Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Just need the right spring....... 0.5 up to 13 psi

http://www.leafieldmarine.co.uk/Docs...ON%20CHART.pdf

Old 06 November 2007, 21:10   #12

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I believe all 5.05m Geminis are RIBS, not SIBS.

http://www.gemini-inflatables.com/in...es/default.asp

Old 07 November 2007, 18:40   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
This is the best way to avoid under or over inflation tubes: Mostly for traditional PVC & Hypalon dinghies, but the overall idea can be applied to Ribs: A lot cheaper option than to change costly valves and avoid hand labour fees to fit automatic pressure valves.

Under inflation: Poorly performance on water, excesive stress on seams and transom holder, premature wear to inside compartments internal cone.

Overinflation: Damage, bursted tubes, seams,

Tube Ribs: Inflate to 3.0 PSI in winter, same for summer, but recheck once on water and deflate to 3.0 if cruising in excesive sun.

Dinghy Tubes : Infalte to 3.5 PSI in winter, 3.0 PSI in summer, in shadow or early morning, check after 15 minutes once on water and deflate to 3.5 PSI if the reading is higher because of the excesive sun.

The general idea is to maintain all tubes working at the same pressure, this will give years of enjoyment and long life to your loved boat.

A photo, is better than one thousand words...

Locozodiac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Presure Gauge.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	31162  
Old 08 November 2007, 11:30   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Loco; Good operational advice, but you're missing the point, I think: The OP had a problem with tubes overpressurizing while sitting in the sun on the trailer.

Inflating accurately to 3 psi and allowing the boat to sit in the sun is a sure recipe for burst seams. My boat will, like Tomas's go from sagging to extremely firm in the span of morning shade to noonday sun.

To that end, my practice is to firm up tubes once the boat is splashed; and soften the tubes as immediately as possible when recovering onto the trailer.

When storing the boat (on the side of my house) tubes are deflated enough so they literally hang. During the summer, I still take a glance and make sure they stay deformed. (Summer temps where I am range from mid-60's at night to near- or just-over- hundred degree F.)

jky
Old 08 November 2007, 16:24   #15

Town: sydney
Make: gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 90
Thanks JKY will make sure I keep it semi deflated in future and wack it up when it goes on the water.

We have pretty similar temperature variance as So Cal here in Sydney so will have to keep my eye on it.

Will the boat have been damaged being over pressurised like that or does it generally just go on the justed seam?
Old 08 November 2007, 16:56   #16

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Zodiac. Avon, Quicksilver, Sea Rider just to name some boat builders recommends working presures of 3 to 3.5 PSI with the boat on the water, if you are leaving it outside on a trailer in plain summer heat you should deflate the tubes accordingly to match your local heat and not to pass these readings; deflate & use a cover. When not in use, you should shade you boat, under a roof, garage, etc.

There are boaters all over the world with different city temperatures, our summer heat parameters cannot be applied to other countries and vice verse as a perfect universal rule. If you have daily extreme temperatures changes, then you have a real problem. Remember, sun is the worst enemy for tubes.

Anyway, the posted thread was to promote the use of presure gauges and their correct usage, seems nobody is using them or cares about.
Old 09 November 2007, 11:42   #17

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas695 View Post
We have pretty similar temperature variance as So Cal here in Sydney so will have to keep my eye on it.

Will the boat have been damaged being over pressurised like that or does it generally just go on the justed seam?
Well, I'm in Northern California. Little cooler overall than SoCal. Usually.

Overpressurizing the tubes is generally not a good thing. It sort of depends on exact circumstances, but assuming all the pressures in all the chambers are relatively even, blowing one seam transfers the strain to the next chamber. You can sort of postulate what might happen then.

Loco; Didn't mean to criticize. As I said, your advice was good; just a tad off the mark. I use a Bravo 12 electric pump with a built-in adjustable shutoff. No idea how accurate it is, but it works well for me.

jky