Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Never said it was illegal.
And yet you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe
Both are illegal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Unless I'm mistaken a rocket is a firearm which is exempt from licencing.
I believe you are mistaken "old fashioned" (or are the American?) flare pistols are fire arms.
Quote:
I'd be surprised (but haven't checked) if the exemption doesn't in some way state its exempt when intended as a distress signal. When you decide to fire it for entertainment that may well change the game!
or it might all be internet hype and rumour! I draw your attention to R v's Mr A which is described here: What is a firearm (R v Mr A)? | 15NBS

Whilst the crown suggested that both fireworks and flares were firearms the defence argued that the barrel was not reusable and so was not (actually the case is even more complex - but the jury acquitted Mr A of possessing a firearm). That type of flare is much closer to the "gun" than a traditional parachute.

Quote:
Even if the firearms regs don't apply (and I'm less certain they do to handheld red /smoke), they could easily have you on a public nusience charge I'd expect?
(i) handheld reds and smokes are definitely not firearms as the definition of firearm requires the discharge of a shot, missile or projectile. (ii) I think you may struggle to convince even the prosecutor that discharging one glowing red object on 'bonfire night' was a public nuisance amongst all the other noisier, more spectacular stuff going on. Bearing in mind it needs to be in the public interest to prosecute. If you set it off near water or somewhere on the hills and triggered a search perhaps, but inland?

Quote:
I could even be convinced that "The Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations 1996" could apply - nothing in them says the vessel needs to be afloat,
suggest you read section 2(1)a more carefully. "and other ships while within the United Kingdom or the territorial waters thereof";

Quote:
nor that the master of the vessel needs to be with the vessel... perhaps something in the wider Merchant Shipping legislation would say it can't apply.
I suspect there will be good case law to establish that you are not master if not on board!

I assume you have read this: http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/legislat...tml#post292814

Quote:
And if none of that applies then does the Fireworks Act 2004 apply? As a flare will not be tested to comply with BS 7114, it could be considered a class 4 firework. I'm sure I read a firework is meant to provide entertainment. I'd suggest the reason its being fired during a fireworks night it may be being used for entertainment. Normal members of the public can't possess class 4 fireworks.
Well I'll bow to the "tall ones" expert knowledge on this but he obviously doesn't seem to think so...

For the avoidance of doubt I am not suggesting it is a good idea to set them off on the 5th November - but I do get irritated by people claiming on the internet that things are illegal which are probably not
Old 12 September 2013, 11:47   #62

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Just as an update..I took my out of date flares down to the rnli in Poole.

They ask you call them first to ensure there is someone who knows about flares to be there to take them.

Took them to their gate house where a really nice chap security guard made no fuss and took them with a smile and thanks.

I asked if I could keep the container..and was offered my choice of empty flare containers boxes! (Even a full sized box!). Also had a nice chat about the state of some of the stuff they get in...that can on occasion mean calling in RN bomb disposal team due to the appalling state.

Further great service from the rnli..

Only place I can see to get a laser flare of any tested /known type is spr.

I'll be buying shortly...wonder if I can still get a free pouch as a ribnobber?....
Old 12 September 2013, 12:42   #63
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
yes - Peter I give you free case if you order up let me know.

regards
Old 12 September 2013, 21:13   #64

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I like the idea of laser flares instead of carrying explosives around in my boat.

Are laser flares a viable alternative to all pyrotechnic flares or do you still need some explosive ones as well e.g. orange smoke or parachute ?

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 21:23   #65
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I like the idea of laser flares instead of carrying explosives around in my boat.

Are laser flares a viable alternative to all pyrotechnic flares or do you still need some explosive ones as well e.g. orange smoke or parachute ?

--
Hi Chris,

I am Uk & Ireland Importer of the Greatland Rescue Laser Flares and TRADE member

I carry Orange Smoke and 2 Paras in my my safety kit - but this Is because my boat was used for RYA courses and sometimes lead boat on cruises.

If I was not doing above, my boat safety kit would be:

buoyant orange smoke
PLB
icom DSC handheld with fist mic
AIS personal SART (only item I don't have)
Lifejacket Light
High Powered LED light (fenix pd30)

I carry GREEN rescue laser flare, unless I given it out on demo - I have a red light one on my car keys.

does this help you?

The Rescue Laser Flare Is designed to guide in your rescuer AFTER help has been raised by other means - VHF, AiS or PLB or dreaded mobile phone ....

S.
Old 12 September 2013, 22:10   #66

Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
yes - Peter I give you free case if you order up let me know.

regards
I ordered one tonight. Feel free to throw in a case if you like
Old 12 September 2013, 22:15   #67
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post
I ordered one tonight. Feel free to throw in a case if you like
I have pmed you to confirm your name!

S.
Old 12 September 2013, 22:33   #68
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Am I missing something.....I thought you weren't supposed to shine lasers at planes/people etc?

I mean they seem a damn good idea but I thought this was a no no. Are they very low power or something?

Chris
Old 12 September 2013, 22:41   #69
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Am I missing something.....I thought you weren't supposed to shine lasers at planes/people etc?

I mean they seem a damn good idea but I thought this was a no no. Are they very low power or something?

Chris
yes - never shine a laser pointer at planes / focused beam.

BUT

Greatland Rescue Laser creates an ever expanding laser beam meaning it will not affected pilots vision.

These have been tested by UK & USA military, and I have been issued safety certificate.

http://www.rescue-flares.co.uk/How_t...ty_flares.html

http://www.sprmarine.co.uk/content/u...er-flares.html

above link explains how they work...
Old 13 September 2013, 07:23   #70

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Just as an update..I took my out of date flares down to the rnli in Poole.

They ask you call them first to ensure there is someone who knows about flares to be there to take them.

Took them to their gate house where a really nice chap security guard made no fuss and took them with a smile and thanks.

I asked if I could keep the container..and was offered my choice of empty flare containers boxes! (Even a full sized box!). Also had a nice chat about the state of some of the stuff they get in...that can on occasion mean calling in RN bomb disposal team due to the appalling state.

Further great service from the rnli..

Only place I can see to get a laser flare of any tested /known type is spr.

I'll be buying shortly...wonder if I can still get a free pouch as a ribnobber?....
Ask for the laser flare free of charge and do a test / review in conjunction with RNLI and powerboat and rib magazine, im sure many of us here would be interested in how they perform. The free of charge bit for the PR value.

In terms of your previous post and how many flares and other safety kit you take out, definately not overkill in my opinion as sods law dictates that something will not work when you need it and hence if you have several ways of getting help then the risk is reduced.

I just discovered recently my fixed VHF cuts off / shuts off when I go to transmit, its an ICOM unit infact the same unit that seems the most popular on smaller boats, looking at the FAQ section of Icom and other forums it seems a common problem is the connections especially back to battery or around fuse holder degrading so will have to do some re-wiring this weekend. Point is I have flares , a mobile and a handheld VHF so if unit had failed I had alternatives.
Old 13 September 2013, 07:27   #71
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Boris, free of charge kit may not be the best way to get truly impartial and independent views on the performance. I'm sure it's in the financial reach of either the rnli or powerboat and rib if they care enough!
Old 13 September 2013, 07:42   #72

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'm going to have a look ropund the boat show to see if anyone has any laser flares I can 'handle' , then buy a couple off SPR ( maybe a bulk buy epic! ) ? ) Maybe suzuki could sponsor some tests? and find a winner

I feel quite confident that between DSC HH / PLB & laser flare - some one will find me or the boat pretty quickly if ever needed .

As was said its all about options in the event of needed help.
Old 13 September 2013, 08:08   #73
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Maybe suzuki could sponsor some tests? and find a winner
PeterM - Surely it's Mazda who are in "distress"?

Boris - your VHF issue is commonplace, in my experience a result of rotten copper being able to supply the amps required for TX. You MAY need to rewire all the way back to the busbar and beyond. Cut a bit of wire to check if it has blackened.
Old 13 September 2013, 08:26   #74

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post

Hi Chris,

I am Uk & Ireland Importer of the Greatland Rescue Laser Flares and TRADE member

I carry Orange Smoke and 2 Paras in my my safety kit - but this Is because my boat was used for RYA courses and sometimes lead boat on cruises.

If I was not doing above, my boat safety kit would be:

buoyant orange smoke
PLB
icom DSC handheld with fist mic
AIS personal SART (only item I don't have)
Lifejacket Light
High Powered LED light (fenix pd30)

I carry GREEN rescue laser flare, unless I given it out on demo - I have a red light one on my car keys.

does this help you?

The Rescue Laser Flare Is designed to guide in your rescuer AFTER help has been raised by other means - VHF, AiS or PLB or dreaded mobile phone ....

S.
Thanks for the info SPR. Why do you carry red and green laser flares? What are the pros and con's of each? Do i need both or just one? Do the emergency services in the UK recognise a green laser as a distress / this is where I am marker.

Will a laser flare be effective in daylight hours.

Sorry about all the questions.

--
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 08:38   #75

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
Thanks for the info SPR. Why do you carry red and green laser flares? What are the pros and con's of each? Do i need both or just one? Do the emergency services in the UK recognise a green laser as a distress / this is where I am marker.

Will a laser flare be effective in daylight hours.

Sorry about all the questions.

--

Good questions Chris, I'm interested meself, so await the answers. I have made a policy decision not to replace my out of date flares, so am in the market for a viable alternative.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 08:48   #76

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I spoke with an RNLI chappie at London boat show about laser flares as I was interested in the odeo flare at the time.

He told me about a sea trial performed where various emergency services were involved/present and none of the laser flares performed to their satisfaction and they could not yet recommend laser flares as an alternative to pyrotechnic based flares.
Old 13 September 2013, 09:54   #77

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
And of course they don't work in low viz/ the general public mostly have no idea what they are and as such are unlikely to call 999/ they are NOT approved by SOLAS/IMO/etc despite what the manufacturers and sellers would have you believe.

SDG
Old 13 September 2013, 10:02   #78

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I think that laser flares are the way to go and as for the general public maybe a good advertising campaign would make them more aware.

The lasers that SPR sells (Greatland) do fan out when moved in a certain way.

As they get more popular maybe the prices will come down a bit, in time
Old 13 September 2013, 10:10   #79
SPR

One of the models is enough the red laser light is smaller and easier to carry on keys and most popular - so I carry it, to show people it.

Green model is brighter and better in day light.

I have supplied RNLI sea safety team with samples on there Request and they have been tested and now recommended as below:

They are NOT s replacement for Orange Smoke or Parachute.

NOT a primary means of distress - but secondary means Of guiding rescuer to your location as I said once PLB or VHF is used etc.

Feed back was the NAME flare gave people the wrong expectation, but Rescue Laser by it self would been better - expectations and all .

Daylight range : around 3miles
Night range : around 25 /30 miles

an independent review:

http://www.equipped.org/rescuelaser.htm

As all safety equipment it's having a variety of options to use - and the Greatland Rescue laser is SMALL Effective bit of Kit that can AID your rescue.

All new models supplied has the new fore sight to aid aiming.

S.
Old 13 September 2013, 10:29   #80
SPR

Kerny - I am slave to the dollar rate - but will give free case and some retro reflective solas V tape with any RIBnet order - email: info@sprmarine.co.uk after placing it.

Also remember: you only need to buy once! then it is just battery replacement. CR123A or AA

Greatland Rescue Laser / SPR has never marketed, it being type approved I think all my responses are Clear what they are designed for and limitations.

They are tests happening in USA right now, and we hope they will approve this as alternative to pyro's - but we realistically think they will say:

"Alternative to Pyro's IF a PLB and/or VHF radio is carried too" and to us this would be great, since this is where we see it fitting in.

regards

Scott