Old 29 November 2006, 23:54   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Mac 570

A bit OT since it isn't a rib but at least it looks like one

has anybody got/used/seen a Mac 570? as per the attachment (reproduced from a pic Mac sent me - hope nobody minds!) and what did you think?

its pretty much what I have my mind set on if I can fix the self-destroyer (not guaranteed) and sell it for a reasonable price (also not guaranteed) - a rib-like boat which is still buoyant even when loaded to the maximum weight and full of water, but apparently pretty hard to damage

The main question I have is on the hull, they say its an 18 deg deep V just wondering how it compares for ride to a rib of a similar size like my 5.8 Humber, I'm not sure what the V is on that. They sent me (and I have Googled) several reviews on other models which have all been positive, but nothing I can find on the 570.

I really like the idea of something that can be bashed about a bit, run up on a beach etc without having to get in to a flap about tubes or gelcoat, sounds ideal but wonder if there is a catch and if so, what?

thanks

Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 029 (Small).jpg
Views:	970
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	23492  

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2006, 06:28   #2
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
I would think that in a sea you would lose all the benefit that the tubes provide as a means of cushioning etc. really you are back into the RIB v Hard boat really.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
I would think that in a sea you would lose all the benefit that the tubes provide as a means of cushioning etc. really you are back into the RIB v Hard boat really.
True, though I don't know how much difference the tubes actually make as I have no experience of a similar sized hard boat in the same conditions. Any comments from experienced ribbers who also use hard boats?

The main thing for me is that I would also lose the fact that 2 bits of poxy fabric have over the last six months caused me more repair work than everything else in my "leisure life" (computer, 2 Land Rovers, a bike and the rest of the boat) put together. I'm going to try and get a sea trial in one before I commit to buying it but there don't seem to be a lot of them about in the UK, I asked them if they had any dealers down in the south (the company is in Dundee) and they said no but there was one 570 somewhere in Wales! The Mac that is used as a ships tender on a ship down here is a lot smaller (420 I think) so not really a comparison.

Sorry if I sound like a stuck record but while I'd love a better RIB I just wouldn't fully trust anything with tubes ever again. It's a bit like trying to tell somebody who has had three new engines in their 1.8 K series Freelander that Land Rovers on the whole aren't bad as far as reliability goes and if they got a different one it would probably be fine. I'd like a new Ribcraft 585 but if I saved every penny and spent it on something and it then gave as much trouble as this stupid Humber has, I'd go out and shoot myself! Having watched the test videos on the Macs (dropping one from 50ft from a crane, deliberately charging a pontoon and bouncing off, hurling heavy stuff in to it from alongside the boat, tipping it off the back of a trailer onto a concrete slipway) the fact that I'd have to do something really stupid to break it is very appealing and I could live with a slightly rougher ride for that. But I am also hooked on an open centre console boat (i.e. RIB style) that you can easily move around when operating it single handed.

Really, as it seems to be the answer to all the problems you get with a RIB, I am wondering why there apparently aren't many of them about and what the catch is....? There don't seem to be any at all on Boats & Outboards. Maybe people like them and don't sell them

Old 30 November 2006, 10:43   #4

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Having watched the test videos on the Macs (dropping one from 50ft from a crane, deliberately charging a pontoon and bouncing off, hurling heavy stuff in to it from alongside the boat, tipping it off the back of a trailer onto a concrete slipway) the fact that I'd have to do something really stupid to break it is very appealing and I could live with a slightly rougher ride for that.
Polyethylene Thermoplastic wow that tough stuff! My canoe is made from this & it gets a lot of abuse!
sounds like the perfect boat for our dive club!
Old 30 November 2006, 16:50   #5

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
MAC supplied one of the smaller boats for a new TV series I have just finished. We had 2 presenters in the boat, one of them used a panel saw and cut the boat into 2 halves which floated apart keeping both guys afloat !

At the start of the sequence we had them deciding to take the boat to test it but they didn't have a trailer. "Who needs a trailer ?" was the line followed by over an hour of towing the boat along tarmac much to the amusement of everyone we passed. Over speed bumps, sliding wide round corners, knocking over signposts and up and down kerbs. It took the lot without suffering any significant damage.

Tough as old boots and easily repairable with hot melt sticks.

Company was run by a sound Kiwi guy, I recall he and his dad raced jet boats UP rapids back in New Zealand so no surprise he was well up for the abuse to which we subjected his boats.
Old 30 November 2006, 19:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog View Post
MAC supplied one of the smaller boats for a new TV series I have just finished. We had 2 presenters in the boat, one of them used a panel saw and cut the boat into 2 halves which floated apart keeping both guys afloat !

At the start of the sequence we had them deciding to take the boat to test it but they didn't have a trailer. "Who needs a trailer ?" was the line followed by over an hour of towing the boat along tarmac much to the amusement of everyone we passed. Over speed bumps, sliding wide round corners, knocking over signposts and up and down kerbs. It took the lot without suffering any significant damage.

Tough as old boots and easily repairable with hot melt sticks.

Company was run by a sound Kiwi guy, I recall he and his dad raced jet boats UP rapids back in New Zealand so no surprise he was well up for the abuse to which we subjected his boats.
Cool

What was the TV series? might have to watch that!

Must try doing that with my Hububble if I can't sell it

I wonder why regular RIB builders don't use the plastic for hulls instead of GRP, if it is so hard to damage? I guess the kit to make the boats may be quite expensive by the sound of the process used.

Old 30 November 2006, 19:55   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I wonder why regular RIB builders don't use the plastic for hulls instead of GRP, if it is so hard to damage? I guess the kit to make the boats may be quite expensive by the sound of the process used.
I think you have it bang on there. Normal GRP mould - MDF, basic woodworking tools and some wax. Might even be economical to make one offs like that! Rotomold - needs as steel or aluminium mould which is obviously more expensive material. That needs to be machined and finished - much slower and more expensive than wood; and harder to modify. Then you can make an mdf boat in any old shed. A rotomolded boat needs a 3 axis computer controlled rotating oven for the process. You need to build lots of identical boats to make it economical.
Old 30 November 2006, 20:02   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
A bit OT since it isn't a rib but at least it looks like one

has anybody got/used/seen a Mac 570? as per the attachment (reproduced from a pic Mac sent me - hope nobody minds!) and what did you think?

The main question I have is on the hull, they say its an 18 deg deep V just wondering how it compares for ride to a rib of a similar size like my 5.8 Humber, I'm not sure what the V is on that. They sent me (and I have Googled) several reviews on other models which have all been positive, but nothing I can find on the 570.
I have seen one in the flesh - but not been for a trial on one. (As you know I have a competitors smaller equivalent). I bought a 'rigid tubed boat' based on my viewing of macs.

There is no disputing that it won't look as nice a rib. At a glance from a far it is hard to tell the difference but up close you will know. Dundee is relatively close to here (compared to the falklands!) and I have people I visit every month or two up there so I can pop in and get more pics etc if you need them. Of course the guys there know their stuff and will probably be happy to help on the phone / email anyway.
Old 30 November 2006, 20:11   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Stephen, matt is probably better placed to have a view on this than many - having seen my rigid tubed boat in action. Although he may be wrongly attributing rough ride to the hard tubes when (1) bad engine set up (too little trim - without PTT) and (2) poor operator skill - contributed to my boat stuffing waves when he glided over in his slightly bigger humber!

I'm not convinced that the tubes do much cushioning anyway.

That said - comparing my boat and the Mac570 is a little like comparing a fiat panda 4x4 and a landrover! I think my hull is nowhere near as big a v and of course is considerably shorter.

Do MarineRevolution have a boat in Dundee - perhaps they would bring it down to the forth on a choppy day to convince Matt and any other skeptical Ribnetters to write a review for you!
Old 30 November 2006, 20:27   #10

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
The series is called Crash Test Dummies and will be on SKY ONE from the beginning of February. It's a comedy where 2 bored flatmates test everything to destruction. A kind of Brainiac, Mythbusters, Men in White fusion (hosted by Big Cook, Little Cook) but it's actually funny and not for anoraks. There was another test where we tested an immersion suit, it involved the biggest waterfall in the UK and the soundtrack from the Mission ! That's all I'm saying.

I think there is a MAC over 6 metres too.
Old 01 December 2006, 07:18   #11
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Stephen, matt is probably better placed to have a view on this than many - having seen my rigid tubed boat in action. Although he may be wrongly attributing rough ride to the hard tubes when (1) bad engine set up (too little trim - without PTT) and (2) poor operator skill - contributed to my boat stuffing waves when he glided over in his slightly bigger humber!

Was being gentleman and was not going to mention that day …. But you will have dried out by now?
Old 01 December 2006, 08:27   #12

Quote:
I have seen one in the flesh - but not been for a trial on one. (As you know I have a competitors smaller equivalent). I bought a 'rigid tubed boat' based on my viewing of macs.

There is no disputing that it won't look as nice a rib. At a glance from a far it is hard to tell the difference but up close you will know. Dundee is relatively close to here (compared to the falklands!) and I have people I visit every month or two up there so I can pop in and get more pics etc if you need them. Of course the guys there know their stuff and will probably be happy to help on the phone / email anyway.
Interesting comments.

I've already got quite a few pics from them and I like it, just that they are obviously the manufacturers so are bound to "big it up" while being economical with comments about any drawbacks, and there is no substitute for having a look, poke, prod, scrape or smack with a 7lb hammer first hand, or talking to somebody who has if you can't

The only thing I don't like is the selection of consoles and seating, they seem to mostly concentrate on "normal" seats whereas what I would prefer is a console and jockey seating more or less exactly like the one on the Humber.

I did see something somewhere that suggested that the hull was not as well finished as GRP because of the limitations of the moulding process - you can make mirror smooth finishes but it needs a special mould which only lasts a short time so they use metal moulds to keep the cost reasonable. I'm not that bothered about that - robustness comes way above appearance after the last nine months!

I wasn't that convinced about the cushioning effect of tubes either - on the basis that I know if you have a heavy landing onto a jockey seat your b****cks hurt before most of the tubes hit the water and let us not forget some of the best riding ribs like Scorpions have very high tubes anyway and they don't sit in the water most of the time do they?

Ah well - plenty of time yet though - still got to repair and sell this one, either of which may prove problematic!

Old 01 December 2006, 10:50   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
The only thing I don't like is the selection of consoles and seating, they seem to mostly concentrate on "normal" seats whereas what I would prefer is a console and jockey seating more or less exactly like the one on the Humber.
They do a jockey console on the smaller MacAttack 360. It actually is quite a nice jockey (wish I had gone for jockey - I have bench seat - ah well you live and learn! When i recently said this to Atlantic Focus the dealer - who are mac's competitors, said he was sure it could be retrofitted if I was keen enough). IMHO you are more likely to persuade the Mac/Marine Revolution guys to customise it for you and put in the console you want. From memory the "deck" of their boats was flat plywood/aluminium (option or different for different sizes of boat?). So you should be able to stick anything you want (even a humber console) on. The deck on my boat is molded plastic - so its not so easy...
Old 01 December 2006, 10:56   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Was being gentleman and was not going to mention that day …. But you will have dried out by now?
That day was fun... ...a bit cold and wet though... ...its coming up to that time of year again... really must do it again.
Old 01 December 2006, 14:09   #15

Quote:
They do a jockey console on the smaller MacAttack 360. It actually is quite a nice jockey (wish I had gone for jockey - I have bench seat - ah well you live and learn! When i recently said this to Atlantic Focus the dealer - who are mac's competitors, said he was sure it could be retrofitted if I was keen enough). IMHO you are more likely to persuade the Mac/Marine Revolution guys to customise it for you and put in the console you want. From memory the "deck" of their boats was flat plywood/aluminium (option or different for different sizes of boat?). So you should be able to stick anything you want (even a humber console) on. The deck on my boat is molded plastic - so its not so easy...
I probably could - that would be my preferred option - but the Humber extreme jockey is ££££££££ (I think about £780 odd as an UPGRADE from the std one on a new boat, not sure about outright purchase price may be well over £1000) plus another £350 odd for a double passenger jockey like I have just put on the Destroyer, might be the thick end of 2 grand on top of the boat price by the time they charge extra for fitting, which is a lot for somewhere to sit! I do quite like the double console that Mac offer with a big windscreen for shelter but it looks like the wrong design to put a jockey seat on, it looks too high and there is nowhere to put your legs, I think it is designed for the driver to stand not sit.

I think I will really need to go to the factory for a look, shame it is miles from anywhere I may be visiting in the UK.... suppose I need to sell the boat I have and turn up waving a chequebook so I can say "well if you can do this....then...."

Old 01 December 2006, 15:47   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I do quite like the double console that Mac offer with a big windscreen for shelter but it looks like the wrong design to put a jockey seat on, it looks too high and there is nowhere to put your legs, I think it is designed for the driver to stand not sit.

I think I will really need to go to the factory for a look, shame it is miles from anywhere I may be visiting in the UK.... suppose I need to sell the boat I have and turn up waving a chequebook so I can say "well if you can do this....then...."
Well you can always come and visit the Scottish ribsters! If you want me to pop in next time I am passing I can take a look at the console and see how feasible it might be to use it with a jockey. Actually standing up is not a bad idea - and a leaning post (at the bottom of your back seems an attractive idea). If you are going to spend £2k - might as well get at Ullman seat!
Old 01 December 2006, 17:29   #17

Could do - buy an uncomfortable boat and then put a comfortable seat on it

Thanks for the offer, might ask you to do that nearer the time but I won't waste your time at the moment - I may not be able to get rid of the old barge yet! The seat they offer with that console is a pedestal type which might be ok but having been in a few "unscheduled bumps" with a jockey seat I think I'd prefer that...