Old 06 May 2013, 07:08   #21

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
That Mayday doesn't sound as bad as the Pan-Pan I responded to yesterday in Cardiff Bay.

A boat issued a Pan-Pan due to an engine failure. I radioed asking for their exact position so I could assist - the response "We drifted alongside a pontoon and are now tied up alongside"

I regularly do radio checks with Swansea Coastguard, and they don't seem to mind as long as it's short & sweet.

Old 06 May 2013, 14:33   #22
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It wouldn't be terribly unusual for a small RIB to simply not have an anchor and 20m of warp. So no engine and no anchor and a blowing into a shipping channel suddenly changes your situation...

You're still a plank though
Definitley a plank - but I would expect a Sailing Club RIB to have the minimum safety kit, which (from memory) includes an anchor.

But it appears that they had a radio......

Old 06 May 2013, 15:30   #23
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
But it appears that they had a radio......
Yes, it will have been for talking to the shore - Why not have forgotten their anchor? - they patently had forgotten their training...

BTW, I've seen a few "safety boats" that had very little safe about them
Old 06 May 2013, 15:40   #24

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilternskipper View Post
Was in Solent yesterday and HMC made the point of advising all radio checks to be made on Ch 67

Agree daft not to radio check
Yep, been out all weekend and the CG would complete the radio check and then advise to use 67 in the future during the summer season
Old 06 May 2013, 16:54   #25

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
Up here in the wild north there is not as much radio traffic. The CG don't monitor ch67. When leaving the marina I always hail them on 16 stating routine traffic, they then direct me to 67.
I then give details for the day, no of persons on board, planned activities (dives and location) then our planned time of return. As I am conversing with them I guess you can also call this a radio check as well.
Old 07 May 2013, 09:27   #26

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
The request for radio checks were coming in regularly on Channel 16 and as mentioned above were then asked to use 67 for non emergency traffic. Most of them came in straight on the back of another,
I was not suggesting radio checks were time wasting, just using the emergency frequency for everyday traffic.

It seems ridiculous that the Safety Boat was so inept as to not either carry or think to use an anchor before raising a Mayday.
Old 07 May 2013, 10:21   #27

Town: Brighton Michigan
Boat name: AWOL
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Automated radio check

We like using Sea tows automated radio check service, Ask for radio check on proper channel and the system replays your transmission letting you her how you sound. Very cool.
Old 07 May 2013, 10:53   #28

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
We like using Sea tows automated radio check service, Ask for radio check on proper channel and the system replays your transmission letting you her how you sound. Very cool.
That sounds like an excellent system!
Old 07 May 2013, 12:49   #29

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I was always taught that:

Mayday is used when life and/or property were in grave peril

Pan-Pan is used when a problem exists that may be hazardous, but is not as time-sensitive as a Mayday

A request for assistance is used when a problem exists, but no immediate danger is imminent.

Not sure how a broken down engine would qualify as a Mayday call, unless they were on the rocks or something.

jky

And, as an aside, on this side of the Pond, radio checks are supposed to carried out on something other than channel 16 (though to be fair, they rarely are. CG will chastise the offender if they feel like it.)
Old 07 May 2013, 17:17   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Never trust a volunteer

[QUOTE=Poly;534441
I think that's a bit harsh the advice here is always to call them early, never to worry about "overstating" a Mayday and let them do exactly what they did and downgrade it. Yes the club should have people who have been properly trained on their boats including the procedure to follow in the even of a breakdown. Sadly, its not uncommon for Sailing Club Rescue boats to be manned by relatively inexperienced well meaning people - who perhaps did a PB2 5 yrs ago and go out one day a year. Not all PB instructors are created equal and thus some will have spend less time on the steps to take on the engine conking out than others.

Personally I'd much rather they over reacted and got some quick advice on anchoring than washed up on shore or in the path of a ship whilst the kiddies were in trouble. If there were lots of inexperienced youngsters I would have hoped the club at least had a 'back up plan' in place - but I can see the cause for concern (although I wouldn't have called MayDay myself) - and how if its the first time you've ever been on a boat with a dead engine and you are supposed to be 'looking after' X dinghies that you follow the MayDay procedure and read the words printed above the radio...

QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree with you more. I find no justification whatsoever for tolerating bad or inept practice. These monkees should have had somebody who was on the case supervising them until they were competent to drive the boat, fix it and drive the radio. No matter how many years that may take!.

You say that its sadly not uncommon for clubs rescue boats to be manned by relatively inexperienced but well meaning people Surely that is a deriliction of any legal resposibilty and duty of care that the club has to it's members. I'm presuming this doesn't happen in RYA affiliated sailing clubs

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote