Old 30 June 2005, 22:55   #43

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Seconded
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2005, 07:39   #44

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
[QUOTE=John Kennett] From the MCA web site

==================================================

EASTLEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL PROSECUTE VESSEL OPERATING WITH SUSPENDED LICENCE IN SOLENT

He was sentenced to a 6 month conditional discharge and £500 costs.

It cost more than 500 pounds a year to keep a boat codded what sort of fine is this ??? Try 2000 pounds
Old 01 July 2005, 07:46   #45

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I've been reading this thread with great interest and it realy supprises me to see that any T D and H can have a compnay hiring a boats illegaly in this country and risk the lives of people without having any second thougts about it.

UNBELIVABLE and SHOCKING!

If this was happening in Greece and the compnay was found to be at fault the owner/s of that company would go to jail on the spot without trial! The laws are very stricked indeed unlike in this country.

To get a licence as a RIB or any other charter operation you need the following:

1. Not to have a criminal record
2. Boats to be not older than 3 years
3. To have minimum 3 boats
4. All the boats to be equiped according the the Hellenic Coastguard regulations i.e. life jackets the number of which is the number of people permited on the boat plus one, plus minimum 4 for children, 1 open liferaft to be able to accomodate 60% of the max amount of people on board as specified on the licence, whistle, 4 HH flares, 2 parashute, 2 smoke, torch, knife, 3kg min Fire ext, 1st aid kit as specified by the law, horn, aux engine not less than 5bhp, ropes, anchor, 2 life boys with 15 mtr rope, 1 floating anchor, spare spark plugs, basic tool kit as specified by the regulations and a set of oars, VHF or if not availiable mobile emergency phone and a FM/AM/LW radio.
5. The boat should have fully comprehenssive insurance by a recognised major insurance company.
6. The coastguard inspects the boats, paers etc 4 times per year or every quarter and gives a little ticket that you have to display on the boat at all times.

If you do not have the licence and the ticket you CANNOT hire a boat and if you hire it illegaly you go to jail without trial, boat is confiscated and you have to pay (I think) Euro 100,000 fine or may be is more can't remember.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2005, 11:43   #46

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
[QUOTE=simonnud]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
From the MCA web site

==================================================

EASTLEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL PROSECUTE VESSEL OPERATING WITH SUSPENDED LICENCE IN SOLENT

He was sentenced to a 6 month conditional discharge and £500 costs.

It cost more than 500 pounds a year to keep a boat codded what sort of fine is this ??? Try 2000 pounds
I agree with this, It was a shame that there was not fine and he was not told to pay all costs, But at least he was found GUILTY!
Old 01 July 2005, 11:52   #47

Town: London & Bolton
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to keytouch
A 6 month conditional discharge? Does that mean there are conditions such as not operating any kind of chartering service? if not what kind of conditions? surely if the conditions are broken then he can be charged with cotempt of court or similar?
Old 04 July 2005, 07:30   #48

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by keytouch
A 6 month conditional discharge? Does that mean there are conditions such as not operating any kind of chartering service? if not what kind of conditions? surely if the conditions are broken then he can be charged with cotempt of court or similar?
Sorry I think it means nothing at all saw him at the weekend with him using the boats. MCA ospray was around talking to him but I don't know what was said if anything.

I still can not belive he got of so lightly