Click Here to Login

Old 08 April 2005, 12:34   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Rare US RIB Owner Encounter, He's selling his Ribcraft 5.85

Wednesday afternoon I had a business meeting with a new potential client. About 30 minutes into our conversation, he asked if I knew of Ribcraft USA in Marblehead where I live. Turns our discussion to RIBS for the next 15 minutes! With the rarity of RIBS in the US, I was astounded at the chance encounter.

He has a Ribcraft 5.85, with blue tubes, a 100 hp Yammie, T-top, standing bolster, many electronics, etc. He bought it a few years ago at the Newport Boat Show, after a sea trial in a 40 knot blow when no one else was going out Loves the boat, goes out and jumps waves with the Jetskis and other PWC. It was used in all of the promotional photos for Ribcraft USA for the 5.85, and I was looking at it in their brokerage listings on their site just a week or so prior. He's had some business difficulty, which is what is likely forcing the sale. Though he also said he likes to restore his toys, and a new Ribcraft has nothing to do but wash it down!

He threw out a number of $30,000 USD which would take it away, probably the balance on his note. I'm very happy to have spent only a small fraction of that on my RIB! Just thought I'd share... I have no interest in the sale, only in closing MY sale with him! Though if he sold the boat, it might help my cause

If anyone's interested, here's the listing: http://ribcraftusa.com/ribcraft_5_85_rp.pdf
Old 08 April 2005, 20:35   #2

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
dctucker,

Did you get your sling made? I'd love to see pics of your boat. Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oursearider.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	11253  
Old 08 April 2005, 20:40   #3

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
$30,000 That sound like a lot for a three year old 5.8m rib ! I thought the ole USA was cheaper than Europe ! By the way are you anywhere near Ipswich ???
Old 08 April 2005, 20:43   #4

MMSI: Nope
Nice looking boat Boatster.......nice clear water too. Is that a bloody great fish next to your rib?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oursearider.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	11255  
Old 08 April 2005, 21:10   #5

Hi Robin,

I think that was string of kelp. Yes the water out at Catalina Island is crystal clear, its amazing. This was my second crossing over from the mainland (24 miles). My boat is so short that I can legally tie it to the dinghy dock overnight.

Boatster
Old 08 April 2005, 21:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
$30,000 That sound like a lot for a three year old 5.8m rib ! I thought the ole USA was cheaper than Europe ! By the way are you anywhere near Ipswich ???
I thought it was a lot as well! New list price is apparently in the $50,000 USD range?!?!

Yes, Ipswich is close, in fact, easier by water than by land! Gloucester is sort of "just around the corner" from Marblehead, and Ipswich is just up the Ipswich river from there. Here's a map: http://tinyurl.com/44quv

Ribster- Haven't gotten a sling made, but 1/2" 3 strand nylon line will suffice. I have a quote of $150 USD for one built of that with a central ring, plus appropriate safety hooks, or $120 with just the lines from West Marine Rigging. I can proably have the same thing done locally for substantially less. I need to email the outfit you recommended, and I'm waiting for a reply from Zodiac NA with their price. I'm not in any sort of rush, as I can ramp launch easily enough. I may wind up keeping the boat in a sailing yard with a hoist, hence the research. Or I can try to remember how to splice 3 strand myself and build it for <$50! Or build it out of braid which I do remember how to splice

I'm holding off on pictures until I have some of the boat actually IN the water! Maybe NEXT weekend... I've just nearly finished all of the wiring. Still have a few miscellaneous projects, like like screwing down the seat on the console, replacing the tilt/trim switch (which only runs down, need to reverse the +/- to get it to tilt up!), and a few other little bits. Putting it in my garage for the winter instead of my car was supposed to ensure that it was ready by now!
Old 08 April 2005, 21:48   #7

dctucker,

Over here in California some of the State Park launching cranes require that the sling be ANSI certified. I thought I was going to pay an arm and a leg for one but the company I got my sling from were the cheapest and by far the best for the job. Professionals beyond belief. They have been in the sling business since WW II, great company. I would emphatically recommend them to build your sling for you. My sling, with 4 legs is rated to lift over 10 lbs with each strap at 45 degree angles, overkill.

Can't wait to see your pics.

boatser/ribster
Old 08 April 2005, 21:48   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I think you'd get 15k for that ribcraft over here aint't that what 30k bucks equals
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2005, 01:48   #9

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
$30K USD is a good price.

FYI: Had this guy had this boat for sale last January he just may have sold it to me (condition, etc, ????). I bought an aluminum hulled 6.5M Ribcraft, T-top, 150 Honda, hvy duty tubes (1650 dtx), compass, VHF and trailer for $54K USD. The 5.85M was about $8K less (also aluminum hull). I never asked what the fiberglass boats cost, but I think they are a tad cheaper. $54K was $12-$35K less than others (Canada, Louisianna, Seattle), though those boats were more "commercial" in nature. $30K sounds about right. Yes, your pound is about 80% more valuable than our dollar, last I looked. j
Old 09 April 2005, 04:10   #10

Town: miami beach
Make: McMullen and Wing
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard optimax
Yeah 30k for that boat is prety fair, RIBS on this side are hard to find, and the ones here over 5 meters are usually decked out for heavy commercial use.
Old 09 April 2005, 08:50   #11

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Shipping charge

Thats why I bought my XS in the Uk and imported.
Ribcraft USA wanted to charge me over 3000 dollars to ship from Marblehead to San Diego.!
I shipped it from Southampton and picked up at Port Huneueme(north of Los Angeles) for just over 2000!

Don't think the US will really get into RIBs until a US manufacturer supplies a mutli function basic boat at a reasonable price. You need to get peoples interest before selling them the "flagship "models
Just got the new West Marine catalog with the Zodiac Cz7 priced starrting at 200,000 dollars..!!!!!
An Avon Seasport 490 with 90 hpYamaha goes for 37,000 dollars.!
So dont think many entry level boaters have a chance to get into RIBS over here ,
cheers Dal
Old 09 April 2005, 13:35   #12

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Not everything in the US is cheaper than UK!

Classic illustration of supply and demand. If RIBS were as popular in the North American market as they are in Europe, there would be many 100's available and the prices would be proportionately lower. If you compare RIB pricing to the pricing of fishing boats like Boston Whaler, Grady White's etc etc they look very expensive indeed. Which is the reason why this Ribster will probably (but not definately) be going to a hard boat when I buy a boat here in Canada. (Although I also want a boat with a little weather protection for boating up here in Canada and I cant afford to import an 8.4m Redbay with the full wrap around console! )

DC Tucker, I get down to your part of the world every now and then as we have an operation in Danvers which is pretty close by I think. I am looking forward to having a look around in the Summer some time.

Alan
Old 09 April 2005, 13:59   #13

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Alan, there is a Protector dealiership in the states. www.protectorboats.com if you want a boat with some protection.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2005, 17:04   #14

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
shipping/imported

Limeydal: On the shipping, you would have gotten off well (comparatively) w/ the $3K Ribcraft quoted you. I got quotes from 2 trucking firms, each about $4000 from Marblehead to Seattle; about $4300 Seattle-Fairbanks. Importing for $2K was a steal! Good luck w/ your boat. j
Old 10 April 2005, 03:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Classic illustration of supply and demand. If RIBS were as popular in the North American market as they are in Europe, there would be many 100's available and the prices would be proportionately lower. If you compare RIB pricing to the pricing of fishing boats like Boston Whaler, Grady White's etc etc they look very expensive indeed.

DC Tucker, I get down to your part of the world every now and then as we have an operation in Danvers which is pretty close by I think. I am looking forward to having a look around in the Summer some time.

Alan
We silly Americans also have far too many lawyers. With liability lawsuits abounding, manufacturers have to pay rediculous liability insurance premiums. And I'd hazard a guess that the cost for a RIB manufacturer would be higher than for a hard boat builder. Could be somewhat of a factor as well...

Alan, Danvers is 2 towns away, PM me if you'll be down during the summer I'll give you a tour of the area by land and/or sea. Do you work for FPI by any chance?

Boatster: Most everywhere I'd hoist launch the boat is a DIY operation and you're on you own for ensuring your equipment is adequate. I was looking over the West catalog today, and may just buy 5/8" 3 strand nylon and splice it myself. A couple of galvanized shackles to attach to the boat and I'd be done for about $60. Breaking stregnth 10,000+ lbs, and Avon asks for 9K.

Just came in from the garage, trying to sort out a power trim problem. Not sure if the switch is no good, or the solenoid, or if I've got the wiring b*ggered, as the T/T motor only runs DOWN
Old 10 April 2005, 03:23   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood
Yeah 30k for that boat is prety fair, RIBS on this side are hard to find, and the ones here over 5 meters are usually decked out for heavy commercial use.
Just the way I like em!!! Has anyone seen a Willard rib? The make personelle boats for the military and occassionaly a rib. Theres one in Hawaii 24' long with a 500 hp diesel up for auction.

boatster
Old 05 May 2005, 23:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
Wednesday afternoon I had a business meeting with a new potential client. About 30 minutes into our conversation, he asked if I knew of Ribcraft USA in Marblehead where I live. Turns our discussion to RIBS for the next 15 minutes! With the rarity of RIBS in the US, I was astounded at the chance encounter.

He has a Ribcraft 5.85, with blue tubes, a 100 hp Yammie, T-top, standing bolster, many electronics, etc. He bought it a few years ago at the Newport Boat Show, after a sea trial in a 40 knot blow when no one else was going out Loves the boat, goes out and jumps waves with the Jetskis and other PWC. It was used in all of the promotional photos for Ribcraft USA for the 5.85, and I was looking at it in their brokerage listings on their site just a week or so prior. He's also said he likes to restore his toys, and a new Ribcraft has nothing to do but wash it down!

If anyone's interested, here's the listing: http://ribcraftusa.com/ribcraft_5_85_rp.pdf
I had a meeting with my (now) client today. I learned a bit more about this boat. He had planned to take off the T-top with all the electronics, and keep the trailer for his next boat , to offer it at lower price (he's looking for an old Boston Whaler to restore). Now it's going as a complete package, as the trailer and particularly the T-top won't necessarily fit without excessive modification. These goodies are worth about $9000 USD I'm told, so the mid $30,000's ($32? $34? can't remember exactly what he told me) USD selling price does seem like a bargain, particularly based on what others have paid in the US for a comparable new or newer boat.

These big numbers scare me, personally. It really makes me appreciate what a screaming good deal I got on my old Searider! I really AM an old used boat type myself! I almost wonder if it will sell higher on ebay, as I've seen 2-3 year old Protectors and such sell for big $$ on ebay.

He also said that the boat had about 20 demo hours on it, when he received in 2003, and he's put an additional 80 or so hours on it for 100 total hours. The boat's going up on eBay tomorrow, with loads of pictures, etc. I'm sure it will sell... good for him, but I was hoping to hustle a ride first!!
Old 06 May 2005, 15:59   #18

Town: fort lauderdale, fl
dctucker
give him my email if youd like and we can list his rib in our classifieds section-(its not expensive for a listing)- might help you score some brownie points with him

the problem a lot of rib manufacturers here in the US have that raises costs is that about 90% of the hypalon used by companies who actually manufacture in the US comes from Europe.
Couple that with the exhorbitant exchange rate now and you have your lovely ridiculously high prices.

From my angle though- i really think the US market will be changing in the next few years- there are TONS of RIB manufacturers from outside the US trying to break into this market with significantly lowered priced products and different designs. People will have a lot more to choose from.

We shall see what happens.
Old 06 May 2005, 18:08   #19

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
We silly Americans also have far too many lawyers. With liability lawsuits abounding, manufacturers have to pay rediculous liability insurance premiums. And I'd hazard a guess that the cost for a RIB manufacturer would be higher than for a hard boat builder. Could be somewhat of a factor as well...
Hmmm. Why would you think that? Simply because it's less of a tried-and-true product (here in the US, anyway)?

RIB's have advantages over hard boats: more flotation, better stability, fewer hard parts on unintentional contact. With just a bit of research, the liability insurance guys will realize that RIB's are not a new product, and have no more (if not less) liability than a hard boat.

That said, startup marine operations are not exactly a booming business, either. I think the inroads into the US market have to come from established builders.

jky
Old 06 May 2005, 18:22   #20

Town: fort lauderdale, fl
Quote:
RIB's have advantages over hard boats: more flotation, better stability, fewer hard parts on unintentional contact. With just a bit of research, the liability insurance guys will realize that RIB's are not a new product, and have no more (if not less) liability than a hard boat.
ahh
this is all very true and proven.
unfortunately people here are still pretty ignorant on inflatables. I still get the question at boat shows "what happens if a shark bites my boat" or " what if my fishing lure pops the boat"

sometimes its all I can do to keep from laughing.