Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 September 2012, 00:53   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Cheap Alternative Methods

I recently did up an old searider , "I want a pat on the back, yes, I'm not going to beat about the bush" anyway, whilst doing so I found a few cheap alternatives to paying out for expensive "made for the job" stuff. I was looking for this thread to be a compilation of things people have used as an alternative to expensive purpose made equipment and parts. ALSO PUT WHY THEY COULD BE BAD IDEAS. Obviously if your an insecure tarty bling head you wont want these old tat ideas on your boat, move along please, move along. If you want ideas , look at the old fishing boats, they just want the job done, bling free, but still effective.

Heres mine so far , not much but something to start it off.

1. Roofing coach bolts instead of expensive stainless steel. If there easy to access and can be changed easily, you can get 300 of them for 12. I used them to fix the consol to the deck, making sure the main fixings were going into the thicker wood part of the deck and resin'd in.

2. Make crab and shrimp pots out of a oil barrell from the chippy.

3. Make an anchor out of a piece of scaffold pole with two pieces of concrete reinforcing bar, each length bent round double , then threaded through the centre of the pole, then bend the two ends up to form the spikes.

4. Gas mains pipe as boat runners for aiding pulling the boat up the beach.

5. Tie a piece of 10lb fishing line to your toggle on your manual inflation lifejack and your boat in a big sea if you want it to become auto for a while !!! Hopefully never folks.
__________________

__________________
spareribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 05:04   #2
Member
 
HughN's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
Re 4). I believe it is not unknown for the gas board (or whatever they are called now) to come along and ask for their pipe back, their argument being that there are no legitimate means by which it can come into private ownership.
__________________

__________________
HughN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 05:13   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,582
RIBase
6, Save all those dried out carrots that you find hidden in the bottom of the veg drawer, grind them into a fine powder & mix with flour & water. Hey presto instant SR4 gel coat repair at a fraction of the cost of the proper stuff. Apply frequently.

7, Buy a Black Shadow? Not me! I just wear loads of the wifes' old tights & get her to wrap me in self adhesive pallet wrap... ooops wrong forum sorry
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 05:38   #4
Member
 
HughN's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

7, Buy a Black Shadow? Not me! I just wear loads of the wifes' old tights & get her to wrap me in self adhesive pallet wrap... ooops wrong forum sorry
(Nah, black self-amalgamating tape!)

8. Shock mitigation flooring too expensive? Save the foam parts of old flip-flops that get washed up on the beach and simply glue them to your shoes.

9. Got a 4m Searider but can't afford a microwave for it? Simply hold your preferred pastie in front of the radar of a passing fishing boat. Don't forget to keep turning it.

10. Got an SR4 but can't afford the full underwater lighting system for it? Tow some old fairy-lights from your transom - nobody will know except you!

11. A carefully dampened cornflake makes an excellent puncture repair.

12. Chartplotter too expensive? Cut out a page from an old RAC map and fix it to an up-turned margarine tub with some PVA glue. Voila!
__________________
HughN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 05:51   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,582
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN

(Nah, black self-amalgamating tape!)

8. Shock mitigation flooring too expensive? Save the foam parts of old flip-flops that get washed up on the beach and simply glue them to your shoes.

9. Got a 4m Searider but can't afford a microwave for it? Simply hold your preferred pastie in front of the radar of a passing fishing boat. Don't forget to keep turning it.

10. Got an SR4 but can't afford the full underwater lighting system for it? Tow some old fairy-lights from your transom - nobody will know except you!

11. A carefully dampened cornflake makes an excellent puncture repair.

12. Chartplotter too expensive? Cut out a page from an old RAC map and fix it to an up-turned margarine tub with some PVA glue. Voila!
I get the impression that you're not taking this seriously, any idiot would know that a damp cornflake wouldn't seal a puncture. You have to use Frosties, the sugar makes them stick.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 05:55   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
If you want ideas , look at the old fishing boats, they just want the job done, bling free, but still effective.
Old lawn tractor and Quad tyres would make cracking little RIB sized fenders and could be secured with "blue rope". You might want to reconsider the "tie the LJ toggle to the RIB" idea, no self-respecting fisherfolk would entertain that notion - they keep their lifejackets nice and safe in their berth so they know where to find them...

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 05:59   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
1. Roofing coach bolts instead of expensive stainless steel. If there easy to access and can be changed easily, you can get 300 of them for 12. I used them to fix the consol to the deck, making sure the main fixings were going into the thicker wood part of the deck and resin'd in.
My bold. I say no more! Oh but I can't resist... how many bolts did you need?

Quote:
2. Make crab and shrimp pots out of a oil barrell from the chippy.


Quote:
3. Make an anchor out of a piece of scaffold pole with two pieces of concrete reinforcing bar, each length bent round double , then threaded through the centre of the pole, then bend the two ends up to form the spikes.
You made me spit my coffee out! This is a crude grapnel. Grapnels are sh*t so this will be even sh*tter

If you can bend it easily you can unbend it easily - or the F6 blowing against you with the tide can!

Quote:
4. Gas mains pipe as boat runners for aiding pulling the boat up the beach.
You'd be better with water pipe. More water companies so you can always tell them you stole it from someone else! Plus there may be more chance of you legitimately buying water pipe if you were a builder...

Quote:
5. Tie a piece of 10lb fishing line to your toggle on your manual inflation lifejack and your boat in a big sea if you want it to become auto for a while !!! Hopefully never folks.
What pull is actually needed to pull the toggle? If you put 120lb on the line does it break before pulling the toggle?

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A WINDUP THREAD!
__________________
ShinyShoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 06:04   #8
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Some of the above might be wind-ups but this is genuine!

Used light aircraft tyres also make excellent "RIB sized" fenders - quite soft and squishy and about the right size, and usually replaced long before wires and things start sticking out of them, which possibly isn't the case for anything belonging to a farmer
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 08:44   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
My bold. I say no more! Oh but I can't resist... how many bolts did you need?





You made me spit my coffee out! This is a crude grapnel. Grapnels are sh*t so this will be even sh*tter

If you can bend it easily you can unbend it easily - or the F6 blowing against you with the tide can!


You'd be better with water pipe. More water companies so you can always tell them you stole it from someone else! Plus there may be more chance of you legitimately buying water pipe if you were a builder...


What pull is actually needed to pull the toggle? If you put 120lb on the line does it break before pulling the toggle?

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A WINDUP THREAD!
All these ideas are in use, and the anchors have been by proper sea goer's , i.e. fisherman for decades, as are the pots, they just get there boats out without the bullshit and expense, go and spend your money how you wish, I'm gonna spend mine wisely. This thread is deadly serious, it was mean to add good ideas to my shit ones. People use rope and hose instead of expensive handles.

I found this useful if 1 other person does all your know it all comments are worth it. YC's
__________________
spareribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 08:47   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
6, Save all those dried out carrots that you find hidden in the bottom of the veg drawer, grind them into a fine powder & mix with flour & water. Hey presto instant SR4 gel coat repair at a fraction of the cost of the proper stuff. Apply frequently.

7, Buy a Black Shadow? Not me! I just wear loads of the wifes' old tights & get her to wrap me in self adhesive pallet wrap... ooops wrong forum sorry
That Gel coat is "kin" brilliant dave, add cumin for some extra fish attractor built in , appently bass love it mate.
__________________

__________________
spareribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.