Old 07 November 2002, 12:05   #1
Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Antifoul or not ?

I need some advice please. My new rib will be left on a marina for a few months. Do any of you guy's antifoul ribs ? All advice and comments would be appreciated.

Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 12:11   #2
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Oh yes, we left the club diving rib in a harbour for four weeks without moving it and couldn't believe what was growing on the bottom when we hauled it out. Took a weekend with an industrial pressure washer to clean the hull and even then it still had marks from barnacles. Lesson learnt. Antifoul it or put it on a trailer.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 12:37   #3
Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Not Necessarily..........

If you can in any way avoid applying anti-foul then do. It is a pain in the proverbial. You have to consider the following:

a) How often do you use your rib?
b) What is the water like in the marina you are berthed? For example, we have 2 marinas over here where there is very little movement of water, this is conducive to lots of growth on your hull. Some marinas do not have a big problem.
c) If you are extremely conscious of your speed, you will notice a minor slow-down, say 3 to 4 knots.
d) Once applied you have to keep it up, at least every other year, if not every year.
e) You should really clean the hull prior to re-applying anti-foul - trust me, it is not a very enjoyable job.

Trailer the rib if possible, alternatively find a dry berth.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 12:58   #4
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I have kept boats in a marina for the last two years now, and I don't like it. I remember saying on a thread that I felt a marina was the best place to keep your Rib but I was wrong.

If you arekeeping your bopat in a Marina then I suggest you do Antifoul as the summer season attracts a lot of growth, the winter just destroys your upholstery.. grrr

We haven't antifouled and spend a longtime with the Power washer......boring!

If you Dry store the boat it's a lot neater and easier to maintain
thewavehumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 13:02   #5
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon

Is she going to be in the water permenently, or is this going to happen once ? If so take under serious consideration Charles opinion. There is no turning back from this procedure.
Michael a.k.a "Bat Falcon"

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 15:25   #6
Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !

Owning a rib is worse than having kids ! I suspect that it will be on the marina for 5 weeks. Then it will be dry stored for the rest of the winter and put back in the water next Easter. I was hoping to leave it in the marina for the summer. As it is a 5.5m rib I would prefer not to tow it every week to the water and have the convenience of walking to the boat on the marina and using it. More comments please.

Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 15:38   #7
Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos

If you antifoul the RIB you have to keep it in the water permenantly. Otherwise as soon as you take it out and you leave it to dry you need to apply another coat of antiofoul on (so I was told).
I have NEVER antifould a RIB. In the UK where there are tides and if the marina is tidal it will not get any significant grouth underneath.
Also if you move the RIB say every week for a bit it will also stay clean.
You say boat will saty in the water for say 5 weeks. That is a very insignificant time to start talking about antifouling.
My advise to you

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 17:18   #8
Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Anti foul thoughts

I keep one boat, in the water all year, and the only good antifoul i have come across, on an 11 m Delta, is International Copper Bot.

Very expensive, and has to be sprayed on in a workshop, and all that............... and yes after a year or 2 you have to go over the whole thing again, but give it, it's due was very good. Thought about putting it on one boat, but went against it, so neither are anti fouled.

Even if you use your boat every day, throughout the summer, you will get growth on it, it is the way it is... i use my boats every day during the summer for max 6 hours per day, and it is unbelievable where a barnacle will hang on to.

My theory - take it out - pressure wash it - gives you agood chance to check the hull, and all those unseen bits, put it back in - only takes an hour.......... dont bother with anti foul ...

Or, keep your boat in the dark, where the weed will not grow

seafariskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2002, 05:50   #9
Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
My boat has been in the water all season and antifouled.I took it out last w/end; The hull was fine and I doubt that it will need another coating for next year.The rear sections of the tubes was another matter -2/3 hours with scraper Jif etc - is there anything you can put on the tubes to help?

Overall I can't see a great problem in anti fouling and believe it preferable if you are in a marina all year and want a "turn key" solution
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2002, 06:15   #10
Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel

Antifouling is a nightmare . It puts you on an expensive road and if your boat is onl in the water for 5 weeks you wont need it. Try to take it out as much as possible and when you get an oppertunity lift it out the water and give the hull a clean. Once you have ant fouled it thats it you are stuck with it.

Stick to cleaning the hull every few weeks.

Julian Lyas
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote