Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18 July 2005, 12:32   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 450
bareboat charter in the Med

One of my friends at work asked the following, i dont know the situation in the med, but i figured that you clever people would

" but I have a colleague who is looking to bareboat charter a power boat in the med next summer. He has asked me to find out which certificates he needs to be able to do this.

Do you know which RYA courses he would need to take in order to get the relevant tickets?"

Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2005, 12:39   #2
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30
As far as I know, he needs an ICC for small powered craft. To get this, then he has to take a (coastal) PB2 course, and then apply to the RYA for an International Certificate of Competence. If he's an RYA member, then the ICC is free.



Matt Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2005, 12:46   #3
Louise's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
The ICC is (apparently) only valid for British registered craft so if the charter boat is French registered, the ICC will not necessarily be accepted as proof of competence by the charter company. I suggest your friend contacts the charter company and asks them what documentation they require. He may have to obtain the appropriate French qualification!

There was a discussion about this a little while ago: read it here.
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2005, 04:33   #4
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 313
as far as hiring a boat is concerned I have done so in Italy and France on the back of an ICC

Latest was with Dark Pelican in Villefranche -; a very friendly and efficient business
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2005, 12:35   #5
Country: France
Town: Nice
Boat name: Phantom
Make: Mako
Length: 5.5m
Engine: 115hp Petrol
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 36
The French regulation for using a French flagged boat is that you may do so with a qualification which would allow you to use the same boat in another European Union country, and it (of course) must be translated into French!
The South of France RYA Sea School
oceanpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.