Old 28 September 2016, 14:17   #1

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
I'm thinking of buying a Cobra 8.0 ... How good is the hull?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Cobra 8.0 to use in and around the Solent. How good is the hull? I don't want a RIB that is going to crash and bang on every wave. If you have one, please can you PM me your telephone number ... I'd love to pick your brains.

I've tried a Scorpion 8.1, which had an amazing hull, but I cannot get one in my budget because I want one with a heads.
Old 28 September 2016, 17:14   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156 View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Cobra 8.0 to use in and around the Solent. How good is the hull? I don't want a RIB that is going to crash and bang on every wave. If you have one, please can you PM me your telephone number ... I'd love to pick your brains.

I've tried a Scorpion 8.1, which had an amazing hull, but I cannot get one in my budget because I want one with a heads.

I'll be honest. Never been on a cobra. My mate has one and he was gob smacked at the difference in ride between his and my scorpion8.1. That said I did the lymington challenge a few years ago and a 7.5m cobra pretty much paced me in a 7.5 scorpion. He was faster in flat and me in the bumps. My boat didn't earn any scars but his transom crushed under the engine. It was very rough weather.

They started life as a speed boat and some width was put into the hull in the form of flat surfaces in the hull I believe. They certainly have more flat edges which In my mind make a harder ride. Very leisure in comparison to some hard core ribs but the do look very smart.
Old 28 September 2016, 17:14   #3

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Depending on your budget I know a very nice hunton 904 for sale with a heads....

Personally I wouldn't have a cobra
Old 28 September 2016, 17:22   #4

Zippy, are you thinking of this one?

Used Boat | Hunton Brokerage

Ideally I'm after an outboard version.
Old 28 September 2016, 17:50   #5

Sing song. Love that hunton. Lovely company with a real personal feel too. Like when graham ran scorpion.
Old 28 September 2016, 18:12   #6

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156 View Post

Have you considered a Stingher? ( I'm a little biased )
Very beamy and consequently lots of internal space, also a nice high bow for lumpy conditions, I personally don't like the 'flat' style ribs - more prone to stuffing??
There's a cobra 7.5 in Yarmouth , 2-3 years old and the tube grab handles are peeling off..........hopefully a one-off

8m's a lovely size for the solent and easily large enough if you want to travel further afield.
I ran a stingher 800gt for 3 summers and I'd have another one tomorrow
MRL Home page.. Quality RIBs UK and Channel Island supplier of Stingher RIBs, Predator RIBs, and Redbay Storm Force Ribs
Good luck
Old 28 September 2016, 18:15   #7

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
Hi, I have got an 8.0m Cobra and I had it from new 5 years ago and can honestly say that I have had no issues regarding the hull. I have been in all sorts of sea conditions from smooth to choppy to rough with no problem or discomfort. It is good for nearly 55 knots and will cruise all day at 30 -35 knots. I previously had a selection of Avon Ribs and as good as I though they were the sea keeping was not a patch on the Cobra hull. I had the Cobra 755 from new and had no issues and then had the 8.0. I love the style which suits my use and personally do not like the Scorpion which I accept has a better hull but I am no racing driver so can't really put it to the test. I also like the leisure styling of Cora as opposed to the more industrial/commercial style of Rib as supplied by Humber, Ribcraft, Rib X etc. Horses for courses spring to mind and I would certainly buy another Cobra Rib
Old 28 September 2016, 18:30   #8

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Yes indeed. Martin is a great bloke to deal with (we bought and sold our xrs37 with him) and that boat has had extensive upgrades.

Diesel economy in that boat is amazing and for something of that size and speed I would be going diesel and dry stacking.

I sea trailed a 7.6 (can't remember the exact model) cobra and was surprised how flighty it was compared to the shearwater I trailed back to back which was absoltly rock solid.

We have had 7.5 and 8.1 scorpions and. It much touches them in the rough.

I haven't been on a Hunton rib but it's based on the 28 hull Which was a great boat. Our 37 was a monster and absolute dream.. They do know how to make a decent boat!

Would think a deal could be had on that price.
Old 28 September 2016, 18:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Have you considered a Stingher? ( I'm a little biased )
Very beamy and consequently lots of internal space, also a nice high bow for lumpy conditions, I personally don't like the 'flat' style ribs - more prone to stuffing??
There's a cobra 7.5 in Yarmouth , 2-3 years old and the tube grab handles are peeling off..........hopefully a one-off

8m's a lovely size for the solent and easily large enough if you want to travel further afield.
I ran a stingher 800gt for 3 summers and I'd have another one tomorrow
MRL Home page.. Quality RIBs UK and Channel Island supplier of Stingher RIBs, Predator RIBs, and Redbay Storm Force Ribs
Good luck
I'm also considering a Stingher 800, how would the ride compare to the Cobra 8.0 in the Solent?
Old 28 September 2016, 19:17   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Old 28 September 2016, 19:31   #11

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Think the boat in the video is my old one before I owned her!
Certainly pay you to try a few brands of rib before you buy, Ed at MRL is very helpful and if he's got a 8m in stock I'm sure he'd let you sea trial it. Incidentally there's a 800gt for sale in Bembridge on the island, think it's around the 30k / 2008 with the 300hp verado.
Old 29 September 2016, 09:33   #12

The Stingher 800 loves lovely and seems to cope well with the sea conditions.

Does anyone have experience of the Cobra 8.0 and Stingher 800? If so, I'd love to know which has the softest riding hull, and how they compare to what seems to be the benchmark standard of the Scorpion?
Old 29 September 2016, 13:14   #13

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
If I was spending that level of money I'd be going out in them myself, rather than listening to others views.
Old 29 September 2016, 14:51   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
If I was spending that level of money I'd be going out in them myself, rather than listening to others views.
Luckily the OP is a sensible individual and wants some owner opinion. He may even be lucky enough to find an owner who is honest and unbiased. I'm sure he'll be taking a test trip as well - although it's not always possible to sea trial a boat prior to paying a deposit.

I test drove a LOT of boats before springing for one. Curiously it was a casual conversation with an owner and another convo with a RIBnetter that steered me away from the wheelhouse boat I nearly bought and to where I ended up.
Old 30 September 2016, 19:27   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
He may even be lucky enough to find an owner who is honest and unbiased.
On ribnet?
Old 30 September 2016, 19:45   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
On ribnet?

Honest ain't a problem, 'tas always been my downfall, unbiased however...........

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2016, 06:29   #17

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
A stinger isn't remotely comparable to a scorpion hull for "proper" RIB use. I've used a stinger 800 and a scorpion 7.5 in the same place on the same day. No contest, a fiat and a ferrari. Albeit the fiat had some furry dice.

Can't speak for cobra I'm afraid.
Old 01 October 2016, 07:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Yes indeed. Martin is a great bloke to deal with (we bought and sold our xrs37 with him.
Zippy. What Xrs37 did you have? Next on my list, if the missus lets me
Old 01 October 2016, 08:44   #19

Length: 7m +
I have a cobra 7.5M a 2004 model which is a dave picton built cobra (built in wales), very happy with it bought it second hand and did it up somewhat. Positives and negatives in my humble opinion below. (my 2004 model)

Positives
Good looking rib
Plenty of storage
Dry ride
Handles most conditions (better than I do anyway)
Great for a blast and to relax on, the bow locker cushions great to relax on and read a book laying flat with head on tubes.
Good access to console from front and back which makes upgrading electronics etc easy.
Good fuel capacity.
A Frame, good design means you can easily step around and over to access rear step from transom (good for accessing bathing ladder etc)
Lots off grab rails, which really do give you a more confident feeling of safety.
Seating good and I love the bolster seating.
Good visibility and wind protection.
Quick enouth 40 to 46 knots with a 200hp yamaha 2 stroke in my case.
Solid build.
Good handling, no chine creep or excess in handling terms.
Decent re sale values if looked after.

Negatives
Over use of self tappers in lockers, I have replaced as many as practicle with nuts and bolts.
Cobra now in christchurch expensive in terms of any aftermarket stuff needed, things like new seat apolstraphy (cant spell it) etc, cheaper to find alternative sources for stuff which there are many.
I do at times feel it can have a hardish ride dependant upon weather conditions, does seem to slam a tad but again depends upon the conditions as most would anyway.

Overall a decent rib, fun, friendly and lots around. (one day this year at studland, 8 ribs anchored across the bay and 5 were cobras (4 7.5m and 1 6.6M)

You should also download and read carefully the report into the "Milly" incident in padstow if your looking for a few year old 8m version as there were some suggestions the hull design changes may have had a contributing factor to the incident.

Same as you if I had more funds I would go for a scorpion rib, im looking for an older scorpion rib I can do up for the future. That said I do really enjoy my cobra, i get plenty of use from it and its perfect for around the solent, cant really go wrong.