Old 15 February 2010, 20:37   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
Help with Pro sport Ribs

Hi I am looking at buying a 9m prosport rib but have never heard of them, I would appreciate any advice on this company.

We have test driven Ribcraft and Ribtech does this company compare ?

Thanks in advance
Old 15 February 2010, 21:03   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If you search the forum you'll find a few interesting threads on Prosport.

I'm guessing this is an old boat?

From memory here is a brief summary. Prosport hull form is very similar (copy?) to the highly respected Revenger. They were made in Guernsey. Some people seem very happy with them but others had some quality issues. Probably the longest Prosport thread on here is about Codprawn's boat - and he certainly had some issues with the builder although I think he was happy with the boat. The company/moulds were sold to someone in the UK; although not been much about them on here since then - so maybe never took off?

Ribcrafts are generally well liked/respected here.
Several people here are also fans of Ribtec - although if its an old boat then beware there was a phase when some customers weren't happy with quality.
Old 15 February 2010, 21:19   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Given the choice of the three I'd buy a Ribcraft.
Old 15 February 2010, 21:47   #4

This is a 2005 boat

We do love the ribcraft, but it is a choice between a new Ribcraft 5.85m or a 05 Ribtech 7.85 or this pro sport 9m 2005

We are a large family with 4 young children so we need seating on jockey seats for 6 people. We dont like the bench style seats
Old 15 February 2010, 21:55   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
It'd be a new Ribcraft then. Jase is a member on here and I'm sure he'd help you get sorted.
Matt H got a 5m from them which he seems to be very happy with.
Old 15 February 2010, 21:55   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahscottiedog View Post
This is a 2005 boat

We do love the ribcraft, but it is a choice between a new Ribcraft 5.85m or a 05 Ribtech 7.85 or this pro sport 9m 2005

We are a large family with 4 young children so we need seating on jockey seats for 6 people. We dont like the bench style seats
that strikes me as an odd mixture of possibilities - I guess the common factor is the price bracket? But running costs are going to vary hugely also - I expect. how young are the kids? whilst I personally prefer jockey's to benches with little kids a bench at the back may be better - especially if they don't have the leg length/strength to use jockey's properly.
Old 15 February 2010, 22:00   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
As Polwart says, those boats are very different and there'll be a wide range of advantages/disadvantages in each. Maybe try them out first to see which (if any) does what you want from it before deciding.

If on the new 585, you're thinking that a seat in front of the console will accommodate 2 people, then think again, 'cos it's not the best place to be when underway - ok at rest though. I suppose you could fit 2 single jockeys and 2 doubles behind, but that wouldn't leave you with a lot of deck space (you may not need this anyway)
Old 16 February 2010, 08:28   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Forget the Prosport. As Polwart says, It'll cost a fortune to run. We also have 4 kids. In my experience, a 6-7m boat would be the ideal size. A 585 would be a tad busy with 6 people onboard, especially as the kids grow.
Old 16 February 2010, 08:35   #9

Town: andover
Make: Renegade 720
Engine: 200 verado
What sort of money are you looking at spending?
Old 16 February 2010, 09:50   #10

we are looking at upto £27k for the right boat

We need 2 singles and 2 double jockey seats. The kids are now 11,9,7 & 6 and are all more than happy being on jockey seats.

We have met Jason at Ribcraft, and although they are the best boats in my opinion as some of you agree 5.85 just wont leave us any room in the boat with the seats that we need.

The man selling the pro sport tells us that it uses 16 litres an hour at 30 knots ! anyone know any different we dont believe him either

If anyone knows of any boats for sale or advice it would be gratefully received
Old 16 February 2010, 10:03   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
we are looking at upto £27k for the right boat

We need 2 singles and 2 double jockey seats. The kids are now 11,9,7 & 6 and are all more than happy being on jockey seats.

We have met Jason at Ribcraft, and although they are the best boats in my opinion as some of you agree 5.85 just wont leave us any room in the boat with the seats that we need.

The man selling the pro sport tells us that it uses 16 litres an hour at 30 knots ! anyone know any different we dont believe him either

If anyone knows of any boats for sale or advice it would be gratefully received
What outboard does the pro sport have fitted ?
Old 16 February 2010, 10:08   #12

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Lazy C...
Make: Osprey XR20
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2.5V6 200
For £27K you could have a very good 2nd hand 7-8m boat, I'm sure there was a 7.5m Osprey Vipermax over here for £25K-ish, can't remember the details but it was only a few years old.

Prosport have had lots of problems with shoddy quality and by all accounts customer service is pretty awful, although it does vary a lot apparently from boat to boat. My mate has a 6.5 with a yam 150 and has had no end of problems.
Old 16 February 2010, 10:13   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
That seems very unlikely! Most people reckon on a cruising consumption of around 1 L/Nm - regardless of the boat/engine - so more like double that. I don't know what engine it has but at full throttle a 200 HP 2 stroke will be burning close to 100 quid in petrol and oil every hour.

Bigger boat means:

- more expensive to store (realistically you'll not want to be launching and recovering a 9m boat on a regular basis especially with 4 grumpy children getting in the way!).
- larger engine so more fuel - more fuel means more tempted to refill at the dockside than tow it to a garage = significant premium
- larger engine probably more expensive to service / parts etc
- larger boat to tow (if this is what you plan) - more expensive on fuel, more restrictive on tow car, harder work to move etc.

All the 'silly things' like anchors, ropes, fenders, covers, etc will all be bigger and so add up to more initial cost or more replacement cost when the time comes.
Old 16 February 2010, 10:40   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
As the others have said, Prosport is likely to be hit or miss. If you are seriously thinking of buying it then spend on a proper survey.

The Ribcraft 585 is a great boat, but not a good choice if there are regularly going to be 6 people on board. If you want a Ribcraft it might be worth seeing if Solent RIB Charters are changing any of their boats this year - they've got a whole fleet of 6.8 and 7.8s all fitted to a good standand and well maintained.

The Ribtec should be OK, it's a well proven hull design and as far as I know the build quality at Ribeye (who own Ribtec) is OK these days.

If I was in your position I would seriously consider one of the ex-demo Parker 750 diesels, and get them to put a bench seat on the engine box. I had a similar setup which it worked very well, and 7.5m is a good compromise with plenty of space and capability but still easily manageable.
Old 16 February 2010, 12:59   #15

You should be able to get a new 6.5m Vipermax for £27k, if you're not too lavish with the fit out. This would comfortably accommodate 6 people on 2 x single and 2 x double jockeys, if you opted for the right console.
A 6.5 Ribcraft is another option, but I don't know if £27k would be enough to buy you a new one.
Old 16 February 2010, 14:54   #16

Town: manchester
Just a thought pro sport gone out of business no back up
Old 16 February 2010, 19:41   #17

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I would agree that a 6.5m would be good for 6 people. My Osprey is comfortable for 6, having 2 single jockeys and two doubles. I would be very wary of a Prosport without having an extemely close look at it first.
Old 16 February 2010, 20:36   #18

I think we have decided to avoid Prosport thanks to your advice and are now looking at at least a 6.5 is going to be the best boat.

I am waiting for Osprey to come back with a quote and then we can compare against the Ribcraft/quest & tech would still prefer a second hand boat upto 5 year old, so will have to wait for the right boat to come up for sale !!!

Thanks for all your advice I will keep you updated
Old 16 February 2010, 20:41   #19

bedajim's 6.5m Vipermax, if the (removable) single aft pods were swapped for doubles? Easy & cheap job.
Old 16 February 2010, 21:14   #20

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
As the others have said, Prosport is likely to be hit or miss.
Would that be the 9m prosport that possibly hit the Lymington lifeboat at about 40 mph after the crew fell out of it It was an older boat though.

Wanted to buy it off JBT on 11 Sep 2001 (rememberable date) but he was just asking too much unfortunately. Next time I saw it in Lymington about 2004 it had a new GRP bow but the tubes still leaked.

Pete