Click Here to Login

Old 22 August 2011, 09:43   #1

Town: Oxford
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: No Boat
New to Ribs and advice needed.

Firstly, I would like to say hello as I am new to both this forum and Ribs . After much deliberating, I have decided to buy a boat. Initially, I was going to go for a Dory but have decided a rib may suit my needs better. The boat will be used mainly in the solent, going around the Isle of Wight and back to the mainland. Budget is an issue and I don't want to spend anymore than £4500. I appreciate this limits my choice considerably. On average, there will be 4 of us in the boat, occasionally 5. I have seen a few Avon 4.5m adventurers for sale and am impressed with the looks of them. However, they will only seat three, with the other passengers on the tubes. Is this comfortable? Are there any other boats people could recommend up to this price range? Further, are there any dealers in the Southampton/portsmouth area that sell boats in this price range? All advice greatly appreciated.
Old 22 August 2011, 17:35   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Some of the locals will be able to comment on dealers in the area. I suspect though at that budget you are more likely to be looking at a private sale.

W.r.t. the avon adventure do a search of the forum. You will find conflicting views on them, but an overarching opinion that they are not likely to be the most comfortable boat in the sort of chop you might get in the Solent regularly. In general a 4.5m boat is fine for crossing from the island>mainland or round the island in good conditions but in less ideal conditions could quickly become tiring / hard work expecially heavily laden. I don't think many people here would relish sitting on the tubes of an Adventure 4.5 round the island, most days of the year - so if your boating days will be determined by factors other than the weather (family, work, other commitments - or a need to go from A-B on a particular day) then you may want to think bigger. That said the adventure, even the tubes of the adventure is likely to be a more pleasant ride than a similar sized dory!

Bigger in your budget is almost certainly going to mean "not as pretty" as the adventure. Its also probably going mean bigger running (fuel) and storage costs.
Old 22 August 2011, 18:00   #3

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
You won't certainly get a fancy rib with it, but go for performance, and reliability. Things to consider:

1. quality of tubes (patches etc.)
2. Engine, try find a 40+hp 4 stroke.

If the rib does have A-Frame, then people who sit on the tubes can hold on to A-Frame and it will be safer for them too, especially in not very clam sea conditions.

It is not as comfortable as a nice seat, but that's what £4.5k can give you.

if you can stretch your budget slightly more, to around £6k then you may find some ribs with proper seats for 4.
Old 22 August 2011, 23:20   #4

Thanks for the advice. I can see that 4.5m may not be the best purchase. I will perhaps try and find a larger Rib.
Old 23 August 2011, 07:17   #5

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly
Thanks for the advice. I can see that 4.5m may not be the best purchase. I will perhaps try and find a larger Rib.
Yep fully agree with polwart in the fact an A 450 is not ideal for solent chop. I have one and love it but when the weather/sea state gets up the flattish hull becomes an issue with regards to ride quality. Saying that it suits me (and others) just fine as its so easy to launch recover and beach when the weather is great - just when you want to be out on a pleasure boat! Looks good too.
Old 23 August 2011, 08:27   #6

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Personally, I don't believe you should be reckoning on driving round the IOW with people sitting on the tubes. There was a person killed in Chi Harbour this summer when the tube he was sitting on bounced him over the side when it hit a wave whilst cornering. Unfortunately the driver didn't react quick enough and hit him with the prop. I realise you are going to struggle to seat 4 properly within your budget,but I would be looking to go bigger for the Solent.
Old 23 August 2011, 08:51   #7

Thanks rokraider, my wife has always stated that she has concerns about the tubes and this strengthens the case for a larger boat. Especially when carrying children around. I appreciate this is a common question, but, could anyone suggest what type of boat I could find in my budget? I am becoming used to this forum and will continue to watch the ribs for sale section.
Old 23 August 2011, 08:58   #8

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
I'd say an Avon Searider 5.4 is a likely suspect for you.

We used one for 10 years with a 75 and then 90 on the back all around Anglesey in North Wales. Parents and two sons from their teens through to twenties. Similar sea conditions to solent, with frequent wind over strong tide, confused seas due to island etc. We used to regularly carry 4/5 on it and go out in choppy weather etc. I don't see the issue of say 2 people sitting on tubes towards the back of a boat when it is rough. As long as they are over the 10yr oldish age. ie they will hold on. But under that and you wouldn't be out with them anyway if is rough.

We had been out and been caught in pretty rough weather a few times, never worried. Once, We went out,4 20 yr olds, two on a bench and two on the tubes behind, in very inhospitable weather just to test it. (Wet suits and life jackets) probably Force 5 -6 ish with some swell but mainly big chop in wind over tide, white crests blowing off the tops. Piss wet through, but boat in the air and great fun. A rock solid boat, highly rated on here.

Ours went p/x for 5k, but that was a nice boat with a 4 year old Mercury Optimax on with 60hrs. You may well get one with an older engine for 4.5k.

Anything under that in length as previous posters have said, will be very limited in terms of taking 4 people out.
Old 23 August 2011, 10:11   #9

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I recently picked up a late 2003 Porter Renegade 6.5 with a 2003 Suzuki 145 2 stroke on the back for £6500.it was in good overall condition and just needed a few odds and sods doing.
Apart from the lack of fuel economy, it is ideal for my current use, which is mostly doing safety boats for the dinghy racing in Hayling bay and around Chi Harbour and as a camera platform. It can get quite lumpy in the Bay and around the Bar, this boat is very beamy, keeps you pretty dry and rides the waves well. It will seat 5 comfortably and has loads of floor space. It was used as a patrol boat for the Extreme 40's at Cowes but used 47 litres of fuel each way going to and fro between Cowes and Hayling Island.
I would have thought you should be looking for something similar but maybe with a more economical engine. I wouldn't go less than 120 HP othwerwise it will be gutless.
With the season tailing off, there should be some good buys to be had.
Old 24 August 2011, 14:31   #10

Superb advice and many thanks as it has saved me possibly wasting money on a boat that may not be suitable for my needs. I totally agree with all of the comments and feel that a bigger boat is required. Storage isn't an issue, as long as they can be stored outside, with a cover over. One concern I do have is the running costs for a 90+ hp. Could anyoe offer guidance on average fuel used and servicing costs. Thanks.
Old 24 August 2011, 15:05   #11

Boat name: Custard Pie
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I was in your position earlier this year and got some good advice from this forum. I ended up with a 5.3 Humber Destroyer with a Yam 115hp 2-stroke for a tad over £3000. Although not the prettiest RIB design out there, it has seats for 4 and will also fit a small tender on board. It was re-tubed last year and is in good condition overall. I've taken it out in fairly heavy swell around the Scilly Isles and it is very stable. The boats ARE out there, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.
Good luck with your search.
Old 24 August 2011, 16:06   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly View Post
One concern I do have is the running costs for a 90+ hp. Could anyoe offer guidance on average fuel used and servicing costs. Thanks.
There is a ribnet rule of thumb that most boats cruise at around 1 L/NM almost regardless of size or engine. Obviously there are variations (+/- 20% even on the boats that follow the rule). Above about 50 HP the rule usually seems to apply. If you are speed hungry, taking out heavy divers etc the rule may not work.

There is also another rule of thumb that for each 10HP of engine it will use 1 US Gal per hour at full throttle, i.e. 34 L/h. A 4 stroke may use a bit less than that, but for budget purposes it works!

Servicing costs probably don't change much from 40-100 HP since its mostly time for taking it apart and replacing the impellor and generally checking it over. I'd expect to pay £100-200 depending on age/condition/local competition etc.
Old 24 August 2011, 18:05   #13

PercyP what is the seating configuration to seat 4? I have seen a number of engines with new impellers. Is this a common replacement? If I'm correct, the impeller is involved in pumping the water. If the engine is flushed regularly, does this prevent replacement?
Old 24 August 2011, 20:37   #14
RIBnet admin team

The impellor is like a little rubber "fan" that sucks water in the engine leg and through the engine to cool it. Flushing is really about keeping the water passages clear and getting corrosion inducing, salt depositing water out the engine rather than protecting the impellor. The impellor itself, as with all things rubber wears, goes hard, brittle etc over time. This is obviously not good and if it fails at sea is a total disaster (potential engine seizure or limp home mode at least). The part is cheap so normal preventative maintainence is to replace it frequently (most people suggest annually, some do it biannually and you will find people with 8+ yr old engines which have never been changed). Its not a majorly difficult job but it involves dropping the bottom off the engine which takes some time.
Old 24 August 2011, 22:11   #15

Polwart, thanks for the information. This is worth knowing and is something that will be done when I find a suitable boat.
Old 25 August 2011, 09:11   #16

Hi Kingly - my RIB has jockey seating for 4 down the centre.The console is quite far forward.

Hopefully, I've managed to attach a pic of the boat in the Scillies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09251.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	62006  
Old 25 August 2011, 11:56   #17

Thanks for the picture, helps in my thinking and understanding.

With reference to 2 or 4 stroke, which is the better one to go for?
Old 25 August 2011, 17:04   #18

Someone else will be along soon with a fuller explanation, but 4-stroke is more economical in terms of fuel consumption. We have a 2-stroke and it guzzles the petrol in a scary manner... especially when petrol is £2.00/litre on Scilly...eek!!
Old 25 August 2011, 17:09   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly View Post
Thanks for the picture, helps in my thinking and understanding.

With reference to 2 or 4 stroke, which is the better one to go for?

With your budget you will be going with whichever is on the boat! There may be pros and cons of each (search the forum as it has been discussed before) but if you get a boat that meets the rest of your spec a 2 or 4 / isn't going to make or break a deal.

4/ might be 20% more efficient in a perfect comparison but you probably can't really tell in normal cruising use.
Old 25 August 2011, 20:34   #20

Town: Plymouth
How about a reasonable Humber 5.3M Rib with double jockey seats. 2004/5 Mercury 60hp EFI 4 stroke PTT Electric Start. Rated to carry 9. Free trailer which needs repair but well within budget.

Priced at just £3,500 you won't get better at the money. The motor is quality and will make a fantastic first Boat. Like it move on up. Decide it's not for you move it on and get your money back. No brainer

Peter

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007