Old 18 January 2005, 16:02   #21

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
I'm all for the double console except in rough conditions and you need to get up to the bow.

The problem generally.....(I'm not saying this is so on the bigger ribs) is that because of the width of the console there is either no foot room to get past the console, or very little meaning you have to balance on the tubes.
If you have single POD seats with wide back rests (which I do) this gives you the same problem going astern !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seats.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10092  
Old 18 January 2005, 18:07   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
I’m all for the double console except in rough conditions and you need to get up to the bow.
The problem generally..... ....balance on the tubes.

... try doing that in 2-3ft waves .... ....when the waves are hitting you beam on.

Another plus is when your mooring up on your own it makes jumping on and off from the helm position much easier.
A good solution for all this (IMHO, of course) is to have your A frame over the consol. It also gives a good hand hold for embarking/disembarking to either the front or the rear, it provides a good hold for moving past the consol, it puts your nav lights forward of you so they don’t illuminate the boat/consol at night and ruin your night eyes, the nav lights can be mounted more legally, if you use a radar it is less likely to fry your brain, if the need arises you can mount some degree of shelter from it, it can be used as part of a very strong screen mounting, as the only person on board you can very easily clip a mooring line from it onto a ladder or a cleat..... There are lots of good reasons. I’m sure you get my drift.

Before anyone suggests it doesn’t look so cool.....pish to that.

A centrally mounted throttle is a no-no for me. Too much risk of accidental activation.
Old 18 January 2005, 19:33   #23

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
A centrally mounted throttle is a no-no for me. Too much risk of accidental activation.
It depends what you are gonna use the boat for!. I think it's essential when you are training newbies e it's no fun standing alongside the console on a boat trying to hang on to thin air. Even if the boat isn't going to be used for training you need access to the throttle when other family members might be allowed a spin
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2005, 19:51   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Single or double jockeys?

Quote:
I now wish I'd had four singles rather than a double. The reason is that if you have three people on board then either perched at the front or back of a double on your own is very hard to hold onto if your flooring it through a bit of rough stuff.

For me, I needed deck space so the space saved by the double pods was worth it, but if I was purely cruising then I'd have to go single pods. In fact in a few years time I may change the doubles for singles anyway.....but need to re-coup some pennies first!
Why not go for double jockeys with a centre back rest in addition to the rear back rest and a forward handle - space is saved over two singles and there is plenty for everyone to hold onto.
Old 18 January 2005, 22:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
It depends what you are gonna use the boat for!. I think it's essential when you are training newbies...

Stu, why not go for a twin throttle setup, a bit like dual controls on a car?
Old 19 January 2005, 07:41   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
A side mounted throttle is a no-no for me. Too much risk of accidental activation (from someone moving past the console) Like Stu, I also like the ability to control the boat speed from the passenger seat.
Old 19 January 2005, 07:45   #27
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I'm all for the double console except in rough conditions and you need to get up to the bow.
So long as you have some decent grab handles this shouldn't be a major problem. I am slightly taller than average though, which probably makes it easier for me!
Quote:
Another plus is when your mooring up on your own it makes jumping on and off from the helm position much easier.
You shouldn't be jumping anywhere! Once you have come alongside, you shouldn't need to go forward of the console to get ashore.

John
Old 19 January 2005, 08:44   #28

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
Why not go for double jockeys with a centre back rest in addition to the rear back rest and a forward handle - space is saved over two singles and there is plenty for everyone to hold onto.
And just how are you proposing I open my seats for storage?!

I've been racking my brains on this one for a few days now trying to think of a pretty way of acheiving this and the best I can come up with is detachable center back rests that clip in (like tent poles fit together).

Anbody have any idea who might be able to make these and the brackets up for me!?
Old 19 January 2005, 09:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
So long as you have some decent grab handles this shouldn't be a major problem. I am slightly taller than average though, which probably makes it easier for me! You shouldn't be jumping anywhere! Once you have come alongside, you shouldn't need to go forward of the console to get ashore.

John
1.) John your obviously a gazzelle!
2.) I like jumping it makes me look like I know what I'm doing with a tad of the dare devil instinct!
3.) I have an "U" shaped mooring so can quite happily go off the front! (ha ha)

Honestly....I've owned too many hard boats where jumping off early to fend off in a swell even with big fenders can still cause a bump or two, or even take the strake off!

Now that I have one big fender with an outboard on the back it's sooo much easier!
Old 19 January 2005, 09:44   #30
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Hatches . . .
Quote:
1.) John your obviously a gazzelle!
Yeah, people often say that about me!

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hatches.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	10105  
Old 19 January 2005, 09:57   #31

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Quote:
Simple ...

You don't have the seats hinged but have them clipped front and back then Slide them.

Think Scorpion have them like that, Brians Cyanide I am sure the seat unclips then slides

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2005, 10:08   #32

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
You're quite right, Martin. The seat 'pad' fits onto the grp seat 'box' and is opened by undoing a strap that fits over the seat, lifting the 'pad' by approx. an inch and then sliding it back. Works very well!

(BTW I also like our centre mounted throttle and in the 18 months we've had the boat it's never been 'knocked accidentally' by the passenger. It does mean the passenger can take control very easily if necessary.)

And, yeah, I know, everyone thinks their own set-up is best but Richard spent 2 years trying different makes/models/set-ups and drew up a 'wish list' before purchasing. Luckily for us, 'Blue Ice' ticked just about every box!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2005, 10:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstacey
Simple ...

You don't have the seats hinged but have them clipped front and back then Slide them.

Think Scorpion have them like that, Brians Cyanide I am sure the seat unclips then slides
I like the cut of your gib young man!

Why the bl**dy 'ell didn't I think of that!

Top idea!!!!

I've just spent an hour looking for "pipe clips".....which, when you initially don't know the name of something it can prove very difficult to locate!
Old 19 January 2005, 10:45   #34

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Ribtec have another possible solution. I saw it at the LBS but got no pictures of it. Basically the base of the jockey seat is fixed to the console in the usual manner, but is of slightly larger diameter tubing. Then the backrest slides into this tubing and fits into it. The pictures below give an idea.

I want to do the same thing with mine as the double jockeys are very long so give plenty of room to do this. Does anybody have any better pics of these backrests as I'm thinking of getting the guys at Barnet to make me up something like these to match my other backrests.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0053.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	10106   Click image for larger version

Name:	3096101_12.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	10107   Click image for larger version

Name:	2953071_11.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	10108  
Old 19 January 2005, 10:50   #35

As regards deck layout. I'm quite happy with my single console layout as the single console is bigger than most single versions out there but still leaves me with room to get up to the bow easily when mooring up. It also has space to upgrade to a surface mount throttle if I want.

It all comes down to what the RIB is used for and which electronics you will be fitting IMHO.

Another thing to consider when laying out is weight distribution? For example my fuel tank (in console) and seating are quite far forward in the rib which helps keep the bow down when heading into heavy seas. Obviously this will depend on the size of your RIB though??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	10109  
Old 19 January 2005, 11:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
A side mounted throttle is a no-no for me. Too much risk of accidental activation (from someone moving past the console) Like Stu, I also like the ability to control the boat speed from the passenger seat.
An there was me thinkin' he's a svelte fella.

Actually, my concern stems from me being an arse and accidentally pushing a centre mounted throttle to full with my jacket sleeve. Embarrassing and very luck no one fell backward or overboard. Been wary of it ever since.
Old 19 January 2005, 12:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Ribtec have another possible solution. I saw it at the LBS but got no pictures of it. Basically the base of the jockey seat is fixed to the console in the usual manner, but is of slightly larger diameter tubing. Then the backrest slides into this tubing and fits into it. The pictures below give an idea.

I want to do the same thing with mine as the double jockeys are very long so give plenty of room to do this. Does anybody have any better pics of these backrests as I'm thinking of getting the guys at Barnet to make me up something like these to match my other backrests.
That's exactly what I was thinking of except I was just gonna use pipe clips and have a mate weld a plate on the bottom of each bottom side clip so that when it slid down it didn't fall out the bottom if you know what I mean?!?!

I've just sent an email to Laurence asking for a price on two backrests so will mention (if you don't mind) your cunning plan and see if he can do anything.

Old 19 January 2005, 13:33   #38

Yep I've just emailed him also. They'll surely make up four of them!!
Old 19 January 2005, 13:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Yep I've just emailed him also. They'll surely make up four of them!!
You would hope!

I also asked him (as a backup) if he could do the back rests in plain tube without the fixings on and then I can get a local company to make up the bases........but here's hoping LL can do the biz!