Old 19 January 2006, 15:32   #41

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Your probably right about going straight for a 5.4 but it is a much bigger boat than the sr4. I love how small and capable the sr4 is. I wouldn't consider selling it. Over here we can park the sr4 at dinghy docks and leave it for up to 3 days in most all of the ports. It makes shooting out to the islands uncomplicated. Plus for the conditions I prefer to go out in the sr4 has handled beautifully. I wanted a sr5.4 for that extra safety when we go surfing out at the islands. Since the conditions could change considerably the extra capability would be a good thing. I would think if it didn't matter for you to store a 5.4 vs a 4 meter I'd probably just go for the 5.4. It seems they're all over the place in the UK. I'm jealous.
Interesting opinions there - do you feel in big seas in your boat, I feel quite vulnerable at times I have to say, would only take a side on wave, to fill her, if though she has got the oomph to get out of a mess hopefully

I made a rough calulation as to what she weighs in the sea, what do you think?

Console/seat/helm etc 50kgs
outboard 110kgs
1 x person 75-80kg
2 full fuel tanks 60kg
anchor and warp 15kg
cabling/rigging 10kg
boat (dry hull only) 160kg
2nd person 70kg
battery 20kg
flares/safety/other equipment 10kg

Total 580 kgs
Old 19 January 2006, 18:43   #42

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
I made a rough calulation as to what she weighs in the sea, what do you think?

Console/seat/helm etc 50kgs
outboard 110kgs
1 x person 75-80kg
2 full fuel tanks 60kg
anchor and warp 15kg
cabling/rigging 10kg
boat (dry hull only) 160kg
2nd person 70kg
battery 20kg
flares/safety/other equipment 10kg

Total 580 kgs
I think you may be overestimating a few items, particularly fuel tanks (unless they're HUGE tanks or old, heavy metal ones), anchor & warp, cabling/rigging. The wholly unverified estimates of mine for my 5.4 total up in the same vicinity with the same equipment, fuel tanks @ 2 x 6.5 US gallons. FYI, 13 US gallons of fuel weigh ~36 kg. I estimate my 4 cylinder Mercury ~300 lb or 135 kg, which may be a tad high.
Old 20 January 2006, 00:58   #43

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Hi Ollyit,

I think thats a little over. Taking out the people I'd say your probably 100 kg over. That said my sr4 has plenty of power and acceleration to keep me in front of following seas and to maneuver well even with 2 people. I carry up to 19 gallons of fuel. My boat has all aluminum or SS seating (ALU console, ALU podseat, SS bench seat). Its probably closer to the weight you've quoted for yours. The only times I feel a bit vulnerable is when it starts whitecapping on the return trips in the afternoon ( following seas slightly to starboard ). I think the worst return I've been in was a high period wind chop seas with 15 knot winds. I try not to be out when the winds are any higher than 10. I think the boat could handle more but I'm not one to test it. I have yet to need the elephant trunks so I must be well within the comfort zone of the boat. When we took the 5.4 out it really felt like a totally different boat. Everything smoothed out a bunch. I've yet to take out of the harbor though. I'll keep you posted when that time comes.