Old 20 September 2004, 18:39   #11
Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Design - could not agree more - and hence the difficult choice between Parker or Solent. Neither are in any way it seems a bad design and, at the 6.5M mark, either would have done very well for me.

It came down to

* price (inevitably)
* that elusive feeling of which company's approach (style) would best fit with my and my wife's objectives
* who I met first - and who had therefore had longer to impress the 'newbie'
* short rides at RIBEX and outside Portsmouth and a perception that the Solent was a gentler ride

In short, to the (typical) newbie, it comes down to sales support and money, and the inevitably subjective (the sea never stays the same and the route taken is always different) feel of the boat.

I emphasise, I would be just as excited if I was about to take delivery of a Solent or Parker (or for that matter an XS, or Coastline, or....). It is to be a Solent in the next 10 days or so, and I am excited!

But I have to say I never considered, never thought to ask, about the evolution of the hull. Had never heard of Tohatsu or B.. whatever!

Pewrhaps rib salesmen should reflect on the fact that, to an inexperienced buyer, the product does not sell itslef!

brucehawsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2004, 03:00   #12
Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Originally Posted by Andre
I guess you are refering to the Parker 630. well there is no relationship as such.
Sorry Andre, I must have misunderstood you. Too many Pirates making too much noise in the pub. I thought you said you started from a BWM mould and improved it. My mistake.

Mark H
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" Douglas Adams
Mark Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2004, 03:12   #13
Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Wherever the current Parker hull came from I can vouch for its heavy sea capabilities after Sunday

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote