Old 14 July 2014, 15:31   #21

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
I don't have any problem with a responsible adult making decisions that affect him and him alone ( although of course someone will have to pick up the pieces sooner or later ) . I do have a problem though when children are put at risk , through no fault of their own by irresponsible parents . It simply isn't their choice !
Exactly so why dont some of these boat magazines try and support safety better, could even air brush on a lifejacket ...Ho Ho Ho,

with all this stuff everything falls back to the common impression over time, the more times a non lifejacket wearing image appears the more normal it is in the mind of numpty heads. If every image of boaters underway on small craft had people wearing lifejackets im sure far more people would wear them in the real world, that was my point. And it cant be that difficult to do in mags.

I agree with the issue with Kids its not there fault, which reminds me about the chap on sunday towing a 6 year old child on a rubber ring from a jet ski across the flow of traffic out or poole harbour. Its like the wild west poole harbour these days.
Old 14 July 2014, 15:38   #22

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Exactly so why dont some of these boat magazines try and support safety better, could even air brush on a lifejacket ...Ho Ho Ho,

Safety doesnt sell magazines, scantilly clad girls and good looking ribs messing about in the sun do.
Old 14 July 2014, 18:20   #23

Length: 6m +
Live and let live.. Some guys must have no/never had any real problems in life to worry this much about the odd picture in a mag showing someone with no life jacket.. I dont loose any sleep over it.
Old 14 July 2014, 18:37   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
People have been moaning about mags not showing life jackets for the last twenty years. However I think PB&R created a rod for their own back when they started lobbying for a change in law on kill cords. Still on this occasion it sounds like they were aware of the issue rather than ignoring it and threw in something glib which invites the user to think about and decide for themselves. You might almost believe that they think people should be able to make up their own minds!
Old 14 July 2014, 18:49   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
IMHO ALL of the hobby, leisure interest, call 'em what you like, magazines are a total waste of money. I stopped buying boating mags about 15yrs ago. I buy one copy of Fall Line (skiing) every December to kick the season off, flick through it in about 90secs and then curse the thing as £5s worth of ads, padding and bollox.

Don't waste yer money boys.
Old 14 July 2014, 18:59   #26

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
IMHO ALL of the hobby, leisure interest, call 'em what you like, magazines are a total waste of money. I stopped buying boating mags about 15yrs ago. I buy one copy of Fall Line (skiing) every December to kick the season off, flick through it in about 90secs and then curse the thing as £5s worth of ads, padding and bollox.

Don't waste yer money boys.
Same as....
Old 14 July 2014, 19:25   #27

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
think what was meant by the OP was that it wouldn't have killed PB&R mag to put a comment in brackets ( PB&R fully recommend and support the wearing of LJ etc etc at all times irrespective of local norms) ...or something similar.

Ta Peter- that's what I meant

btw the 'update' HMS posted on their FB page today quite good.
Old 14 July 2014, 19:51   #28

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
think what was meant by the OP was that it wouldn't have killed PB&R mag to put a comment in brackets ( PB&R fully recommend and support the wearing of LJ etc etc at all times irrespective of local norms) ...or something similar.

Ta Peter- that's what I meant

btw the 'update' HMS posted on their FB page today quite good.
Watched the video earlier and obviously it didn't look right but without sounding a bit thick was the captain doing that on purpose and if you why? - I don't understand
Old 14 July 2014, 20:42   #29

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi Jumpi'n Jack!

I guess you see the result of "innocent" boating actions that most of us (luckily) do not. Maybe people should take that into account.

I'm "siiting on the fence" in that I agree the magazine should have made some referenece to commonly held safety policy whilst siting locsl "customs".

But I can't argue with anyone who wants to "raise awarenss" of safety without calling for legislation. So, good on you Paul.

Regards

Steve
(who has been demoted from a Trade Member to just a Member (nothing wrong with being a Member, before the backlsh comes) by the crazy system that only allows payments to RibNET Via PayPal). Can't I just give someone a credit card!!!!!! (Sorry too much red wine , too little sleep, too many failed attempte to pay via Pay Pal!. (Anyone got any spare parenthesis going?)
Old 15 July 2014, 00:52   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Linky from the MCA website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...o-fewer-deaths
Old 15 July 2014, 07:29   #31

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post

I've seen this before, first lines, figures suggest, and them lower down , might have saved, I would like to see the reports some of them I bet are barely marine related.
Floating in the channel for a couple of hours won't do you any good with or without a life jacket.
The figures are good anyway, less deaths on the water with a record number of people doing waterborne activities, I'd put these figures down to training and better run events, and let's not forget we had the Olympics, that boosted waterborne events, so more people on the water, less fatalities, good news, but I wouldn't give all the credit to the MCA
Old 15 July 2014, 07:32   #32
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
...by the crazy system that only allows payments to RibNET Via PayPal). Can't I just give someone a credit card!!!!!!
You appear to misunderstand the corporeal nature of RIBnet, in so much as it doesn't have one. There is no office, no phone, no credit card account and no-one to take your call. If there were to be any of those things, I'd imagine that the £100 Trade Membership would need to be increased to cover costs!

Now, in the interests of keeping everyone happy - I have a credit card terminal here (wherever here is). I can PM you with my overseas mobile number and you can give me your credit card details. I'll make sure RIBnet gets the £100....

Old 15 July 2014, 07:37   #33

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
scantilly clad girls and good looking ribs messing about in the sun do.
Amen!
Old 15 July 2014, 13:39   #34
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I've seen this before, first lines, figures suggest, and them lower down , might have saved, I would like to see the reports some of them I bet are barely marine related.
there is more detail attached. it actually splits the outcomes into "probably" and "possibly" prevented by a L/J. However what is clear from those number is that motorboating is considerably safer than most other risk activities - especially angling!
Old 15 July 2014, 17:11   #35
red

Town: Alton
Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Zodiac Hurricane, Ca
Engine: Diesel 170hp
The subject of who should or should not wear life jackets is the skippers responsibility. Remember that life jackets are no good if not properly maintained. Also that wearing a life jacket does not mean your life is out of danger, especially if you have not been shown how to operate it. Also consider wearing a buoyancy aid, the rescue services prefer them.
Old 15 July 2014, 17:53   #36
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Also consider wearing a buoyancy aid, the rescue services prefer them.
which rescue services, in which circumstances? It may be wrong to extrapolate from what they do to a typical ribnetter though.

Tags
rib