Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 November 2010, 09:24   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Cranes

Does anyone have any experience with cranes aboard ribs? I'm thinking of larger craft fitted with small knuckle cranes like those made by Maxilift. I was wondering how these affected handling when underway and when loading equipment aboard.
__________________

__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 09:34   #2
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
What sort of weight/reach are you thinking? I'm trying to guess what you're plotting to do here but nothing springs to mind!

Big rib down to the estuaries then crane the jetski in for the shallow bit?!
__________________

__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 12:28   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
What sort of weight/reach are you thinking? I'm trying to guess what you're plotting to do here but nothing springs to mind!

Big rib down to the estuaries then crane the jetski in for the shallow bit?!
That's it in a nutshell. Jetskiing to France, even when supported by a rib, would be something you'd do only on the calmest of days but if I got a bigger boat (e.g., a Ribcraft 10.5 or 12m) with a crane and a cradle then the ski could go in the boat and I could unload it in Granville and then Bob's your uncle - more power and more glory.

A friend of mine came around this afternoon to deliver some firewood and his truck had a Maxilift crane that could lift over a tonne but which was really small and only weighed 350kg itself. Posh jet skis weigh about 480kg so obviously you'd need a big rib. Santa, are you reading this??
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 12:36   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,948
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
That's it in a nutshell. Jetskiing to France, even when supported by a rib, would be something you'd do only on the calmest of days but if I got a bigger boat (e.g., a Ribcraft 10.5 or 12m) with a crane and a cradle then the ski could go in the boat and I could unload it in Granville and then Bob's your uncle - more power and more glory.

A friend of mine came around this afternoon to deliver some firewood and his truck had a Maxilift crane that could lift over a tonne but which was really small and only weighed 350kg itself. Posh jet skis weigh about 480kg so obviously you'd need a big rib. Santa, are you reading this??
No need, just get one of these (or an adaptation on the idea).

Essentially a large rib with an inboard but instead of a swim platform it has a cradle for a jetski

You could even fit it with jet propulsion so you could already get extremely close and then just reverse the jetski off the back

I remember reading the article in rib int a few months back

http://www.ribmagazine.com/site/inde...=997&Itemid=84
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 12:39   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Didn't Richard Whatshisname have a crane on board his Aluminium rib/boat/thing with the 4 outboards to load and unload his quads and motorbikes when he took them from Jersey to France. Perhaps he'd be able to offer some advice.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 12:59   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Didn't Richard Whatshisname have a crane on board his Aluminium rib/boat/thing with the 4 outboards to load and unload his quads and motorbikes when he took them from Jersey to France. Perhaps he'd be able to offer some advice.
Yes he did; where is he now by the way? I haven't seen his boat for ages. The idea would be that the jet ski cradle would bolt to the deck and so be removable allowing me to crane a motorbike onboard when need be. All this will be taking place after I win the Christmas lottery of course. Incidently, has anyone ventured out today? It's blo*dy freezing. My poor sponsons will have shrivelled up in this weather.
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 15:44   #7
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
I've had similar thoughts but with taking my Zodiac on the big boat for inshore exploration. But rather than using a crane I was going along the lines of a ramp at the back. Got the idea from seawork where I took out the zodiac hurricane Mach II European demo boat. Just had a pair of runners that went over the engine box down to the swim platform with a winch to pull the sib up. Great idea, would work well for your application but needs to be an inboard powered mothership obviously.
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 16:01   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,948
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I've had similar thoughts but with taking my Zodiac on the big boat for inshore exploration. But rather than using a crane I was going along the lines of a ramp at the back. Got the idea from seawork where I took out the zodiac hurricane Mach II European demo boat. Just had a pair of runners that went over the engine box down to the swim platform with a winch to pull the sib up. Great idea, would work well for your application but needs to be an inboard powered mothership obviously.
Ok fine, just ignore me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Essentially a large rib with an inboard but instead of a swim platform it has a cradle for a jetski

You could even fit it with jet propulsion so you could already get extremely close and then just reverse the jetski off the back

I remember reading the article in rib int a few months back

http://www.ribmagazine.com/site/inde...=997&Itemid=84
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 16:11   #9
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Ok fine, just ignore me
Sorry I'm out using the iPhone, link was taking forever so I gave up!
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 16:13   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
I remember now - it was Gilpin. Link to pdf attached. No sign of a crane though but haven't read it all.

http://www.marinekits.com/downloads....n=press&id=156
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.