Old 20 February 2017, 17:41   #11

Town: Florida
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Inboard 83hp
Few days delay due to rain on Friday night waiting for AC to catch up to the humidity.

First 250ml can got the two bolt ropes and four of what appeared to be factory patches over slits made to allow tools inside the tube, and now I'll wait for that to cure then move on to some things that glue between the bow ends of the bolt ropes, Zodiac logo panels, etc.

Going to have to order some Hypalon glue to re-attach the rubber hand grabs since I see that PVC adhesive doesn't stick to rubber, but does stick to Hypalon glue, which sticks to rubber.

Order, because last week when I returned a tube to my local West Marine after remembering in the parking lot that the Internet said to check expiration date and found sticker on the tube expiration date was next month, I brought it back in and the salesman agreed that stuff was no good to sell.. We checked the other tube they had on hand and it was also expiring next month. A few days later buying more PVC adhesive I checked the two tubes of Hypalon adhesive they had on the shelf and West Marine had just removed the expiration date stickers from both expiring tubes, re-boxed them, and put them back on the shelves. Wow dishonesty.

But progress!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258 bolt ropes glued on.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	118086  

Old 21 February 2017, 15:16   #12

Length: 10m +
Any creasing can be gone after the glue sets by using a hot air gun . . But dont get it to hot.... Number one advice is when the two panels are bonded is use a hand roller and apply pressure... Roll all over and leave over night to set...

Old 21 February 2017, 20:16   #13

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
All parts on the tube take PVC glue.

If you're experiencing rejection problems, the surfaces may not be clean enough.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
All parts on the tube take PVC glue.

If you're experiencing rejection problems, the surfaces may not be clean enough.
I haven't actually tried gluing it with just the PVC stuff yet. This isn't my actual handle of course but same one--
http://www.ribsforsale.com/images/boats/grab%20handle%20on%20tubes%20of%20zodiac%20yatchli ne%20delux%20420%20deluxe%20rib_l.jpg

I am thinking from the feel of it that it's rubber, but will give it a try with the PVC only as soon as the rain stops again.
Old 22 February 2017, 13:24   #15

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by james63 View Post
I haven't actually tried gluing it with just the PVC stuff yet. This isn't my actual handle of course but same one--
http://www.ribsforsale.com/images/boats/grab%20handle%20on%20tubes%20of%20zodiac%20yatchli ne%20delux%20420%20deluxe%20rib_l.jpg

I am thinking from the feel of it that it's rubber, but will give it a try with the PVC only as soon as the rain stops again.
Those handles are molded thermoplastic (plastomer).

Don't take my word for it... put a drip of MEK on it. If it melts / becomes sticky, it's a plastomer.
Old 26 February 2017, 18:47   #16

It all went back together surprisingly easily.

Thumbnail is upside down but full image doesn't seem to be.. (edit - clicking the thumbnail, then clicking the preview image, brings up non-flipped image. i removed all the tags and flipped it in photoshop but the forum software has spoken.)

It's inflated - those dark lines that make it look like it isn't are stains from sitting so long. Some of that PVC killing Florida sunlight would probably bleach it a little.

Anyone have experience with PVC tube paint? Is that worth doing or junk?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261 ON TRAILER.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	118164  

Tags
bolt rope, projet, pvc, zodiac