Old 27 September 2005, 01:17   #1

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Covers?

Hey i was wondering if anyone covers their entire boat while its moored up (in the water)? If not what do you cover? or do you not cover anything? heh
Old 27 September 2005, 02:21   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
it's a good idea to keep the boat covered/protected when not in use. intense sunlight, seagull crap etc, not too mention nosey buggers! I use a Tarpaulin, but you can get proper tailor made covers, they are not cheap tho'
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 05:29   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
For once your on the right side of the pond. The covers Bembridge do are made in the USA. Cost in the UK is £165, heavy duty material which lasts well. Check out some of the US chandlers, or for the UK:

http://www.bembridgeoutboards.co.uk/

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0020.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	14638  
Old 27 September 2005, 20:28   #4

How about like everyday use in the summer? would it be a good idea to stil get one of these overall boat covers? How easy is it to put on while its floating?
Old 27 September 2005, 20:34   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
How about like everyday use in the summer? would it be a good idea to stil get one of these overall boat covers? How easy is it to put on while its floating?
how good a swimmer are you?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 20:38   #6

Length: no boat
I use a lightweight cover for summer and folded, you can carry it under your arm, which is more than you can say for the heavyweight version! Yes, you can, with practice put it on in the water after a few scary moments. I've given up heavyweight covers because I store it in a barn in winter with the lightweight cover on and that's good enough. It is waterproof, breathable and is UV treated. Worth every penny.
Old 28 September 2005, 01:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm
how good a swimmer are you?

Without going in the icy cold waters of the U.S.
Old 28 September 2005, 02:26   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Remember summer is when you need covers the most - it's the UV that does the damage!!!
Old 28 September 2005, 08:04   #9

Quote:
the cover is quite "baggy" to fit lots of different boat shapes but the elastic cord in the hem fits nicely under the rubbing stake. A couple of ties hold it as well just in case. Takes about 5 minutes to fit single handed on the water.

Pete
Old 28 September 2005, 17:30   #10

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Danger Donut
Make: 6.0 rib
Engine: Mariner F60efi
rib covers

Quote:
Hey i was wondering if anyone covers their entire boat while its moored up (in the water)? If not what do you cover? or do you not cover anything? heh
We import the rib covers from s/america cut to fit an average production rib shape, and have them cut locally to fit the a-frames, they seem to last about four years, water and u/v proof, but soft canvas type material so no scratching, we have an extra heavy elastic cord sewn into the skirt to help pull them under the tube bit of a fight to get them on in the water, but they should stay on in sheltered moorings, they have eyelets sewn in for under hull straps. we have covers to fit 4.8-7.2 ribs £145-£165 cuting for A frames £75.
Old 28 September 2005, 18:39   #11

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson
We import the rib covers from s/america cut to fit an average production rib shape, and have them cut locally to fit the a-frames, they seem to last about four years, water and u/v proof, but soft canvas type material so no scratching, we have an extra heavy elastic cord sewn into the skirt to help pull them under the tube bit of a fight to get them on in the water, but they should stay on in sheltered moorings, they have eyelets sewn in for under hull straps. we have covers to fit 4.8-7.2 ribs £145-£165 cuting for A frames £75.
praise be,
As i orderd one from jim, this morning for my vipermax fingers crossed it will fit
sure it will, very reasonably priced i thought, just need discount for ribnet members me thinks
Old 28 September 2005, 19:54   #12

Pete7 how do i order those covers? i went to the site but it has no way of ordering..at least i dont think so And will the standard cover fit either around of over an A-frame? And, heh, are overal boat covers better than just console covers and such?
Old 28 September 2005, 20:01   #13

I think the A frame bit is separate? Anyway, many users just have the console/seating covers for summer use and I suppose this helps make the bar that little bit nearer (faster) at the end of a busy day. But i would argue that a full lightweight cover is not only quicker, but protects everything against bird bombs, UV, rain, fading, general dirt etc. Another plus is that no-one ever ties up next to it! (can't find the cleats; can't clamber over it!)
Old 28 September 2005, 20:31   #14

all i was asked to do .was measure from bow where tube joins to the hull.and up and over tube, through centre of boat to A-frame @ engine cowling height, if double A-frame then distance between both uprights and width so they can cut and add in zipper section easy enougth to be honest,
Old 28 September 2005, 20:34   #15

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
praise be,
As i orderd one from jim, this morning for my vipermax fingers crossed it will fit
sure it will, very reasonably priced i thought, just need discount for ribnet members me thinks
If it does Nuge. Let me know how much and I'll send him a cheque inc. P&P.
Old 28 September 2005, 20:44   #16

Quote:
all i was asked to do .was measure from bow where tube joins to the hull.and up and over tube, through centre of boat to A-frame @ engine cowling height, if double A-frame then distance between both uprights and width so they can cut and add in zipper section easy enougth to be honest,

Not console/screen height? Or was the measurement over the screen enough?
Old 28 September 2005, 21:35   #17

Quote:
Pete7 how do i order those covers?
if your boat is built in the UK and shipped out why not ask Ribcraft to put one in the boat when they ship it, or send Jim an e mail asking him about shipping one over.

Quote:
And will the standard cover fit either around of over an A-frame? And, heh, are overal boat covers better than just console covers and such?
Currently mine stretches around the A frame but I intend to have a seem mistress alter it when the boat comes out of the water so there are two slits for the A frame and a caribiner to connect the elastic cord back up again. Sunshine is the thing you have to keep off tubes but it does help stop rain from filling up the boat whilst its on the water. For £165 I recon its good value. Sail makers want £500 for a tailor made cover over here.

Pete
Old 29 September 2005, 01:03   #18

boats getting built in the U.S. anyone have any idea on how much it would cost to ship it here? Im still wondering why people buy $500 console covers when they can just get a full boat cover. Is there something im missing?
Old 29 September 2005, 05:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Not console/screen height? Or was the measurement over the screen enough?
as i said just measure straight over the bow and centre of console etc to top of engine cowling , thats what jim asked of me any roads , let you know next week once i receive it ,
Old 29 September 2005, 10:35   #20

Quote:
as i said just measure straight over the bow and centre of console etc to top of engine cowling , thats what jim asked of me any roads , let you know next week once i receive it ,
Hmmm, that'll give you a straight line measurement not the height of console and screen above tube. Still, I'm sure y'all know what's going on. Let me know what it's like 'cos I'm in the market for a new cover