Old 16 May 2005, 19:56   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Fishing Gear in Central Solent

Best keep an good eye out folks.............

http://www.southamptonspin.net/zones...t/2005no17.pdf

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 20:04   #2

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Wonder who'll be the first to pick-up-a-pot then - sailing boat or high speed boat

We have numerous pots in and around the waterway here - mostly they're 'just' out of the channel, but some go astray (I hit one end of last year). One of my mates ended up having to go in the water last year to free floating pot rope from his prop - much fun....

I like the idea of light and radar reflector though - the height of marker also makes a wonderful difference from partially submerged buoy

-Alex
Old 16 May 2005, 20:49   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
I was very close to hitting one last night!

I can't believe where they put these things
Old 16 May 2005, 20:53   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I can't believe they are allowed to use old black liquid containers to mark the pots. I see them everywhere. They must be a nightmare at night. Surely they should put a light on them. Or would it scare the lobsters ???
Old 16 May 2005, 22:16   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
They must be a nightmare at night...
Yes and no... if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you've got no chance! But if you anticipate and plan, then you will OK. Keep to the main channels at night, or retrace a known safe route. Information like this is invaluable - cheers Peter T.

My most memorable hazard from last year was a lone buoy covered in green slime fixed a couple of miles out off Colwell Bay which we passed many times. It was almost invisible until right on top of it.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 07:36   #6

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
The RYA are working hard to improve the level of poorly marked fishing gear, and are interested in any details of entanglements . As Richard has said stay just inside the main channels at night and passage planning is your No1 priority for night navigation. Osbourne Bay has a couple of nasty ones that lay just under the surface at MHWS and the route up to the Hamble from Calshott North Cardinal is scattered with quite a few. Perhaps people could post on here sitings of poorly marked pots .
Old 17 May 2005, 07:41   #7

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Don't get me started on fishing gear in the wrong place, we collected a pot line at xmas in the main shipping channel in Plymouth and we are still trying to get it fixed. 2 bent blades and a drive shaft all from a pot line!!
Jelly
Old 17 May 2005, 07:49   #8

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Did you report it to the authorities , as the pot should have the license no of the boat on or some other identifying mark, at least that way the Port Authorities could prosecute. One would think you would have grounds for a claim against the fishing boat for laying marks in a channel and posing a danger to shipping
Old 17 May 2005, 08:07   #9

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Tim,
it was an unmarked light to mid blue chemical drum laid in just on the edge of the main shipping channel - no one is going to own up to that!!
Also it was more than likely not a profesional's string - there are much better places I 'm told.
I was more worried about getting some where safe to check out the strange noise and vibrations coming from the drive.
James
Old 17 May 2005, 08:30   #10

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
But if you anticipate and plan, then you will OK. Keep to the main channels at night, or retrace a known safe route.
Richard,

You ought to try a cruise up the Norfolk coast. The damn things are everywhere. Sometimes up to as much as 3/4 miles off shore. The Cromer, Sheringham, Mundesley section is notorious. Me and me dad used to take his motor cruiser up and down there on passage from Gt Yarmouth to the wash or Humber ports and it aint the first time the diving gear has had to put on!!!!! These pots were laid in the so called channel. The ships used to drive straight thro em.

It will be interesting to see how many of the pots will be to 'specification' in my experience not many

Thanks to Ribald for the info .

Martin
Old 17 May 2005, 11:05   #11

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
.....My most memorable hazard from last year was a lone buoy covered in green slime ....... It was almost invisible until right on top of it.....
I think this is deliberate talking to one of the people responsible for this madness he said that if you leave a very visible pot mark they are forever getting robbed so he uses the least conspicuous buoys which he sets at low tide with a short rope that pulls the buoy under for most of the time To a point, I can understand why he does this because it must frustrating spending time and money setting the pots and not getting a catch but really you can't behave like this these days with the coastal waters being so busy Des
Old 17 May 2005, 13:18   #12
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Maybe they can make the fisherman liable for any damage if his gear isn't marked/lit appropriately...............

D...
Old 17 May 2005, 13:29   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I think this is a good step forward. The new marks are very easy to see at night as well as during the day. Hopefully if the fisherman find fishing in these areas economically sustainable and there aren’t significant incidents then there will be a push to extend the areas where the specified fishing gear must be used.
Old 17 May 2005, 21:37   #14

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper
Richard,

You ought to try a cruise up the Norfolk coast. The damn things are everywhere. Sometimes up to as much as 3/4 miles off shore. The Cromer, Sheringham, Mundesley section is notorious.
do you get drift nets up there as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
Maybe they can make the fisherman liable for any damage if his gear isn't marked/lit appropriately.....
but if it is, then does the fisherman get paid for the loss of his fishing gear? and by whom?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 22:25   #15

Town: Leatherhead
QHM Local Notice To Mariners 03/05 http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/printab...?art=209&des=2 deals with this problem in the Eastern Solent. If you come across a pot not complying with the requirements in the areas designated it might be worth a call to QHM giving the GPS co-ordinates. [They ain't going to thank me for that ]

But of course you all know this 'cos you all read the LNTM's don't you.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2005, 02:19   #16

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Dare I suggest some more direct action IF the pots are improperly marked/laid???

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right but these illegal markers are a potential threat to life!!!
Old 18 May 2005, 08:09   #17
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
but if it is, then does the fisherman get paid for the loss of his fishing gear? and by whom?
If he doesn't want to lose it - he should mark it properly!!

If a boat hits a perfectly well lit mark, then I would think that the boat/driver should be held liable for any damage - if a boat hits something 'cos its a black oil container just under the surface, then the owner of the container should be liable.

Having said that - I've no idea how you would enforce it!!
Old 18 May 2005, 16:08   #18
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: yanmar
There seem to be so many out there I figured one more wouldn't matter so was thinking of putting one down myself! Properly marked of course!

Saw this is a magazine...quite fancy lobster for lunch. yum

http://www.lobsterprawnandcrab.com/