RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
How about a reasonable Humber 5.3M Rib with double jockey seats. 2004/5 Mercury 60hp EFI 4 stroke PTT Electric Start. Rated to carry 9. Free trailer which needs repair but well within budget.

Priced at just £3,500 you won't get better at the money. The motor is quality and will make a fantastic first Boat. Like it move on up. Decide it's not for you move it on and get your money back. No brainer

Peter

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Kingly, not having seen the boat that sounds like a good deal (definitely one worth seriously considering). Some people here will tell you a 5.3M boat with a 60 will be underpowered - but provided it gets on the plane with everyone on board you plan to take (even if that means the inconvenience of swapping props between heavy and light days for max performance) then it should still give a lot of fun - especially since you are 'new' and therefore not yet addicted to hitting the redjet wake at full tilt to try and get airborne!

How good a deal it is will depend on (1) which humber it is (2) the actual condition it is in.
Old 26 August 2011, 08:34   #22

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
If it is not a Humber Destroyer, Ocean Pro or Offshore, based on your requirements, probably leave alone as it likely has a shallow V hull and will not be any use round the isle of white with 4 or 5 on board other than fair weather boating. Whatever you go for, just make sure it has a deep V hull. If unsure, ask on here, someone will tell you in minutes.

Also, if a boat is rated to carry 9, that doesn't mean you can in most conditions. EG, the Humber mentioned above, orany boat for that matter at 5.3m would only be fit with 9 in whilst inside a flat calm harbour going at displacement speed!

we found servicing jumps a bit when you go up an engine block size rather than HP. eg the merc opti 75 90 and 115 are all a 1.5l 3 cyl engine. When we got the 175 which is the same 2.5l V6 block as the 135 and 150, it got more expensive. Something to bear in mind. eg id rather have a light 115 3cyl with lower servicing than a 2.5l v6.

fuel consumption on a 4 stroke is as others say slightly better. However there are two type of 2 stroke. The old oil burners that will use much more than 1L per mile, and the modern, post about 2002, injection models. These are not much different to the 4 strokes, and are lighter with more ooomph. They aren't quite as quiet, but it depends how much you are using it and what for. The 3cyl optis are v quiet, but move up to a V6 and just like a car, it gets noisier in the mid range. Though i like that!!
Old 26 August 2011, 08:54   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Presumably we are talking about this: http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/humber-...ale-43536.html ?
Old 26 August 2011, 09:13   #24

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL
If it is not a Humber Destroyer, Ocean Pro or Offshore, based on your requirements, probably leave alone as it likely has a shallow V hull and will not be any use round the isle of white with 4 or 5 on board other than fair weather boating. Whatever you go for, just make sure it has a deep V hull. If unsure, ask on here, someone will tell you in minutes.

Also, if a boat is rated to carry 9, that doesn't mean you can in most conditions. EG, the Humber mentioned above, orany boat for that matter at 5.3m would only be fit with 9 in whilst inside a flat calm harbour going at displacement speed!

we found servicing jumps a bit when you go up an engine block size rather than HP. eg the merc opti 75 90 and 115 are all a 1.5l 3 cyl engine. When we got the 175 which is the same 2.5l V6 block as the 135 and 150, it got more expensive. Something to bear in mind. eg id rather have a light 115 3cyl with lower servicing than a 2.5l v6.

fuel consumption on a 4 stroke is as others say slightly better. However there are two type of 2 stroke. The old oil burners that will use much more than 1L per mile, and the modern, post about 2002, injection models. These are not much different to the 4 strokes, and are lighter with more ooomph. They aren't quite as quiet, but it depends how much you are using it and what for. The 3cyl optis are v quiet, but move up to a V6 and just like a car, it gets noisier in the mid range. Though i like that!!
Its rated to 9. I'm not suggesting you carry 9. The OP wants to carry 2 Adults and 2 kids. Looks a Deeper to me but I'm no expert in ribs. 60hp will get it up and going well but not the hell-raising speeds a 90hp would give. The last assault 5.3 I had (which I do not think this is as it's not shallow) had a Tohatsu 90 went fantastic past 30 knots. Before that I had a assault 5.3 with Yam 55 2 stroke which still had enough to jump out of the water over the waves for a bit of fun. 60hp should be nice balance to get you on the water without frightening your family out of the idea. Like I said if you (or they) catch the bug upgrade. If they don't your not out of pocket.

Pics are on the ribs for sale thread.

Condition is in line with it's price. No loss of air. Perfectly serviceable & usable. Motor recently serviced so good for the rest of this season and next based on proper storage. Advised as around 100 hours and is NOT original to the boat.

4 strokes yeald superior savings on fuel to what's normally found on boats at this price (Suzuki DT 55 or Merc blackmax). If you prefer I'd happily remove the motor and fit a mariner 75/90 2 stroke around 1997 oil injection at the same cost. I have several in stock. You will double your fuel costs.

If it's not suitable that's fine. Look at upping the budget slightly and you will find one that ticks every box. All depends how much of a "punt" you want your first rib (or boat) experience to be.

Search the Market. There's always a gem waiting to be found.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 26 August 2011, 09:27   #25

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
B and O. Sorry, wasn't specifically referring to that one. Just trying to give the OP some general info on hulls, what rated for means etc, as after the OP, he seems to have deduced that a 4.5m around the solent may not be appropriate.

You're right too, a 4 stroke compared to an early 2 stroke would be much more efficient.

IMHO that Humber above looks like a deep or mid V, Not sure which one though. Perhaps an early attaque? Actually looks a good buy if you don't mind the commercial look. I prefer it to a white leisure boat that will be green in 3 years anyway

The assaults though IMHO just struggle so much in a sea. If you went to the IOW or around it and got caught in a fair wind over tide, that journey back would be spent mainly being blown off the top of the waves! It wouldn't be fun after 15 mins. Ideal if you just potter in a bay and have a quick ski, but not for venturng off in which he mentions doing in the op
Old 26 August 2011, 09:36   #26

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL
B and O. Sorry, wasn't specifically referring to that one. Just trying to give the OP some general info on hulls, what rated for means etc, as after the OP, he seems to have deduced that a 4.5m around the solent may not be appropriate.

You're right too, a 4 stroke compared to an early 2 stroke would be much more efficient.

IMHO that Humber above looks like a deep or mid V, Not sure which one though. Perhaps an early attaque? Actually looks a good buy if you don't mind the commercial look. I prefer it to a white leisure boat that will be green in 3 years anyway

The assaults though IMHO just struggle so much in a sea. If you went to the IOW or around it and got caught in a fair wind over tide, that journey back would be spent mainly being blown off the top of the waves! It wouldn't be fun after 15 mins. Ideal if you just potter in a bay and have a quick ski, but not for venturng off in which he mentions doing in the op
Np better the buyer be informed then not. I'm not trying to flog him mine (well ok maybe a little but only if it's suited) just offer an option. The Assaults are very shallow and I agree not great in tough condition although this looks a bit deeper than those models.

Like I said in the original ad. It's rough and ready. Not a "pretty boy" rib with loads of cup holders, if you want that go for a ribeye...

Old 26 August 2011, 12:31   #27

Town: Oxford
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: No Boat
I appreciate everyones opinon and advice. It is helping me considerably as my knowledge is increasing and will allow me to make a more informed decision. B and O, I appreciate your honesty and will consider your boat. I may well have to increase my budget to meet my ideal requirements.