Old 06 March 2016, 21:28   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Cleaning down afterwards...

After been out on the rib we wash the hull, trailer, brakes and the outboard with the yards hose but the water hose pressure isn,t great. Ive spotted a jabsco 12v pump that i was thinking i could temporarily put in line and run it off the car battery.It s self priming sucks 4amps and its just to increase the water pressure sufficintly to give the boat a decent wash/flush. I'm not looking to power hose the boat down. Thoughts? https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pu...olled-pump.htm
Ta Nik
Old 06 March 2016, 21:58   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A dive club known to me habitually took their boats to a filling station with a "power wash" and gave their rigs a soap and spray. It was the full works and cost a couple of quid a go.

Personally, I don't think it makes much difference in the long run but the effort to wash them is minimal so why not?
Old 06 March 2016, 22:13   #3
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Nothing wrong with a good wash and wax every once in a while!!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24303_10151427606151162_1841821392_n.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	111116  
Old 06 March 2016, 22:17   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Have you got mains power available?
Old 07 March 2016, 11:03   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A dive club known to me habitually took their boats to a filling station with a "power wash" and gave their rigs a soap and spray. It was the full works and cost a couple of quid a go.
It's what I do every time we go out, have worked out where they are for each of teh journey options.

Flushing the engine is a bit more tricky though as most don't have taps

As to the OP - I've no idea if the extra cost will be worth it, for less you can get a B&Q power washer if you have electric available?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2016, 12:38   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I think a good wash down of Boat engine and Trailer with fresh water ...or even better a Powerash is an essential part of the maintenance routine,the habit also gives you time for a close visual inspection of the component parts.

Personally I wash with a Carwash shampoo,with a little "Salt off" thrown in,then a good stiff rinse!
With a decent power washer you get in all nooks and crannies around the engine saddle/hydraulics ect,as well as the trailer Hubs..especially if you a flushing kit fitted.
I have seen the difference it makes when it is NOT done on a regular basis...and the results are not pretty!
...not to mention costly to put right...and potentially dangerous in the long run.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2016, 16:59   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
On getting her home, I give her a good rinsing with fresh water, trailer also and flush hubs. The tubes get a towel dry, rather than drip dry.
I personally wouldn't attack it regularly with a pressure washer or detergent. Imv, pressure washers force water in places where water wouldn't otherwise get. Detergents break down and remove protectorants and can leave surfaces vulnerable to oxidisation.
Old 07 March 2016, 17:14   #8

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by matata View Post
After been out on the rib we wash the hull, trailer, brakes and the outboard with the yards hose but the water hose pressure isn,t great. Ive spotted a jabsco 12v pump that i was thinking i could temporarily put in line and run it off the car battery.It s self priming sucks 4amps and its just to increase the water pressure sufficintly to give the boat a decent wash/flush. I'm not looking to power hose the boat down. Thoughts? https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pu...olled-pump.htm

Ta Nik

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1457374472.616514.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	111132every birthday
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2016, 17:36   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
On getting her home, I give her a good rinsing with fresh water, trailer also and flush hubs. The tubes get a towel dry, rather than drip dry.
I personally wouldn't attack it regularly with a pressure washer or detergent. Imv, pressure washers force water in places where water wouldn't otherwise get. Detergents break down and remove protectorants and can leave surfaces vulnerable to oxidisation.
Obviously common sense has to used in all processes involving all power tools
Salt residue is the enemy misted fresh water is the Sea Boaters friend
I seem to remember you having corrosion issues of the leg of your engine??

I have a large Gas powered Space heater which I sometimes use to aid drying.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2016, 21:29   #10

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Anybody else wash down with a hot pressure washer or simply just hot water ? , seems to me to make good sense to me especially on the trailer as the hot will dissolve the salt ,or maybe there are negatives of this procedure ?
Old 08 March 2016, 03:57   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Anybody else wash down with a hot pressure washer or simply just hot water ? , seems to me to make good sense to me especially on the trailer as the hot will dissolve the salt ,or maybe there are negatives of this procedure ?
I use a Diesel fired Karcher to wash down the boat & trailer. Turn the temp down to 70deg, turn off the detergent & use carefully. I have a fan nozzle on the lance & use it all over the boat/trailer/tubes/console. Remove the plugs from the ends of the trailer box sections & chuck 'em in the bin, get the lance/hose into the sections & flush thoroughly. Do the brake back plates & stick the lance against the gap between back plate & drum & flush the inside of the drums. Current trailer has disc brakes so all the gubbins are accessible to wash, so much easier. I wash the tubes/console from a couple of metres away so they get a good gentle soaking in warm water. Takes about an hour all in all & gets done after everytime out. On the Etecs I remove the cowls & wash the powerheads with the hose pipe & give them a waft over with silicone spray, they are pristine. Not so sure about the Suzuki, but I still remove the cowl & rinse down inside the lower cowls. Any Suzuki owners out there? - tilt the engine fully & look at the bottom of the power head where the shift rod exits the block, there is an aluminium casting that forms part of the crankcase end, this seems susceptible to corrosion, make sure this gets rinsed off & sprayed.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2016, 07:16   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I use a Diesel fired Karcher to wash down the boat & trailer. Turn the temp down to 70deg, turn off the detergent & use carefully.........
Then pop into a 'large' barn at gas mark 5 for 4 hrs , remove foil after two hours to brown.

My outside taps run at 8 bar, I blast the crap out of the trailer, but trust more to water volume around the back end and leccy bits. I do wash down thoroughly with mild detergent during winterisation and dry out with a dehume. On coming out of hibernation, everything will be treated with protectorant.

How was the valley?
Old 08 March 2016, 07:21   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The valley was excellent as usual, murky for first couple of days, plenty of snow, then the sun came out👍
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote