Old 11 June 2004, 06:43   #41

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
I would never question the great work of the boys and girls in the RNLI.
The crews are fantastic people.
You could not pay me enough money to turn out in the condition that they do for free!!!

I give a fast car with a flashing blue light and a racing track any day of the week!

I have some great mate on crews of all types of boat.

I just think maybe we should consider the work of the other crews too.

I support both and will alway's continue to.

IMHO I don't think anyone is or was knocking the crews but maybe the people at the top.

Regards

Old 11 June 2004, 06:51   #42

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
So why are the Indies independant. Whats the point in that !!!. Surely as Richard says it would make more sense for them to be joined together as one body.

Or is it a case of the indies like being independant and having their own internal power crazy commitees which like hearing the sound of their own voices, as is often the case in "private clubs".

I must admitt until JK created this thread I was not aware that indies existed and all where part of the RNLI.

PaUL

Old 11 June 2004, 06:56   #43
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
most of the indies are supported by a small amount by the Solent safety
group who hand out a small amount of money to them then they have to raise their own cash the Solent is well covered by indies and the RNLI
tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 11 June 2004, 06:59   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
So why are the Indies independant. Whats the point in that !!!. Surely as Richard says it would make more sense for them to be joined together as one body.

Or is it a case of the indies like being independant and having their own internal power crazy commitees which like hearing the sound of their own voices, as is often the case in "private clubs".

I must admitt until JK created this thread I was not aware that indies existed and all where part of the RNLI.

PaUL
My understanding is that the indies are in areas where the RNLI feel the do not need to put a boat but the locals do want one.
It may also be an area where a RNLI boat used to be but they feel it is no longer needed there.

I may have that all wrong but is what I seem to remember.

I stand to be corrected

Regards
Old 11 June 2004, 07:59   #45

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Ouch! That's a bit unfair I think, saucer of milk anyone!!

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2004, 09:25   #46

Town: Crosshaven
Boat name: erm..Miss Betty
Make: Souter/Avon/ILC!
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2*75hp Yamaha
An insider's POV.

Hi folks, been lurking for a while will intro myself later, suffice to say for the mo that I'm an Atlantic 75 helm. The erstwhile Mr. Brooks may recognise me!

1. RNLI Funding levels are actually at a low, due to the stockmarket (and the RNLI were not the only ones hit - how's your pension fund?) and the capital expansion (boats, college, logistics) programme. The college will actually provide positive cash benefits (e.g. accomodation costs) and free up space needed in ILC Cowes to maintain the ever-growing fleet. Just read the last edition RIB Magazine (go on, force yourself, just the RNLI article, ok!!)

2. The required funding levels were based on bitter experience of the past. Many independents have not seen those times, and may not have learnt those lessons. Had the RNLI worked on tighter funding levels in 2000 - 2002, it may very well have run out of money since!

3. Absorbing independents - many have varying capability, sometimes beyond that of the RNLI. GAFIRS is a good example - dive unit, paramedics, etc. GAFIRs could not operate as it currently does if it was an RNLI station. The RNLI will not PUT a boat somewhere - they must be invited by the local community and it must make operational sense (e.g. other SRUs ). Thames was different - MCA requested and stations are F/T (mostly from Coastal station crew!) with volunteers

4. Charity - this point has been proven many times. To turn a previous post on its head, anyone for an NHS-quality SAR service? Ah yes, I can see SeaStart accepting BUPA already!

5. You forgot another indie - Maritime International Rescue between Aberdeen and Montrose, the former Rob Gordon Institute.

6. "Surely the more money the RNLI raise the better the equipment they can provide" - it tends to work the other way around - just like any well run business. Identify what gear is required, cost it, and fundraise. For example, the College would probably be funded by specific donations, as are boats, etc. Of course the fundamental principle is the same - if the money ain't there the gear that has been identified can't follow!

7. I'm not blind to the waste either - I know how the place works! However, some waste, while never acceptable, is somewhat inevitable in such a sized organisation and is offset by the savings, etc generated. Remember, the RNLI effectively has 5,000 employees (though unpaid, full H&S applies!) across 250 branches in the UK and Ireland. That's bigger than many large well-known corporations.

I have full respect and admiration for the independents - they train, their lives are put on hold every time the pager goes off, and they help people just in the same way as we do.

Perhaps the thread should be called "Don't automatically support the RNLI - there may be others more relevant to you!"

All the best - and remember to be careful out there!
Old 11 June 2004, 09:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribrunt
The erstwhile Mr. Brooks may recognise me!
Ah Venner I know the family!!!
Nice to see you come back on this one.
Hope you well and see you in July, I hope, its your round!

And welcome out from the lurking rock
I hope I don't need the aid of you and your crew mates in July!!
They are letting me loose on a rib for the week, god help them all!!

Best regards
Old 11 June 2004, 09:54   #48

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Good point Mr Runt, or can I call you Rib.

I think that with all good conscience we should support our local rescue orginization, be that an independent or RNLI.

I see it this way, I may want these people to rescue me one day ( imagine the shame ) and the more money they have been given to buy equipment and train the better.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2004, 11:57   #49

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Just got round to looking at the main board after spending most of my time on the Charity Auction Thread.

Looks like this thread is running away with itself.

I am an RNLI offshore member and will continue to be as long as it is available. This is my choice (yep mainly because it is easy) and because I think the RNLI deserve my hard earned cash.

Additionally living where I do I also contribute to SARA (Severn Area Rescue Association) as and when they are fund raising and when I have trips up to the humber I donate to Humber Rescue to launch at their slipway.

I think JK is right to raise the profile of these groups and it is everyone's personal choice whether to support them or not.

After the success of the Cancer Research Auction (and in a few months) I would be happy to run another and I feel the Independant Rescue Orgs would be a suitable charity to support if enough people are in agreement and JK agrees.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11 June 2004, 13:24   #50

Town: south shields
Boat name: jessiesue
Make: avon searider
Length: 4m
Engine: 40hp mariner pull start l/s
[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler] I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment, surely the important bit is being rescued, and I dont suppose you would really care who it was that rescued you.

Or would you tell the old lady in the rowing boat to go away, cause you'd rather wait for an Arrun Class!

i can guarentee that a fast car and a bucket of water will not put your shed fire out, in fact throwing a bucket of water into a shed on fire can make things a lot worse, ie chemicals+heat+water+paint, and all manner of other nasties can explode at any time.that's why it's best left to the proffesionals