Old 26 November 2018, 01:04   #1

Town: Texas
Length: 3m +
To paint or NOT to paint?

Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a new Zodiac pro open 5.5 or 550. It is my understanding that if you paint on the tubes/hypalon, within a year or 2, the paint will start to crack because of the movement of the material. I would like the color difference to only be on a small part of the tubes but definitely do NOT want said problem to occur. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Louie
Old 26 November 2018, 01:55   #2

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
A new to you boat or a new boat? Painting hypalon tubes is generally a last ditch effort or maybe more often for a commercial venture where a “working” look is more appropriate . Are they worn or are you just looking to make them a different color?

Jason
Old 26 November 2018, 06:04   #3

Hi Jason. A new boat. Looking to make a part of the tubes a different color. Going on the assumtion, I probably won't be able to have it done when it is originally manufactured. Louie
Old 26 November 2018, 07:42   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
Hi Jason. A new boat. Looking to make a part of the tubes a different color. Going on the assumtion, I probably won't be able to have it done when it is originally manufactured. Louie

Personally I don’t think I’d consider it on new tubes. I haven’t used it myself but hear it can start to peel after a couple of years so had seen it as more of a last option or quick fix knowing it may not last long and may then start to look tatty. I am assuming (others will know I am sure) that once painted, the painted part of the tubes won’t be the same again (you probably need to score them to get a good adhesion), so basically once you do it there is no going back and when it gets tatty it’s probably a repaint job again to keep it looking ok. Suppose it might also depend on how large the area is you are proposing to paint ..,,
Old 26 November 2018, 08:14   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If its a new build there shouldnt be a problem specifying different colours on sections of tube they will either make the tubes up to your request or overclad with wear type patches
Far better than painting tubes which in my opinion is only usefull to eek out a little extra use from tubes that realy need replaced

Edit I'm thinking of uk bespoke builders maybe not so easy with mass production boats but worth asking
Old 26 November 2018, 10:24   #6

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Any warranty issues likely to arise if you paint?
Old 26 November 2018, 15:10   #7

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
To paint or NOT to paint?

Yikes. I assume it’s for a commercial endeavor? Otherwise that would be an unusual choice just for vanity. One of the guys on here painted his 7m tubes yellow for a sea tow business. It can be done.

If you’re factory ordering then maybe you can specify. If you’re buying a stock zodiac with gray or black tubes it’s up to you. I’d discuss with the vendor, they might have some experience with paint.

It’s your boat and your choice but I don’t think you find many people on here who would agree with it unless there is an underlying reason we are missing.
Old 03 December 2018, 23:19   #8

Thank you guys. I will be going to the Zodiac factory/headquarters this week. Should get some info. A health issue is holding things up. Again, thanks again to everyone that responded. Louie
Old 04 December 2018, 07:34   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If its a new build there shouldnt be a problem specifying different colours on sections of tube they will either make the tubes up to your request or overclad with wear type patches
Far better than painting tubes which in my opinion is only usefull to eek out a little extra use from tubes that realy need replaced

Edit I'm thinking of uk bespoke builders maybe not so easy with mass production boats but worth asking
X2 That's the way to go

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2018, 23:25   #10

Factory said colored FABRIC. Louie