Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 May 2007, 18:35   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Is it me or does Gosport Marina hate me?

Heres a little rant; will be interesting to see who agrees with me.

Evolution was running pretty low on fuel the other day, and shes being used over the weekend starting early tomorrow morning so I decided to fill her up today, given I was stranded in Portsmouth because my car failed it's MOT because the headlight stalk is too stiff (but thats another story).

I was aware that the QM2 was leaving Southampton at 5 and rather fancied having a look close up as I've never seen her before, so the plan was to fuel the rib up, have a look at the ship then go home. First thing this morning I rang Gosport Marina to check what time the fuel pontoon closed as it's a little erratic at times. Today was no exception and I was told that the bloke who was on fuel duty was sick and that it would be closing at 4.45 instead of 6. That was fine, so at 3.30 I set off to the marina. As I motored up to the fuel pontoon at 6 minutes past 4 I could see that the pontoon was open as there was another boat filling up with diesel. I came along side and said to the bloke can I get some petrol please, to which he replied no, we're closed. I was slightly taken back as there was another boat there. So I asked again thinking he was joking. He said no again, saying that he had counted the money in the till and that he wasn't going to do it again (this irritated me more because I wanted to pay by card, and how hard can it be to add one number to another). I said I was really desperate and was there any chance he could just let me fill up before closing. Again he said no. At this point I got a bit angry and explained that I had rang the marina and they said they would be closing at 4.45. He didn't seem to care and said he was closed and walked off.

I ended up going to Port Solent to fill up which took an hour or so. Only advantage was that fuel there was 10p cheaper.

So yes, Gosport Marina, what a bunch of t****rs. Its nothing new; normally when I go there I radio up an get a load of abuse about how the woman who often works there is having her tea break and it'll be 15 minutes before she's finished her cup of tea.

Am I the only person who experiences this terrible customer service or has my boat got a bad name because Jimbo ( ) keeps playing music too loud?
Old 18 May 2007, 18:40   #2

Length: 6m +
Gosport marina are actually terrible. We have a lot of problems with our charter yachts and teaching ribs with them closing and opening randomly. Write a letter to premier marinas, see what response you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Am I the only person who experiences this terrible customer service or has my boat got a bad name because Jimbo ( ) keeps playing music too loud?
It wasn't me! It was my PBI students!
Old 18 May 2007, 18:53   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
When we used to call in there it was fine Tim & Jimbo. Sounds like things have gone downhill?

The hours (open) aren't great.

K & P
Old 18 May 2007, 19:10   #4

I take it you use Port Solent now? They couldn't have been more helpful; went through the lock straight away, someone there to meet us at the fuel pontoon and then staight back out away. Seemed odd since they are Premier too. Plus cheaper prices. Pitty its such a trek!
Old 18 May 2007, 20:45   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
I take it you use Port Solent now? They couldn't have been more helpful; went through the lock straight away, someone there to meet us at the fuel pontoon and then staight back out away. Seemed odd since they are Premier too. Plus cheaper prices. Pitty its such a trek!
The Port Solent crew are brilliant. Prompt, efficient and good laugh.
Old 19 May 2007, 09:01   #6

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
You'll just have to move in. Keep the noise down tho' !!!

We keep SAGA hours round here

Agree with Rich. The fuelling arrangements are good at Puerta Del Solenti.

K & P
Old 19 May 2007, 11:41   #7

Thats all very well but it takes 20 minutes to actually get to the sea!
Old 19 May 2007, 12:40   #8

Quote:
Thats all very well but it takes 20 minutes to actually get to the sea!
And that's if you ignore the speed limit!