Click Here to Login

Old 11 September 2004, 19:06   #21

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Let me dog out a couple pf photos which will demonstrate this, both at similar depths on world famous wrecks.

Back in a bit
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2004, 20:14   #22

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
MMSI: 235021077
I would love to see some undersea photos...

Kim
Old 11 September 2004, 21:33   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I dive all over the place and love it. The wrecks in scapa flow are excellent yes a little dark and murky compared to the Red Sea but amazing anyway. One dive in Scapa the Tabarka would be hard to beat anywhere for a thrilling dive. I really can't describe this ... I will look for a video or pictures to give this justice.

Diving is not just about getting in the water. I love the boats, the remote locations ... the being away as a group with your mates, drinking and having a laugh.

Diving got me into SIBs and RIBs ... and in fact the requirments of divers on a boat has helped shape the RIB.

For those that are interested some of my diving holiday pics are at:

http://www.badviz.com/upsac.html

Most pics are of the places and people .... not many of underwater, sorry. As you stated Manos its hard to take underwater pics in the UK.

This is worth a look at, diving in the Submarine Escape Tower, Gosport.

http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/SETT/index.htm

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2004, 21:34   #24

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
OK guys will give Scotland a try if you can show me around in the autumn. Will arrange something when I get back to the UK if you like The only thing is that I do not use dry suits but only semi dry. The reason far too complicated to explain here but has to do with something very unpleasant and dangerous that happened to a dive instructor in Stoney Cove a few years ago while we were diving together.

Any way, here is a video (3.3 mins long). We made it today while Michael the Bat and my self tried (semi successfully) to remove a mooring I have for the boats. My BC had a valve stuck so I was without it been connected to the bottle. Hence I'm touching the floor so much with just 7 kgs weights. As the dive was not deep (about 9-10 mtrs) we didn't abort it. Fixed now though, needed some WD40 and some vaseline spray The rest of the job will have to finish tomorrow.

Sorry about the quality of the song, I'm learning this software so bare with me. When I master it (give it a week or so) I'm posting a few clips of some more videos I have from the Grand Cayman - North Wall at 55 mtrs which is BLACK and South Wall at 45 mtrs going up seen sharks and rays, Stingray City shallow dive with the rays and a VERY friendly moray Eel, 7mile beach just off Holiday Inn on a wreck a night dive and a very P@#$ Off parrot fish and lobster, Shark City near Hurghada with loads and loads of sharks, Aquarium near Giftun Island Hurghada with a very inquisitive grouper and the biggest moray eel I ever saw with a massive head and frriendly too and a few from Sharm with Napoleon fish, Indian fish, clown fish going in and out of an anemone and fighting my finger and some others I don't know how they called but they are very pretty. I'm sure that you will appreciate those more than this one. More fish and colours to see any way.

In the meantime have a look at this one. By the way is blowing force 8 and there is a quite strong current as you can see. The shadows that you can see passing on the bottom are the waves passing on top.

Here is the link http://www.neptune.com/users/manos/v...anos138499.wmv

PS Andy nice photos. IS that you at the top of the page with all that tech gear?
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2004, 21:42   #25

Town: Oxford
Boat name: Seahorse
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 115
MMSI: 235020185
I've dived a few places round the uk - and like Andy, diving got me interested in RIB's - well, mainly keeping the cliub one running <sigh>

For anyone interested, here are some of mydiving photos

Steve
Old 11 September 2004, 21:50   #26

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Steve nice photos. Had a look at the Stoney ones I have been inside that plane too and the Heli too I think I also have one driving I(I think) is a land rover in the bottom.

PS The Cuba and Red Sea photos are cool too!!
Old 12 September 2004, 16:35   #27

Thanks!

Unfortunatly, after Easter, i think my strobe got flooded or at least moist, as it doesn't work any more - for the second time

When talking about diving in the UK, i usually hear the 'what is there to see' - so that was part of the motivation for taking the photo's. Can you spot the sea creature? Press the image to reveal! I'm also a lazy diver, cos finning makes you miss the interesting stuff!

I agree with Rupert Bear about diving in a quary - only if absolutly necessary, and up-north, there is always somewhere to hide out of the weather - it's a shame i'm down south.

RB: Last year i was in Glenuig hoping, but failing to do Bo Fascadale - it's supposed to be fantastic! Must get up again for another go. Still have fond memories of a few years before, doing the Falls of Laura

Steve
Old 12 September 2004, 17:14   #28

It looks not exactly but similar to a trompet fish. Well short of instaed of swimming is crawlling Nice photo

May be in the UK due to poor vis due to rivers coming into the sea in places (I do not mean Scotland where I have heard that vis is quite good) is difficult to see any thing. In particular I rember diving in Brixam a few years back about 10 mtr dive and we could not see the bottom. We could not see where any one was when we were down and finally we had to aboart the dive as it was dangerous. But then again I remember diving in Whitsand Bay near Plymouth and the sea was as clear as water in the glass.
Old 12 September 2004, 17:20   #29

It's a greater pipefish - more like an uncurled sea horse.

Steve
Old 12 September 2004, 19:51   #30

Learn something new every day

And a greeny from me so that you change colour
Old 14 September 2004, 22:29   #31

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by divelandy

RB: Last year i was in Glenuig hoping, but failing to do Bo Fascadale - it's supposed to be fantastic! Must get up again for another go. Still have fond memories of a few years before, doing the Falls of Laura
Never done the Falls of Lora, even though it is only 4 miles away from my house. Bo Fascadale is very good but there is even better if you know where to look.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:24   #32

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
I have suggested to loads of 'Warm Water' divers to give Scotland a try if nowhere else in the UK, they were all impressed. The visibility was great and there are so many starfish, scollops (yummy), dolphins, basking sharks, seals etc. The hospitality is also about the warmest I have ever had on a dive trip.

One of the reasons we got a rib was the diving facility it offers. Perhaps a coordinated dive trip would be good to organise. Scapa is somewhere I believe is best with local knowledge as there are so many wrecks, we would really be up for a trip with 4 other divers.

My missus tells me she read about a drift dive at Correyvreken, she says I should try it sometime ! Seriously, I read it is a stretch of water that even the Navy say is unnavigable, perhaps someone has had a look at it, is it true it can be heard from 10 miles away ?

I must agree, quarries in Wales and Stoney etc do not offer much other than a good place to refresh diving skills, I remeber about 3000 divers used Stoney over a bank holiday weekend once ! It was heaving.

I hope the diving threads keep going, RIBs seem essential pieces of kit for so many divers, seems relevant to have some banter here, more about the boating than the diving though, please.
Old 15 September 2004, 11:53   #33

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
Shot Line Recovery

Another diver here - I've been mainly using my RIB as 'transport' only so far - one day I really must make time to go out and have a proper play.

Anyhow, I thought I'd look for shared experiences on this one; seems to link RIBs and diving just nicely:

After a lot of messing with a 15kg shot - which always ended up bouncing around the bottom and often off the wreck etc - I've got myself sorted with a 25kg beastie.

We also use 12mm shotline ropes for something nice and meaty to hang onto.

Has anyone come across any mechanical solution which can help lift the shot? The type I'm thinking of I think involve some form of RIB towing / sea drag soultion. Where from? DIY? Do they work?

I've seen winches on the front of consoles, but I suspect these are not suited to thicker rope (and we're currently in the trimix range so it could be up to 70m worth). And the current solution is the underwater lifting bag - but that eats into your valuable bottom time, not to mention gas.

I keep recommending this forum by the way to divers on other diving-specific forums, so it only seems fair to give the Yorkshire Divers forum a plug here - I'll let you do your own googling.
Old 15 September 2004, 12:03   #34

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R
Another diver here - I've been mainly using my RIB as 'transport' only so far - one day I really must make time to go out and have a proper play.

Anyhow, I thought I'd look for shared experiences on this one; seems to link RIBs and diving just nicely:

After a lot of messing with a 15kg shot - which always ended up bouncing around the bottom and often off the wreck etc - I've got myself sorted with a 25kg beastie.

We also use 12mm shotline ropes for something nice and meaty to hang onto.

Has anyone come across any mechanical solution which can help lift the shot? The type I'm thinking of I think involve some form of RIB towing / sea drag soultion. Where from? DIY? Do they work?

I've seen winches on the front of consoles, but I suspect these are not suited to thicker rope (and we're currently in the trimix range so it could be up to 70m worth). And the current solution is the underwater lifting bag - but that eats into your valuable bottom time, not to mention gas.

I keep recommending this forum by the way to divers on other diving-specific forums, so it only seems fair to give the Yorkshire Divers forum a plug here - I'll let you do your own googling.
That has to be the heaviest shot around!
Do you come back up vier the shot or use delayed SMB?
Nick
Old 15 September 2004, 12:17   #35

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
Shot line

Getting into mixed gases - with their longer diving times - has resulted in us switching from a shot-line ascent to a DSMB ascent. Plus we're now less reluctant to get involved in the hauling up operation due to the increased risk of getting bent.

25 kg is actually what the BSAC recommend. And as I said, I've had my 15kg old one bounce away too many times not to try something different.

A Grapnel might be a better solution? but not exactly RIB friendly.
Old 15 September 2004, 12:17   #36

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:

Has anyone come across any mechanical solution which can help lift the shot? The type I'm thinking of I think involve some form of RIB towing / sea drag soultion. Where from? DIY? Do they work
send a line downthe shot with a nice big heavy shackle attached then motor ahead the weighted line will pull up the shotline then all you gotta do is pull it in , this is how sailing clubs retrieve thier inflateable racing marks though i suppose it depends how deep the shot is and how time consuming it will be
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 15 September 2004, 12:28   #37

Quote:
Getting into mixed gases - with their longer diving times - has resulted in us switching from a shot-line ascent to a DSMB ascent. Plus we're now less reluctant to get involved in the hauling up operation due to the increased risk of getting bent.

25 kg is actually what the BSAC recommend. And as I said, I've had my 15kg old one bounce away too many times not to try something different.

A Grapnel might be a better solution? but not exactly RIB friendly.
Sound like someone is pulling them selves down the line!
How about using a folding grapnel anchor, last one down folds it up for easy retrieval!
Old 15 September 2004, 12:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
How about using a folding grapnel anchor, last one down folds it up for easy retrieval!
I was about to say that
Old 15 September 2004, 13:49   #39

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
shot retrieval

One option for hauling it up is to set up a largish buoy with a ring (meatal) beneath, pass the shot rope through this this attach to your D-rings/tow eyes. Check shot isnt fouled! very important! then gun the throttle into wind/tide.

Hey presto! shot is lifted you then get some tame helpers to pull in the line before it sinks back again. Its easy to see that its lifted as the buoy is dragged along a little.

Now for this little labour saving beauty you surely get a green blob!!?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2004, 14:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
One option for hauling it up is to set up a largish buoy with a ring (meatal) beneath, pass the shot rope through this this attach to your D-rings/tow eyes. Check shot isnt fouled! very important! then gun the throttle into wind/tide.

Hey presto! shot is lifted you then get some tame helpers to pull in the line before it sinks back again. Its easy to see that its lifted as the buoy is dragged along a little.

Now for this little labour saving beauty you surely get a green blob!!?
Yes well known principle but we are talking about 25Kg to be lifted along with say 50 M of line! You are going to kneed a very large buoy. Also its going to sink back down very quickly!