Old 18 August 2017, 14:20   #21

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
I can't see this making sense and why would Suzuki provide a flush port if they recommended muffs anyway?

I have always only ever used the flush port & on servicing there is no build up of salt or corrosion on my DF70
Suzuki do state to flush with muffs on the first paragraph of their maintance Suzuki Marine - FAQ - Maintenance - How do I use and care for my outboard engine in saltwater

Not being funny but how do you know your internal engine parts have no salt or corrosion.

Can I ask if you bought it from new and we're you told by an authorised Suzuki dealer not to use the muffs.

I had a 90 Suzuki and used two different authorised dealers for my services, both recomended for a full engine flush to use the muffs and allow the engine to warm so the thermostat opens allowing fresh water to fully clean all parts.

How often do you change the 4 anodes on the powerhead and what condition are they in from not warm flushing. How many hours roughly per year do you do and how many on the engine.
Old 18 August 2017, 14:40   #22

I stopped running my suzuki on muffs as it would get overheat alarms in short order. I just flush port it now and the inside looks just as clean as when I run it on muffs. You can pull one of the many anodes in my block out and physically see what salt is in there.

I'm sure the impeller doesn't get as good a clean doing this though but pros and cons with each.

200 hours on mine and all the original anodes with plenty of life in them, they look almost new really.
Old 19 August 2017, 06:45   #23

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
I can't see this making sense and why would Suzuki provide a flush port if they recommended muffs anyway?

I have always only ever used the flush port & on servicing there is no build up of salt or corrosion on my DF70
The flush port can be used when the boat/engine is berthed in the water alongside a pontoon. Not ideal, but better than nothing.