Click Here to Login

Old 29 August 2017, 07:33   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
If you snooze you loose - Truth v the Theory

There is much discussed on here about the best way to buy a boat, Including Sea Trials, Deposits, Engine and hull surveys and lots of paperwork checks and quite a lot of other theory. Well my experience yesterday chucks this all in the bin. I accept the boat in question a 17 year old Maxum 2400 scr priced at £20k is at the lower end of the price range.
Here is the story in short:
Let me first say the boat was not under priced but was in decent order with a high spec of add ons.
1) Saw boat on ebay advertised at £19,950. Contacted the guy through ebay on Friday (August Bank Holiday) and got a reply from him on Saturday. Spoke on the phone on Sunday and we agreed that I would view the boat (10 hr round trip from where I was) on Monday. He also informed me he had lots of interest in the boat and put another guy off to give me first refusal (The seller was very nice and I thought very genuine)
2) Arrived at marina to view the boat on Monday at 3pm with her in doors and had a normal cursory look over the boat. I was informed that he had 153 people 'watching' the boat on ebay which was correct and 4 people waiting to view but I was given first refusal. Now I know many of you will tell me these are all sales techniques but he was genuine I can assure you.
3) While we were viewing the boat a guy turned up (I assume one of the 4) and sort of tried to butt in as another buyer. This made the seller and me feel quite uncomfortable, but the seller asked him to leave/wait a while which he did.
4) I agreed a price with the seller of £20,000 to include the trailer should I wish to actually purchase and said I needed to discuss with my wife on the way home and would give him a definite answer that night when we got home. (This would be after 9pm as bank holiday traffic was terrible).
5) Just as we got home I received a very nicely worded text from the seller apologising but informing me that the other chap had turned up again and paid a £5000 deposit on the spot. I have no idea what he agreed to pay in total.
6) I do not blame the seller at all but this is a lesson learned. If you snooze you loose.....................................and as for all those checks you are supposed to do no time to even think let alone do as so many suggest on here.
The market is certainly changing or it was on this boat. A real life up to date experience, might be typical might not.

I have also had similar happen lately with 2 Rib purchases I tried to make

Dennis
Old 29 August 2017, 07:39   #2

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I just sold a 2000 Maxum 2400scr in very good nick for five grand less than that so I think you had a narrow squeak! There are others with brokers well under £20k
Old 29 August 2017, 07:56   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Of course your good buy wouldn't be a good buy if the engine didn't run right under load or had a drive problem
The new lucky owner might be crying all the way to the bank after his first run
It still remains that without a full sea trial and full inspection you could be in for a nightmare
Just because something looks and seems a bargain doesn't mean it's sensible to bypass the golden rules of buying to jump into a "bargain"
There's every chance your bargain may turn into a nightmare
Old 29 August 2017, 08:14   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Of course your good buy wouldn't be a good buy if the engine didn't run right under load or had a drive problem
The new lucky owner might be crying all the way to the bank after his first run
It still remains that without a full sea trial and full inspection you could be in for a nightmare
Just because something looks and seems a bargain doesn't mean it's sensible to bypass the golden rules of buying to jump into a "bargain"
There's every chance your bargain may turn into a nightmare
^^^^^This.
Would you buy a used car without a proper & thorough check including a test drive? Many do & forums are well stocked with tales of woe as a result.
Old 29 August 2017, 08:16   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
There is much discussed on here about the best way to buy a boat, Including Sea Trials, Deposits, Engine and hull surveys and lots of paperwork checks and quite a lot of other theory. Well my experience yesterday chucks this all in the bin. I accept the boat in question a 17 year old Maxum 2400 scr priced at £20k is at the lower end of the price range.
Here is the story in short:
Let me first say the boat was not under priced but was in decent order with a high spec of add ons.
1) Saw boat on ebay advertised at £19,950. Contacted the guy through ebay on Friday (August Bank Holiday) and got a reply from him on Saturday. Spoke on the phone on Sunday and we agreed that I would view the boat (10 hr round trip from where I was) on Monday. He also informed me he had lots of interest in the boat and put another guy off to give me first refusal (The seller was very nice and I thought very genuine)
2) Arrived at marina to view the boat on Monday at 3pm with her in doors and had a normal cursory look over the boat. I was informed that he had 153 people 'watching' the boat on ebay which was correct and 4 people waiting to view but I was given first refusal. Now I know many of you will tell me these are all sales techniques but he was genuine I can assure you.
3) While we were viewing the boat a guy turned up (I assume one of the 4) and sort of tried to butt in as another buyer. This made the seller and me feel quite uncomfortable, but the seller asked him to leave/wait a while which he did.
4) I agreed a price with the seller of £20,000 to include the trailer should I wish to actually purchase and said I needed to discuss with my wife on the way home and would give him a definite answer that night when we got home. (This would be after 9pm as bank holiday traffic was terrible).
5) Just as we got home I received a very nicely worded text from the seller apologising but informing me that the other chap had turned up again and paid a £5000 deposit on the spot. I have no idea what he agreed to pay in total.
6) I do not blame the seller at all but this is a lesson learned. If you snooze you loose.....................................and as for all those checks you are supposed to do no time to even think let alone do as so many suggest on here.
The market is certainly changing or it was on this boat. A real life up to date experience, might be typical might not.

I have also had similar happen lately with 2 Rib purchases I tried to make

Dennis

On the other hand, the other guy might have just paid over the odds for a lemon.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 08:32   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Much of what you are saying is true. The important message however is that there are people prepared to 'Jump in with both feet' and a limited supply so if you want to buy and follow the good advice you just might end up never buying. It is not a buyers market as so many seem to believe

Dennis
Old 29 August 2017, 08:34   #7
RIBnet Supporter

I think you were REALLY lucky.

You very nearly bought a Maxxum...
Old 29 August 2017, 08:36   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Always another Boat!
You may even have dodged a Bullet..if there's a moral to this on surely it's do enough Homwork ..and have sufficient knowledge to BE SURE ...BEFORE you look/trial ...AND carry some Cash for a deposite

I'm sure you'll find something as good or better,with a little time and reflection you're preferences may even change.
Good luck with the Hunt...and try to enjoy it.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 08:37   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think you were REALLY lucky.

You very nearly bought a Maxxum...

Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 09:42   #10

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Have you seen this at Abersoch Land & Sea ?
http://abersochlandandsea.com/boats-...ngdom-6256692/
Old 29 August 2017, 12:51   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Dennis,

The mistake here is having to discuss with your wife on the way home. You drove 5 hours each way unsure if you wanted that type of boat or not.

If the boat looked OK on the viewing you could have put down a deposit which would then have enabled you to have it surveyed or sea trialed.

As you say, you snooze, you lose.

Plenty more out there.

I tend to research locally so that when "the one" appears 200 miles away ata good price, perhaps due to location, I know what I'm looking for and go prepared.
On two occasions I've bought cars 5 hours away and driven them home that day.
I've also had a trip up to Anglesea to look at a "Bargain" Searider which turned out to be a dud. Over 600 miles in a day in a 1987 V8 range rover was both tiring and costly!
Old 29 August 2017, 16:17   #12

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Snooze you loose......Have to agree. I put £100 deposit on my current boat over the phone/bank transfer without even seeing it. Turned up, did the deal. Boat was exactly as the seller had described it and then found that another potential buyer had been "away to think about it" when I'd phoned and had came back a couple of hours later to get the bad news.
Know what you want and you won't have to go and think about it when it's sitting in front of you.
Old 29 August 2017, 20:43   #13

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I always try and take the view that your initial reaction is always the correct one at the time even if with hindsight it appears to be wrong.

You may change your approach with experience but at that moment not paying a deposit and discussing it with the wife was the correct thing to do for you.