Old 17 June 2022, 06:42   #1

Length: 3m +
Hamble to Yarmouth

Hi All,

I am going to Hamble to Yarmouth on Sun 26th June in a 6m RIB. Current weather looks like 15mph/F4 from South West - tide will be running Westwards when we make the passage.

I’d appreciate any views on what to expect - plus any tips on how to avoid the potential chop

Much obliged

Chris
Old 17 June 2022, 07:16   #2

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Forecast unlikely to be accurate at that range, but providing actual conditions are something similar, it will be fine.

Worst of it will probably be where the Hamble meet the Solent proper - also keep an eye out for Cowes ferrys etc as you cross the main channel at that point.

I'd then cross over to the IOW side, more interesting than plowing up the middle, and probably a bit flatter. Newtown Creek a nice place to nose around en-route - Have fun.

Yarmouth likely to be rafting up chaos, but just go with the flow, your boat will almost certainly still be there when you get back....
Old 17 June 2022, 09:25   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
My only suggestion is that if you get out there and decide it's not really for you e.g. it's too wet and slammy, then adopt a Plan B. Cowes, Bucklers Hard or head east to Bembridge or Portsmouth. If it's really rubbish and the tides are in your favour, Ashlett Creek (which is almost a stone's throw from the mouth of the Hamble) is quite a nice location for a pub lunch.

I think in another post, you suggested you had children with you. From experience they tend to have a lower acceptance threshold of being regularly doused in Solent water.
Old 17 June 2022, 15:16   #4

Thanks Both. Yes my 6 year old is coming and will indeed be less tolerant! I will plan an alternative route to Portsmouth just in case.
Old 17 June 2022, 18:56   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswjallen View Post
Thanks Both. Yes my 6 year old is coming and will indeed be less tolerant! I will plan an alternative route to Portsmouth just in case.

You will experience similar if you run to Portsmouth if weather is poor for Yarmouth and remember you need to come back.
Not looked ahead to tide but too early for weather . Not a spring tide as this weekend.
We regularly run this route to Yarmouth but 8.5 m. As you get to Calshot judge sea state as this is a usual mix if the run will be hard work. Run bows into wind and that keeps you dry. If you go direct across to Cowes side then spray on beam could soak you . If too poor once near Lepe turn into River Beaulieu and have a nice slow explore, stay in river channel don’t deviate
Old 17 June 2022, 22:40   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Just beware the "Solent Chop" apparently far worse seas than anywhere else in UK

Seriously, if you have a 6 year on board, be very aware of the conditions. if lumpy of Clashot consider alternatives - either just over to Cowes, or Southampton water for a blast, then a slower cruise up the Hamble.

the run to Portsmouth and back can be lumpy too.

If marginal for your assessment , you are probably better crossing to Cowes and hugging IoW coast to Yarmouth. Remember you need to get back as well.

Whatever you decide be safe and enjoy
Old 18 June 2022, 07:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Just beware the "Solent Chop" apparently far worse seas than anywhere else in UK

Seriously, if you have a 6 year on board, be very aware of the conditions. if lumpy of Clashot consider alternatives - either just over to Cowes, or Southampton water for a blast, then a slower cruise up the Hamble.

the run to Portsmouth and back can be lumpy too.

If marginal for your assessment , you are probably better crossing to Cowes and hugging IoW coast to Yarmouth. Remember you need to get back as well.

Whatever you decide be safe and enjoy

Thank you for the feedback everyone
Old 18 June 2022, 07:45   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
On the Solent, it’s easy. Don’t pay too much attention to the wind forecast, download the Solentmet app which gives real time weather at Bramble Bank, Chichester Harbour entrance and in Southampton water and Chichester harbour.
Then aim for the sheltered bit, last week there was a rare northerly and we went up the Beaulieu river then inshore along to Langstone. In the last 2 days we had an easterly and went from Cowes into Newtown creek, then a more standard westerly and headed for Osborne bay and Wooton creek.
Personally I would avoid Yarmouth at the weekend during the summer - too busy and I love my boat too much for rafting up in that chaos! In our SR4, we could park up with the dinghies but in a bigger boat it’s a pain!
Old 21 June 2022, 07:36   #9

Town: London
Length: no boat
I did this exact run in a 6.0 rib on Saturday 18th. Not too bad - didn't get soaked on that day. I found that the most chop was over the contour lines on the chart... So tried to avoid spending too much time on those.

Mooring at Yarmouth was a doddle - arrived in the morning and only had to climb across one boat and the pontoon is right at the entrance to the harbour.
Old 21 June 2022, 08:42   #10

Thanks Fram. I am assuming you may be a member of Urban Truant as well!

Where abouts where the lumpy contour lines you speak of?

Many thanks

Chris
Old 21 June 2022, 12:03   #11

Quote:
Thanks Fram. I am assuming you may be a member of Urban Truant as well!

Where abouts where the lumpy contour lines you speak of?

Many thanks

Chris
Yes indeed! You may find people's recommendations from my thread useful.

I found the lumpy bit to be North of Newton Creek, between 2K Cowes Radio and 3A West Lepe (easily viewbale on the Navionics chart viewer here.
Old 24 June 2022, 06:02   #12

Hello everyone
Forecast for Sunday now F5 gusting to F6 around the Solent
With previous F4 forecast and everyone’s advice I had planned a shorter passage from Hamble down to The Beaulieu River, but now doubting whether I should reschedule - thinking about my 6 year old particularly!
Old 25 June 2022, 13:30   #13

Quote:
Hello everyone
Forecast for Sunday now F5 gusting to F6 around the Solent
With previous F4 forecast and everyone’s advice I had planned a shorter passage from Hamble down to The Beaulieu River, but now doubting whether I should reschedule - thinking about my 6 year old particularly!
What's the plan Chris? If you do go out, please report on conditions so I have some idea what to expect for next week! I took the UT rib out in some rather large waves and it handled them fine - I'm sure you will be okay but of course your kid may not appreciate being bounced around!

I did Hamble to Beaulieu on a previous visit and to be honest you still have to go through the choppy bit (if it is choppy!) but after that once you're in the Beaulieu it was dead calm.
Old 25 June 2022, 13:38   #14

Hi Fram
I made the decision to move back to Sunday 3rd July where initial forecast is more favourable and usual F3/4 from SW. I am really looking forward to it and think it a wise decision.
Chris
Old 25 June 2022, 13:40   #15

Quote:
Hi Fram
I made the decision to move back to Sunday 3rd July where initial forecast is more favourable and usual F3/4 from SW. I am really looking forward to it and think it a wise decision.
Chris
I'm out the same day, will dm you!
Old 25 June 2022, 13:56   #16

Nice one. Hope to see you next weekend