Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 November 2005, 22:18   #1

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Difference between Avon SR4 and SR5.4?

I was wondering what handling and fuel consumption differences are there between the sr4 and sr5.4? Does the 5.4 handle significantly better or only a little better in the rougher conditions? Are there big advantages to the 5.4? I'm considering if I need to upgrade to a 5.4 with a 70 hp motor.

I love how fast, efficient and portable the sr4 is but its a bit cramped and I want that extra security for the rougher conditions. I hope someone has experience with both and could shed some light on the pros and cons of either boat against each other. Thanks all.

for reference my sr4 consumes roughly 10 gallons on a 52 mile round trip to the islands.
Old 24 November 2005, 22:44   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
There will be a huge difference in that you will have obviously a lot more room but also be able to travel at a higher speed in the rough. A 70 hp Evinrude will use 4 gallons an hour at 36 mph, thats UK gallons, say 18 LPH.

5.4m is still an easy single handed launch if you have a good sheltered slipway.

Pete
Old 24 November 2005, 22:53   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
To be honest I can't comment on the SR4 cos I've never driven or owned one, Other than that one I either have or have had the complete set.

My favourit boat ever was Tumbling dice an Avon 4.7 with a 70 Yammie which I foolishly sold. I now have a 5.4 with a 90 Tohatsu and there is a big difference in the Handling. The 90 doesn't quite ride on so small a Pad and the extra length means it lands a little less harshly. I imagine the difference between a 4 and 5.4 would be significant and the seas it could handle would be enhanced. I loved the 4.7 because it was so Feisty!

I am taking mine out on the weekend, I'll find out what the consumption is for you. (it's a chore, but I guess I can manage it )
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2005, 06:17   #4

Wow Pete, those are some really good numbers!

Rogue Wave, the sr4 is pretty feisty too. I imagine the difference between the 4.7 and 4 aren't that big. My sr4 fuel meter says I'm using 4.4 gal/hr going 28 mph. Unfortunately I don't think its that accurate but its a pallpark figure. If the 5.4 gets something close to the economy as Pete says I'm sold on getting one. Fortunately we have the USCG here to pick up the initial tab on these boats. Figure that and the relatively few people that appreciate them and its a buyers market.

I know of one person selling a rare sr6 with dual 90s but the weight and stats on the boat don't follow linearly with its smaller brothers. Its only 2 feet longer but weighs twice the 5.4, 1500 lbs. Whats up with that?

I'd really appreciate the fuel economy stats on your 5.4. Thanks.

Boatster
Old 25 November 2005, 06:27   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Hi Boatster,

I can tell you how a 5.4 handles compared to a 4 Meter Searider. I have driven a 5.4 over a few days when I did a course. I found it was significantly better at riding the rough stuff than my 4 Meter.

What I was suprised at though was that it didn't seem to have a lot more room inside it. And it still only seemed to be able to accomodate a 2 man jockey seat comfortably. You could possibly stretch to two single jockey seats but I would imagine that would be it.

Your fuel consumption seems quite high at present.

Might I suggest you look at getting a 4 stroke engine next time. I used to be an adamant 2 stroke fan but since converting to a 4 stroke would be hard pushed to go back. Fuel consumption at normal speeds is far less.

The only thing that would now stop me buying 4 stroke is initial cost, if a good deal comes up.

Go for the 5.4, it will be probably my next move.

Personally I would like the 4.7 meter boat. A compromise in all aspects, but they are like the proverbial "Rocking Horse Sh__" to find second hand in this country.
Old 25 November 2005, 06:34   #6

Hey Biggles,

Have you ever considered the Direct Injection 2 strokes? Evinrude E-tecs and Tohatsu TLDIs, simple mechanics, just as good economy as 4 strokes. I'm considering those options in the future. Right now I'm playing with the idea of a 5.4, or rather I'm in talks with someone selling.

With regards to space I would be able to pack more surfboards and gear into a 5.4. The sr4 is great fun though. I think I'm trying to justify hording another rib....sigh....
Old 25 November 2005, 08:03   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
I was wondering what handling and fuel consumption differences are there between the sr4 and sr5.4? Does the 5.4 handle significantly better or only a little better in the rougher conditions?
The difference in seakeeping and comfort will be enormous. At this end of the size range a few extra feet in length makes a world of difference -- the 5.4 will feel like twice as much boat as the 4m.

John
Old 25 November 2005, 08:42   #8

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Just for the record my 5.4 does around 1.2 NM/L (5 GPH) at 24kn according to the Navman. Engine is a 2 stroke carbed 90. So thats really your worst case figure. Going upto an Etec would allmost halve the consumption.

I mostly launch and recover single handed as my regular crew is only 11.

The tag line says it all.
Old 25 November 2005, 09:16   #9

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
5.4 fuel consumption

I would concur with Swiftys fuel consumption.

My 5.4 did a bit better than a litre per mile with a carbed Mariner 90 2 stroke. I tended to run around at more like 28 knots most of the time.

If you want to still have a "feisty" boat get a 90hp - a 5.4m will often chine walk over about 34/35 knots.

Can't remember what my 4 metre used but it was ok for use in the Solent with two 25 litre tanks - I never ran out!
3 cylinder Yamaha 50hp - pull start - no electrics to go wrong.
My 4 metre was less "feisty" - but this might have been because I had the back to back seats which kept the weight low in the boat.

Going for a new technology 2 stroke or a 4 stroke would make a huge difference to your fuel consumption. My 6.5m Scorpion with a 150hp Optimax uses the same amount of fuel as the 5.4m Searider did!

I really miss my 5.4m Searider. The Scorpion is a better boat, but is more complex and more difficult to launch. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I would also get another 4m if storage space became a problem.

Regards
Old 25 November 2005, 09:38   #10

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
Back in the land(?) of Ribnet

Hi everyone
been off having babies over the summer (well not personally of course) and haven't posted for a while.

I have made the same move - had to sell my 4m searider due to storage problems, and have very recently bought a 5.4 ex navy with a 75 mariner berthed proudly on the lawn!

I haven't had the opportunity to take it out yet so can't comment on consumption, but on land at least it does feel a lot bigger - the 4m I found quite hard riding on 'solent chop' and felt very cramped with four people aboard.

The move up made sense to me - particularly as I paid less for the 5.4 in better condition - possibly due to time of year.

Need to get on the water and live near the grand union canal - does anyone know where I can by an icebreaker prow?
Old 25 November 2005, 15:48   #11

Great info guys. Looks like everything is in the affirmative. Now I need to put on my negotiating hat and see if I can get a fair deal. Thanks for the feedback. We'll see in a few weeks time if something pans out. Even if not, I'm eventually going to get a 5.4.
Old 25 November 2005, 16:11   #12

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
Hi

If you look at this link you will see a SR 5.4 & SR 4 next to each other (the two orange boats).

http://www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk/gallery.htm

HTH
Old 25 November 2005, 16:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
. My 6.5m Scorpion with a 150hp Optimax uses the same amount of fuel as the 5.4m Searider did!

Regards

Boo Hoo

Boatster you mentioned the excessive weight difference between a SR6 and a 5.4 AS far as I know there are two types of 6's one is a stretched version of the 5.4 and the other is a 6.2 which is a shrunken version of the 8.4 and they are built stupidly tough!

I think so anyway
Old 28 November 2005, 17:59   #14

Hi RogueWave,

the boat is an SR6 with dual 90hp Tohatsu TLDIs. I was reading the specs and its twice the weight of a 5.4. I don't understand how 2 extra feet means double the weight. I begin to wonder if my Mitsubishi Montero (Shogun) V6 can manage towing this boat. I think the 5.4 would be perfect for my needs though. Dual 90s and all that weight seems more capable than the task i'll be asking of it.

The 5.4 I'm considering has a 70 Johnson 2 stroke but the tubes would need some tlc. I'm wondering if I should hold off and wait for a cleaner boat to pop up or just dive in.
Old 28 November 2005, 18:59   #15

go for it!

Toobs are possible to clean up.....to a point and will look acceptable in a day or so of effort.

The good thing about a Searider is that it will last for decades , so if the tubes hold air you can always retoob em in a few years if you so desire.

David Manning renovated my Sea rider ( and damn near made a silk purse out of a sows ear) He used Hypalon paint on the rubbing strakes which hid a few years of use!

I am presuming the hull is sound!

Re the excessive weight I guess the following might account for it:
the transom has to be substantially stronger to hold the extra engine weight and I presume that whatever that attaches to (the Hull) has also to be stronger to handle the extra forces generated by the engines
The boat is wider at the rear and the tubes are bigger
I would also imagine it would have inboard tanks

I have an Avon searider project to work on over the winter. It's a six metre and in a bit of a state, I'll keep you posted!
Old 28 November 2005, 19:38   #16

This sr6 has a 12 gallon portable tank under the console and two 6 gallons under the seat. Talk about sitting on a bomb!

I've been trying to look for something like hypalon paint. I'm afraid however it would just make things look worse when it eventually peels or bubbles off etc. And then if you need to patch or reglue something things will start to look tattered etc.

I do need to check the hull. I haven't been able to see the boat in person as they are over 800 miles away. Just photos and e-mail right now.
Old 29 November 2005, 06:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorgan
Hi

If you look at this link you will see a SR 5.4 & SR 4 next to each other (the two orange boats).

http://www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk/gallery.htm

HTH
Wow, just looked at the photos. The sr4 looks like a dingy compared to the 5.4. Thanks for the pics pmorgan.
Old 29 November 2005, 07:41   #18

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Wow, just looked at the photos. The sr4 looks like a dingy compared to the 5.4. Thanks for the pics pmorgan.
It should do, I think the larger Avon is in fact the 5.6m Adventurer.

Pete
Old 29 November 2005, 09:32   #19

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
The 5.4 I'm considering has a 70 Johnson 2 stroke but the tubes would need some tlc. I'm wondering if I should hold off and wait for a cleaner boat to pop up or just dive in. [/QUOTE]

I agree with Rogue - if the hull is sound and the price is right sounds ok! I guess you would want to be sure the trailer was ok before an 800mile tow... what are prices like stateside?
Old 30 November 2005, 18:32   #20

Pete7,

You're right its a 5.6 Searider. I was browsing around more on the website.

George,

It really depends on the condition but I've seen them selling anywhere from $3000-$7000. Some want over $10000 but I'm sure they don't sell. Most all the seariders here are ex USCG boats purchased as surplus.