Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 January 2013, 16:02   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
I always keep my out of date flares for 5th November.

They always add an extra something to the bonfire party.

Please don't go telling me it's dangerous, its not.
Pretty sure its also illegal.
__________________

__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 16:04   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 195
Mmmmmm

Point well made, care needed.

Must admit that I only ever let off hand held smoke flares.

Still good fun though, and good practise.
__________________

__________________
j.i.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 16:07   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Pretty sure its also illegal.
So's speeding - I live far enough inland to set off the old ones in the garden. Neighbor wasn't too impressed with the smoke though!!
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 16:15   #34
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Pretty sure its also illegal.
Actually that has been debated on these pages previously and as yet nobody has cited a law which would be broken when on land! It may be illegal but it may not be.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 16:23   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
So's speeding - I live far enough inland to set off the old ones in the garden. Neighbor wasn't too impressed with the smoke though!!
Both are illegal for a reason, and in both cases people think "it won't matter if I break the law... ...just this once... ...the law wasn't really created for this situation"

If your thinking that and speeding will you still be saying that when you hit the 5 year old who walks from parked cars, the cyclist on the country road or whatever.

If your thinking that and setting off a flare will you still be saying that when a helicopter is overhead. OR when on Fireworks Day you are left with your last red rocket having exhausted all your other means of signalling distress to be firing it thinking... "No-one will respond to this because even if they think its a flare they'll assume some terwat is using up their time expired flares and fireworks night"...

Being inland is no excuse.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 16:51   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Both are illegal for a reason, and in both cases people think "it won't matter if I break the law... ...just this once... ...the law wasn't really created for this situation"

If your thinking that and speeding will you still be saying that when you hit the 5 year old who walks from parked cars, the cyclist on the country road or whatever.

If your thinking that and setting off a flare will you still be saying that when a helicopter is overhead. OR when on Fireworks Day you are left with your last red rocket having exhausted all your other means of signalling distress to be firing it thinking... "No-one will respond to this because even if they think its a flare they'll assume some terwat is using up their time expired flares and fireworks night"...

Being inland is no excuse.
I can't see any issue with hand held and smokes being let off in a safe environment, no one has suggested rockets flares are let off this way

SO as per your speeding grump - time and place. I see no issue with driving above the speed limit, in teh right place.

80 on a motorway is in my book acceptable. 31 in a 30 isn't. Time and place.
smoke and hand helds inland, away from teh sea and the fells like wise.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 18:05   #37
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Tell the good people of Whitby to mind their own bloody business
...to which they reply, "Well you can eff off and launch somewhere else then"

In all seriousness: if you had a laser flare rather than the normal kind, do people reckon it would satisfy these kinds of places that insist on safety kit?
__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 18:31   #38
Member
 
Johnscubanut's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 294
I attended a sea survival course last year & the instructor reckoned that Laser flares were going to be the things of the future! Demonstrated one in the classroom, pretty impressive I must say!
Size of a large pen & visible for miles! Replacable batteries etc.
Helicopter pilots at night not keen on them for some reason? lol
__________________
Johnscubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 18:32   #39
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
In all seriousness: if you had a laser flare rather than the normal kind, do people reckon it would satisfy these kinds of places that insist on safety kit?
I've never been asked anywhere (one place I use asks if you have lifejackets but only for 'statistics'). Do they actually check your flare box? do they check dates, or have specific requirements? if not I'd guess you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Both are illegal
...OK I'll help you out one of them is often prosecuted under Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - can you clarify which offence you think someone might be committing for the other one?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 18:39   #40
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut View Post
I attended a sea survival course last year & the instructor reckoned that Laser flares were going to be the things of the future
I agree
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.