Old 01 December 2006, 03:18   #11
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Stephen, matt is probably better placed to have a view on this than many - having seen my rigid tubed boat in action. Although he may be wrongly attributing rough ride to the hard tubes when (1) bad engine set up (too little trim - without PTT) and (2) poor operator skill - contributed to my boat stuffing waves when he glided over in his slightly bigger humber!

Was being gentleman and was not going to mention that day …. But you will have dried out by now?

Old 01 December 2006, 04:27   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
I have seen one in the flesh - but not been for a trial on one. (As you know I have a competitors smaller equivalent). I bought a 'rigid tubed boat' based on my viewing of macs.

There is no disputing that it won't look as nice a rib. At a glance from a far it is hard to tell the difference but up close you will know. Dundee is relatively close to here (compared to the falklands!) and I have people I visit every month or two up there so I can pop in and get more pics etc if you need them. Of course the guys there know their stuff and will probably be happy to help on the phone / email anyway.
Interesting comments.

I've already got quite a few pics from them and I like it, just that they are obviously the manufacturers so are bound to "big it up" while being economical with comments about any drawbacks, and there is no substitute for having a look, poke, prod, scrape or smack with a 7lb hammer first hand, or talking to somebody who has if you can't

The only thing I don't like is the selection of consoles and seating, they seem to mostly concentrate on "normal" seats whereas what I would prefer is a console and jockey seating more or less exactly like the one on the Humber.

I did see something somewhere that suggested that the hull was not as well finished as GRP because of the limitations of the moulding process - you can make mirror smooth finishes but it needs a special mould which only lasts a short time so they use metal moulds to keep the cost reasonable. I'm not that bothered about that - robustness comes way above appearance after the last nine months!

I wasn't that convinced about the cushioning effect of tubes either - on the basis that I know if you have a heavy landing onto a jockey seat your b****cks hurt before most of the tubes hit the water and let us not forget some of the best riding ribs like Scorpions have very high tubes anyway and they don't sit in the water most of the time do they?

Ah well - plenty of time yet though - still got to repair and sell this one, either of which may prove problematic!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2006, 06:50   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
The only thing I don't like is the selection of consoles and seating, they seem to mostly concentrate on "normal" seats whereas what I would prefer is a console and jockey seating more or less exactly like the one on the Humber.
They do a jockey console on the smaller MacAttack 360. It actually is quite a nice jockey (wish I had gone for jockey - I have bench seat - ah well you live and learn! When i recently said this to Atlantic Focus the dealer - who are mac's competitors, said he was sure it could be retrofitted if I was keen enough). IMHO you are more likely to persuade the Mac/Marine Revolution guys to customise it for you and put in the console you want. From memory the "deck" of their boats was flat plywood/aluminium (option or different for different sizes of boat?). So you should be able to stick anything you want (even a humber console) on. The deck on my boat is molded plastic - so its not so easy...
Old 01 December 2006, 06:56   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Was being gentleman and was not going to mention that day …. But you will have dried out by now?
That day was fun... ...a bit cold and wet though... ...its coming up to that time of year again... really must do it again.
Old 01 December 2006, 10:09   #15

Quote:
They do a jockey console on the smaller MacAttack 360. It actually is quite a nice jockey (wish I had gone for jockey - I have bench seat - ah well you live and learn! When i recently said this to Atlantic Focus the dealer - who are mac's competitors, said he was sure it could be retrofitted if I was keen enough). IMHO you are more likely to persuade the Mac/Marine Revolution guys to customise it for you and put in the console you want. From memory the "deck" of their boats was flat plywood/aluminium (option or different for different sizes of boat?). So you should be able to stick anything you want (even a humber console) on. The deck on my boat is molded plastic - so its not so easy...
I probably could - that would be my preferred option - but the Humber extreme jockey is ££££££££ (I think about £780 odd as an UPGRADE from the std one on a new boat, not sure about outright purchase price may be well over £1000) plus another £350 odd for a double passenger jockey like I have just put on the Destroyer, might be the thick end of 2 grand on top of the boat price by the time they charge extra for fitting, which is a lot for somewhere to sit! I do quite like the double console that Mac offer with a big windscreen for shelter but it looks like the wrong design to put a jockey seat on, it looks too high and there is nowhere to put your legs, I think it is designed for the driver to stand not sit.

I think I will really need to go to the factory for a look, shame it is miles from anywhere I may be visiting in the UK.... suppose I need to sell the boat I have and turn up waving a chequebook so I can say "well if you can do this....then...."

Old 01 December 2006, 11:47   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I do quite like the double console that Mac offer with a big windscreen for shelter but it looks like the wrong design to put a jockey seat on, it looks too high and there is nowhere to put your legs, I think it is designed for the driver to stand not sit.

I think I will really need to go to the factory for a look, shame it is miles from anywhere I may be visiting in the UK.... suppose I need to sell the boat I have and turn up waving a chequebook so I can say "well if you can do this....then...."
Well you can always come and visit the Scottish ribsters! If you want me to pop in next time I am passing I can take a look at the console and see how feasible it might be to use it with a jockey. Actually standing up is not a bad idea - and a leaning post (at the bottom of your back seems an attractive idea). If you are going to spend £2k - might as well get at Ullman seat!
Old 01 December 2006, 13:29   #17

Could do - buy an uncomfortable boat and then put a comfortable seat on it

Thanks for the offer, might ask you to do that nearer the time but I won't waste your time at the moment - I may not be able to get rid of the old barge yet! The seat they offer with that console is a pedestal type which might be ok but having been in a few "unscheduled bumps" with a jockey seat I think I'd prefer that...