Old 09 December 2018, 03:05   #1

Town: Sydney
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp 4stroke
Re-seam vs interior sealant

Hi all,

I have a PVC RIB which has some small leaks along one of the seams at the front.

I split and subsequently fixed a seam a while back that had deteriorated through age (the boat is about 10 years old) which seems to have fixed that seam, however there are some small leaks along the other seam and I don't want to peel it off and re-seam for just a few pinholes. It seems a bit drastic.

I have done some research on the forum and am considering one (or both) of the following:
  1. Spraying some inland marine sealant into the front compartment and rotating around (e.g. http://www.inlandmarine.us/seal.html).
  2. Taping over the existing seams with some wider seam tape (current seams are 50mm so would tape 10-20mm extra on the side).

Has anyone attempted either of these methods? Would anyone recommend one over the other, or should I do both?

Cheers,
darbio
Old 09 December 2018, 03:54   #2

Town: Sydney
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp 4stroke
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	127912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	127913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2618.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	127914
Old 09 December 2018, 08:21   #3

Length: 3m +
The glue is degrading. Filling the pin prick hole in it won't stop the glue degrading so it might stop the leak for a few weeks... But then more glue will go.

Taping over seams... May work. But can you get the curve right with just 10mm ? If the existing tape and glue is say 3mm thick that means a perfect radius leaves just 7mm of tape holding on. Is that just as an air seal? Or as the old glue continues to degrade does it become structural?
Old 10 December 2018, 01:43   #4

Town: Langkawi, Malaysia
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The glue is degrading. Filling the pin prick hole in it won't stop the glue degrading so it might stop the leak for a few weeks... But then more glue will go.

Taping over seams... May work. But can you get the curve right with just 10mm ? If the existing tape and glue is say 3mm thick that means a perfect radius leaves just 7mm of tape holding on. Is that just as an air seal? Or as the old glue continues to degrade does it become structural?
I have to agree with Shiny Shoe with regards to the glue. Also the age of your RIB. Putting a tape over the seam will not stop the leak as the air will travel along the original seam and leak out at the end of the tape. If the seam can move just by pulling it apart with your fingers, then it is time for you to consider a new RIB in hypalon for long term purposes.