Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 September 2002, 08:36   #1

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Boat Insurance, any recommendations ?

I need to check out RIB insurance as I may very well be a RIB owner this weekend.

Any views, e.g. what to keep a look out for e.t.c.

I did notice on one policy that had a questionnaire on the net that you could have UK coastal cover, UK coastal and French coast, Uk coastal and up to 25 miles offshore, something to Brest and more, just confused me.

I also noticed that boats under 7.5 mtrs if they went to France had to be in a flotilla of 3 or more !

I don't want to lose my investment (not that I will be going to France alone in the near future with a 90hp) but I don't want cover I will not use, e.g. unlimited Atlantic crossings.

AND is the boat insured while you tow it round the M25 on a trailer.

I look forward to any help and guidance,

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 08:50   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Try a search

Pete,

There was a thread not so long ago that i replied to posting all the phone numbers of people i tried. I just did a search for 'williams and whybrow' and it came up as the only result.

My personal reccomendation is williams and whybrow, ask for geoff - but i am sure all the other suggestions are more than valid.

As far as i know your car cover should cover for towed stuff - you will need to check the maximum insured value.

One thought - have a chat to the broker and see of the policy is substantialy less for having an RYA Level II certif. - if this is the case see if they will apply the discount if you promise to get the quallification within, say, 4 weeks? You never know!

Daniel
Old 19 September 2002, 08:59   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
As Daniel says this has been discussed before. I use Mardon Insurance who have been OK so far. My policy DOES cover loss or damage to boat whilst being trailed - I think it is extremely unlikely that your car policy will apart from say the third party liability of your trailer becoming unhitched and hitting someone else.
Old 19 September 2002, 09:00   #4

Daniel,

As I mentioned my son has RYA 1,2, safety and advanced, I will see if it can be insured in his name, he is only 15yrs old at the moment, but the boat is for his 16th Birthday in November so may be OK. I will call them now.

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 10:03   #5

Thanks,

Saved £100 already on Marden (Royal & Sun Alliance policy).

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 11:50   #6

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Click on Search above and type insurance - plenty of previous threads - from there I found this list

Porthcawl – 01656 784872 (Advertise in RIB International)
Devitt 01708 385500 (Also advertise in RIB International)
Bishop skinner 0207 566 5800 or 0800 783 8057 (Advertise with RYA / RNLI and offer discounts for being members of either)
Colin Curtis 01752 664649
Mardon 01743 232688
Williams & Whybrow (ask for Geoff Mills) 0208 385 3055

I use Porthcawl - the guy seems to have a genuine interest in RIBS (as opposed to other sportsboats) and gave a good quote - including towing cover etc.

I also decided not to cover waterskier, France etc, but to have these options added if the need arrises. Why cover France for the whole year if you only go there for a week in the year?

Jools
Old 19 September 2002, 12:18   #7

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
When I tried Bishop Skinner 6 years ago they "couldn't possibly insure anything under 8mtrs (or thereabouts – can’t remember exactly), and particularly a dinghy to travel across the English Channel", which they told me is the busiest shipping lane in the world! They also said they wouldn’t insure it left in a marina in case someone picked it up and walked off with it!
I gave up with them and went with Euromarine Insurance. (Now BIBOA's favourite). http://www.euromarine-ltd.com/ Probably not the cheapest but its a CGU policy and covers me for pretty much everything, including the M25 and even salvage, if I have to be towed in emergency. Do check the small print. The cheap ones may not be worth it in the long run!

Mike C
Old 19 September 2002, 12:26   #8

Euromarine are local to me and i know the guy - nice friendly company, but could not beat Williams and Whybrow on price for the same cover - including cross-channel, marina etc. etc. for my 5.6mtr.

I wrote the list cited above, but for some reason left them off it.
Old 19 September 2002, 12:29   #9

I have found out the following from Mardon :-

Boat size 6.6mtr
Engine 90hp + 9.8hp
£15,000 value
Premium £256 comprehensive
£2 million liability
Excess £150 for everything (some want £300 for underwater damage)
Covers most of the channel to Brest, Channel islands e.t.c (some companies want morefor this)
Includes 30 days abroad
Water ski-ing and blow up toys max 2 people, but not blow up chairs (never heard of that one) £1 million (some companies want more for this)
Trailer must be wheel clamped when left alone
You can build up no claims, this is my first insurance so will be at the highest

Anything I'm missing that I should look out for ?

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 12:54   #10

Sounds reasonable - I pay about £280 for a older but bigger boat
with the "Brest to Elbe" cruising limits. (e.g. I can cruise in Northern Europe!)

with Mardon. I've found them fairly helpful when making a claim or changing any details. Do note that you will need to provide them with engine number details plus probably with the details of the location of the main storage place for the boat. Also don't forget the wheel clamp when leaving it with say your outboard engineer 'cos the buggers sometimes don't bother and it'll be your risk if the thing goes missing. Mardon will also want an outboard lock to prevent someone unbolting the engine and making off with it. This always amuses me as for anyone to do that with my 200hp or probably even your 90hp they'll need a crane to get the bloody thing of the boat. Still for £25 or so for a lock its worth it I guess.
Old 19 September 2002, 13:09   #11

Alan,

The boat I am hoping to get has engine locks (how do they work anyway). I don't think it would be too much fun coming back to find your trailer gone, I will need to find a wheel clamp shop, although I have seen a lot of mobile wheel clamp vans going round London! maybe I could stop one and ask to buy one!

What was interesting about Porthcawl was that they just want to know the value of the boat, not engines or size, so I guess someone with a cheap massive boat with twin 240hp engines could get a good deal! They were a lot more expensive with a £300 excess in my circumstances, and wanted more for blow up toys (not that I use them myself) They told me to go to Mardon as they could not get near that quote.

Cheers

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 13:19   #12

Locks

Outboard locks generally fit over one of the bolts holding the outboard to the transom - or replace one. The boat-builder should supply and fit one for you. Wheelclamps can be bought at Halfords or your local caravan / trailer place.
Old 19 September 2002, 13:23   #13

I would reccomend NOT getting the cheap wheel clamp offered by ScrewFix - it's very flimsey, supplied with a crap lock and the paint comes off as soon as you look at it, but then, as i said - it's cheap!

Although i have an outboard lock i've lost the keys, which 'aint clever! I reccomend not doing this!
Old 19 September 2002, 13:29   #14

Alan thanks, and Daniel thanks,

I am one of those lucky people that bought a screw from screwfix and now keep getting catalogues (although there is some good value stuffin the).. What is funny is that I have just been looking at the clamp Daniel talks about, best I have a look in Halfords. Someone said there is one called SAS, I can't remember who, but if anyone has tried one of those I would like to know. I would prefer to pay less for the clamp than the trailer!

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 13:38   #15

Coz i am so nice (and because all the work i need to do is so boring) i've taken a pic of said rusty, flimsey clamp!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1782.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	957  
Old 19 September 2002, 14:04   #16

Blimey, doesn't look too secure, shame the centre piece is not circular to cover the nuts. Thanks for the wonderful picture though, (how many pixels is it)

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 14:09   #17

Pete, just for your info - you mentioned cover for france, i know you won't be venturing over there just yet BUT unlike the UK you DO need a licence and various other stuff, these include:

An ICC (International Certificate of Competance) - basicly fill a form in having completed an RYA Level 2 course.

Boat registered in some way - usually SSR (Small Ships Register)

VHF licence (i think)

Proof of insurance

Passports (obvious, i know)

You taking the p**s about pixels? Or was it a bit big downloading? I reduced it by 25% before uploading it - camera is 1600 x 1200 i think, so thats 400x300.
Old 19 September 2002, 14:19   #18

No, what pixels does the camera have / take them at? e.g. 2 million, 5 million e.t.c.

You know me Daniel I wouldn't take the p..s , well not yet until I know a bit more about what I am involved in here, I'm still a lost soul in all this techy stuff.

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 14:23   #19

As it happens i think you would quite like the camera since i have a waterproof case for it - it's only 2million, but i think they do a better one that fits the case, i know they do a 1.2million one that fits - i'll post the URL's when i get a chance.
Old 19 September 2002, 15:06   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Daniel
Just to add to your list of France things, I strongly recommend you take a copy of your VAT paid invoice as well. Heard not amusing stories about boats being impounded cause French insist EU VAT paid on all new boats.

Also Cyanide got pulled up because the ships registration document was not on board.
Monsieur Maritime Gendarme
"You might have stolen the boat"
My mate
"Well in which case I would have stolen the reg. document as well then wouldn't I ?"
M.M.G.(not amused)
"Produce or else fine of Euros5000!"