Old 05 May 2013, 22:54   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Coastguard time wasters

Whilst performing some routine maintenance on Hayling Rescues RIB this morning, I was listening to various VHF channels that Frank monitors {He has 3 sets scanning different frequencies). In a 1 hour period, there must have been 5 or 6 requests to the Coastguard for a radio check and then a Mayday from a SSC Rib whose engine had cut out. The Coastguard went through the usual procedures before discovering that it was a sailing club rescue boat who had broken down. they apparently hadn't considered anchoring, simply sent a Mayday. As you can imagine the Coastguard was not best impressed, downgraded the call and despatched a boat out and sent someone to talk to the club regarding operational procedures.
Old 05 May 2013, 22:56   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Not sure you could call a radio check a waste of time. Better to know it actually transmits.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2013, 22:59   #3

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
A radio check is a requirement, how can it be a waste of time? It is necessary.
Old 05 May 2013, 23:02   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
In a 1 hour period, there must have been 5 or 6 requests to the Coastguard for a radio check
Surely this is their job?
Old 05 May 2013, 23:03   #5
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not sure you could call a radio check a waste of time. Better to know it actually transmits.
official procedure for radio check is to ask another boat in the marina or use your handheld....

I know might not be always possible....

S.
Old 05 May 2013, 23:05   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
RR Were the radio checks on the CG's backchannel or on the hailing (16) channel ? Out of interest did antone waste the CGs time by logging a passage plan. The Mayday call was stupid and the sailing club should be fined for having ill trained and unsupervised monkees on the Radio and the boat for that matter.

SPR How do you get an official Radio check if you have launched from a slipway?

What kind of range would you have your portable away from you boat to test your TX/RX I would have though f both units are on the same vessel it not going to highlight any antenna problems ?

When you say official is that like OFCOM official Ive not heard of this before but I did get my ticket a while ago and things change
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2013, 23:06   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
official procedure for radio check is to ask another boat in the marina or use your handheld....
Not in Ireland - radio checks go to the CG - SOP. And to ask another boat in the marina for a VHF check is a total waste of time - it's beside you *scratches head*
Old 05 May 2013, 23:06   #8

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Surely this is their job?
How long does a radiocheck take?

They want you to make contact. It's invited, to not radiocheck is plain daft and there cannot be any argument against it.

Old 05 May 2013, 23:24   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

S.

Trouble is, you need to be far enough away that you're not picking up/receiving via a broken bit of co-ax.

It'll always be the coastguard for me.I know if I get a radio check from the coastguard, I can call mayday and they'll hear me.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2013, 08:01   #10

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:

S.
certainly not what i was taught. it was suggested however that this may be an option if it was deemed that the coastguard were having a particularly busy day, but direct to coastguard was the procedure.
Old 06 May 2013, 08:06   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
You can also use channel 67 for non emergency checks with Coastguard on The Solent
Old 06 May 2013, 08:12   #12

Town: Cirencester
Boat name: Lightning
Make: Solent
Engine: Evenrude 90
Was in Solent yesterday and HMC made the point of advising all radio checks to be made on Ch 67

Agree daft not to radio check
Old 06 May 2013, 08:45   #13

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
You can also use channel 67 for non emergency checks with Coastguard on The Solent
Thank you Ian, you beat me to it..

Routine traffic in the Solent area is to be made on 67

I agree with the OP though, i have heard people time and time again call up Solent CG for a radio check (on 16) whilst they are working an incident...very frustrating

My logic is that if i'm not receiving much on the VHF then there is probably an issue with my set. If however i'm picking up traffic from 15 miles away then unless i suspect the hand mic is damaged, i tend to trust that all is working OK. I always carry a portable anyway as a backup.

Simon
Old 06 May 2013, 08:56   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
When appropriate, do use the DSC test call facility (if you have it) as another good check, esp in relation to the Red Button. Seemingly, up here it's helpful to the CG too, as from chatting to them not many people use DSC, so it's a good check at their end too.

I must admit I like the reassurance from giving a DSC initiated passage plan, as that in itself is a good radio check. BUT, there's much less radio traffic up here.

Cheers

Steve
Old 06 May 2013, 09:02   #15

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
only Solent has the advantage of direct calling on a working channel.
Recommendation is that you get a radio check from another vessel but in the real world how likely is that to happen esp if you are "billy no mates", and it is "billy" who is probably likely to get into trouble so it would be good for him to have actually have talked to a coastguard in a non panic situation.
Using your hand held??? how is that gonna help for a worthwhile check?
In the real world a lot depends on the day and location. There are days when the CG is run off its feet and it would be impolite to say the least to bother them. On the other hand there are many, many days and times, esp away from the south coast (yes there are boats in places other than the Solent), when they are very quiet. I will then use the CG for a good worthwhile radio check if I feel I need one. I pay m'tax so I'll have m'money's worth thanks.
The only disadvantage for me was that as a member of the local coastguard rescue team for 30years, and a "CG Afloat" when that scheme was running many years ago, a radio check did result on various occasions of "ah Dave while you're on can you just go and look at .........." and on one occasion the MRSC called us by voice to ask if they could check their dsc with us as they had doubts about a particular aerial site, "we've already got your mmsi off the database bud!"
Old 06 May 2013, 09:04   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
In a 1 hour period, there must have been 5 or 6 requests to the Coastguard for a radio check.
I believe that is not uncommon on the south coast and if they politely answer them then they will continue to get the same. If they don't want them they should say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
The Mayday call was stupid and the sailing club should be fined for having ill trained and unsupervised monkees on the Radio and the boat for that matter.
I think that's a bit harsh the advice here is always to call them early, never to worry about "overstating" a Mayday and let them do exactly what they did and downgrade it. Yes the club should have people who have been properly trained on their boats including the procedure to follow in the even of a breakdown. Sadly, its not uncommon for Sailing Club Rescue boats to be manned by relatively inexperienced well meaning people - who perhaps did a PB2 5 yrs ago and go out one day a year. Not all PB instructors are created equal and thus some will have spend less time on the steps to take on the engine conking out than others.

Personally I'd much rather they over reacted and got some quick advice on anchoring than washed up on shore or in the path of a ship whilst the kiddies were in trouble. If there were lots of inexperienced youngsters I would have hoped the club at least had a 'back up plan' in place - but I can see the cause for concern (although I wouldn't have called MayDay myself) - and how if its the first time you've ever been on a boat with a dead engine and you are supposed to be 'looking after' X dinghies that you follow the MayDay procedure and read the words printed above the radio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockraider
As you can imagine the Coastguard was not best impressed, downgraded the call and despatched a boat out and sent someone to talk to the club regarding operational procedures.
They said that on the open radio? I've never heard them be anything but professional even when dealing with spectacular stupidity. Perhaps that conversation took place "internally" on Ch0? You do realise that all VHF transmissions are supposed to be treated as confidential. Its a fear of "mocking" from others listening in which puts people off calling for help until it is too late.

I hope the Coasties who visited were a little more tactful and diplomatic than you suggest otherwise the club will probably issue a dictat that no one is allowed to call the CG without first asking the commodore's permission!
Old 06 May 2013, 09:21   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Anyone still stick to the old silent minuites code nowadays on vhf , where everyone maintains a total radio silence on the hour & every quarter for 3 mins or so so that any weak maydays or the like can get through & be heard ,

When we had a local -local coastguard station they would often welcome a radio check unless they were busy as it would give an indication that their own radio was working correctly ,
Mind I am going back a few years .

problem with doing a general radio check is that unless the receiving station is polite you can get the( F,,, em )syndrome as I have heard many times especially in certain harbours of marinas .
(Some polite yachtie asks for a check & everyone that hears him just ignores .)
Old 06 May 2013, 10:32   #18
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Whilst performing some routine maintenance on Hayling Rescues RIB this morning, I was listening to various VHF channels that Frank monitors {He has 3 sets scanning different frequencies). In a 1 hour period, there must have been 5 or 6 requests to the Coastguard for a radio check and then a Mayday from a SSC Rib whose engine had cut out. The Coastguard went through the usual procedures before discovering that it was a sailing club rescue boat who had broken down. they apparently hadn't considered anchoring, simply sent a Mayday. As you can imagine the Coastguard was not best impressed, downgraded the call and despatched a boat out and sent someone to talk to the club regarding operational procedures.
Assuming the rescue boat wasn't in any shiping lane or drifting onto rocks, then I agree m day was uncalled for, its amazing how some forget how important the anchore is.
Old 06 May 2013, 10:37   #19

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Anyone still stick to the old silent minuites code nowadays on vhf , where everyone maintains a total radio silence on the hour & every quarter for 3 mins or so so that any weak maydays or the like can get through & be heard ,

This was for MF sets on the 2182khz and 500khz frequency's...

Used to be commercial shipping would listen out but GMDSS has killed all that now.

The clocks with the sectors marked on them are still quite sought after though.....although i susspect many will not understand what the sectors represent.

Simon
Old 06 May 2013, 10:38   #20
RIBnet Supporter

It wouldn't be terribly unusual for a small RIB to simply not have an anchor and 20m of warp. So no engine and no anchor and a blowing into a shipping channel suddenly changes your situation...

You're still a plank though