Old 07 August 2011, 04:02   #11

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Yamaha
I've already had contact with ribcraft and they said they couldn't do something about it.

The Navman 2100 , have they stopped production of it ? because I could still find it on there website .
And in the specification is mentionned the engine must be between the 90 an 300hp , but I've 60HP. ( but I think to switch over to a 90HP so in the future this won't be a problem.

The lowrance instruments looks nices , but a bit expencive I think.

Old 07 August 2011, 06:19   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRibber View Post
( but I think to switch over to a 90HP so in the future this won't be a problem.

The lowrance instruments looks nices , but a bit expencive I think.
Buy an Etec & problem solved, that's why I asked you which engine you had earlier. In-line fuel flow sensors are notoriously unreliable & inaccurate. An engine with built in fuel management in the EMM is the way to go
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2011, 06:51   #13

Thanks for your suggestion, but I prefer a Yamaha engine. I am very very satisfied of my Yamaha , and if there would be a problem with my engine, the locations where I sail have the spare parts within max 24 hour. My friend has an Etec , he needs to wait about minimum of 6 weeks to have his spare parts. So no Etec sorry.
Old 07 August 2011, 07:06   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
You don't need Etec to get engine based fuel consumption data. Yamaha command link can provide this - if the engine is putting out the data: Yamaha Command Link

I think the F60 can provide this - although you obviously want to check with Yammy that your specific model/year gives the data you need. If you have a modern fancy plotter you might even be able to get this data on the plotter without buying new gauges (I think CommandLink is NMEA2000 compatible?). Of course if you have an old 2 stroke 60 HP then this is probably all irrelevant.
Old 07 August 2011, 07:26   #15

Oké , thanks. But it is not an old 2stroke yamaha , it is an F60 CETL from 2005, 4 stroke.

I have the "ROUND COMBINATION SPEEDOMETER AND FUEL MANAGEMENT GAUGE" but the connections to the tank belonging to me F60 are no longer availible. I already checked that.
Old 07 August 2011, 07:50   #16

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
someone on here uses a broom handle with graduations marked on it
that'll be me then. B*****d to dip at 30 knots
Underfloor tanks by definition have to be shallow boxes so a small drop in height which the guage is reading is a big drop in volume. Any guage is gonna struggle with that. They are usually not "dippable". Fuel moves around fore to aft moving the C of G of the boat. Thats why I dont like'em-but they are often a neccessary evil. Our built-in tank is above deck in the front consol, I can dip it so I know what fuel I have at any time, its relatively easy to get at and any leaks can be seen/smelled immediatly. It is however far easier to fill a portable tank unless you have waterside fuelling which we dont have for petrol so we tend to run as much as possible on the portable aux tank, the boat having a changeover valve for fuel source.
Old 07 August 2011, 13:22   #17

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Buy an Etec & problem solved, that's why I asked you which engine you had earlier. In-line fuel flow sensors are notoriously unreliable & inaccurate. An engine with built in fuel management in the EMM is the way to go
Same as that!! A tad exspensive though,always better to over compensate with fuel either way.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2011, 16:52   #18

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
Hmm, before forking out on an Etec think about the last time you went out in your car. Did the gauge swing wildly when you went over a bump? Did it fall when you went round a roundabout? Did it stop reading when you filled the tank to the neck, or drained it dry? If the answer to all the above questions is no, then I'd be back on the phone to Ribcraft.

free
Old 07 August 2011, 19:04   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRibber View Post
Oké , thanks. But it is not an old 2stroke yamaha , it is an F60 CETL from 2005, 4 stroke.

I have the "ROUND COMBINATION SPEEDOMETER AND FUEL MANAGEMENT GAUGE" but the connections to the tank belonging to me F60 are no longer availible. I already checked that.
I might be wrong but does the CommandLink not measure the "fuel flow rate" from the engine? The manual isn't specific but I can't imagine any fuel tank level sensor being accurate enough to measure instantaneous fuel consumption. The fuel level part is only going to read similar to your current display although it may have better electronic damping.

If this is the case then the amount remaining is simply the tank volume less the amount consumed, as I think someone else suggested.

I'm surprised that the cable / part you need is no longer available as it looks like it is standard across the range so loads of people must need them (unless I have misunderstood which bit is not available 6Y8-8356N-0 ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by free
Hmm, before forking out on an Etec think about the last time you went out in your car. Did the gauge swing wildly when you went over a bump? Did it fall when you went round a roundabout? Did it stop reading when you filled the tank to the neck, or drained it dry? If the answer to all the above questions is no, then I'd be back on the phone to Ribcraft.
most cars probably have 10L left in the tank when they read zero. Many cars seem to sit at "full" for a long time before the gauge starts to move - exactly the issue described here (although maybe slightly worse). Before cars had "computers" controlling the dashboard I regularly noticed my fuel level change going up and down hill. And this is in a baffled tank, produced in high volume with a "matched" level sensor.

I guess you might be able to get a sensor which fits the size of tank better, or reposition it so it is less sensitive to the fluctuations in the tank, but it is a boat tank sensor and measuring liquid level on something bouncing about is never going to be perfect. Are Ribcraft really going to be able to eliminate the problem from hundreds of miles away?
Old 08 August 2011, 06:24   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Both my Ribcrafts have suffered the same problem as did the Osprey before that. The fuel gauge is ok when the boat is at rest in calm water or on the trailer on level ground. After that it's useless & I doubt that any number of calls to Ribcraft will resolve it. I suggested etec because I know that they have fuel management capabilities built in which are very accurate (to the litre) I'm sure other manufacturers have the same capabilities.
As for comparing vehicle fuel gauges to boats, apples & oranges! Even the most extreme 4x4 doesn't encounter the rapid changes in attitude & G forces that a gentle ride out in a RIB produces. TBH if you rely on ANY kind of fuel gauge as your only means of calculating your remaining fuel, you'll eventually find yourself stranded one day, what happened to passage planning?

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote