Old 18 May 2007, 09:07   #11

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Yes thats a 115. It topped out at 36.5knots. The boat had a Yamaha 115 on the back before that engine and it did somewhere in the 40s.

50 sounds a bit underpowered to me; you may well find your self ragging the engine at full-pelt the whole time which isn't great for the engine or the fuel consumption. That said you could easily change the engine at the end of the seaon when you've got used to the boat and used engine prices are at their lowest.

Old 18 May 2007, 09:24   #12

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Gavin the 5.35's maximum engine size given by Ribtec is a 90, I think a 50 will be OK, especially if your lightly loaded with only 1 or 2 people on board, but as Tim and Nos say a bigger engine may follow!
Nice action shot of a 5.35 (Mine!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5190 (Small).JPG
Views:	151
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	26952  

Old 18 May 2007, 09:38   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Kaybe
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha Wake Sport 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Gavin F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I had a 585 and it was a very solid, well built boat. This one is a 1992 model and really didn't look that old. Looks like a good deal
Tim I notice you're in Portsmouth (good man) and was wondering where you keep your RIB?
Old 18 May 2007, 09:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Gavin the 5.35's maximum engine size given by Ribtec is a 90, I think a 50 will be OK, especially if your lightly loaded with only 1 or 2 people on board, but as Tim and Nos say a bigger engine may follow!
Nice action shot of a 5.35 (Mine!)
Thats what the guy said, he said he had one on the boat but then went to a 50 so i'll give it a crack and go from there i think - nice pic by the way!
Old 18 May 2007, 10:01   #15

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin F View Post
Tim I notice you're in Portsmouth (good man) and was wondering where you keep your RIB?
I have a 7m Solent now which I keep in Haslar Marina.

I used to have an "arragement" with the guys that ran the Sparkling Car wash on Albert road. That was very handy until they closed down.

The Ribtec was kept in Portsmouth Sailing Club's yard which is down near the camber. Very handy for the slip! You could try and get your boat in there; all you need to do is join the sailing club and then pay for storage. It's very cheap. Just don't leave anything loose on your boat as it will disapear. Another great advantage of that is that you can go across the road ror a pint after your day out in the sailing club bar (pint of cider 1.30 )

Marina berthing is worth considering though; its not as expensive as you might think and its dead handy.
Old 18 May 2007, 10:18   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I have a 7m Solent now which I keep in Haslar Marina.

I used to have an "arragement" with the guys that ran the Sparkling Car wash on Albert road. That was very handy until they closed down.

The Ribtec was kept in Portsmouth Sailing Club's yard which is down near the camber. Very handy for the slip! You could try and get your boat in there; all you need to do is join the sailing club and then pay for storage. It's very cheap. Just don't leave anything loose on your boat as it will disapear. Another great advantage of that is that you can go across the road ror a pint after your day out in the sailing club bar (pint of cider 1.30 )

Marina berthing is worth considering though; its not as expensive as you might think and its dead handy.
Yeah i'm trying to find one of those "arrangements" but looking in to options as we speak, would like to stay in this area if possible so covering all bases. I've emailed Portsmouth Sailing Centre so we'll see what they say. Re the mooring side of things, think when i was chatting to someone re this they mentioned that Port Solent was approx 3k a year, that was as expensive as i thought!!
Old 18 May 2007, 12:21   #17

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Looking to have something safe to learn the ways of the seas and have a good play thing to escape from the stresses of work, hopefully this is it?
Good idea!
Old 18 May 2007, 12:26   #18

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Looking to have something safe to learn the ways of the seas and have a good play thing to escape from the stresses of work, hopefully this is it?
Good idea!