Old 07 November 2002, 17:05   #1

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Antifoul or not ?

I need some advice please. My new rib will be left on a marina for a few months. Do any of you guy's antifoul ribs ? All advice and comments would be appreciated.

Scotty.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:11   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Oh yes, we left the club diving rib in a harbour for four weeks without moving it and couldn't believe what was growing on the bottom when we hauled it out. Took a weekend with an industrial pressure washer to clean the hull and even then it still had marks from barnacles. Lesson learnt. Antifoul it or put it on a trailer.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:37   #3

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Not Necessarily..........

If you can in any way avoid applying anti-foul then do. It is a pain in the proverbial. You have to consider the following:

a) How often do you use your rib?
b) What is the water like in the marina you are berthed? For example, we have 2 marinas over here where there is very little movement of water, this is conducive to lots of growth on your hull. Some marinas do not have a big problem.
c) If you are extremely conscious of your speed, you will notice a minor slow-down, say 3 to 4 knots.
d) Once applied you have to keep it up, at least every other year, if not every year.
e) You should really clean the hull prior to re-applying anti-foul - trust me, it is not a very enjoyable job.

Trailer the rib if possible, alternatively find a dry berth.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:58   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I have kept boats in a marina for the last two years now, and I don't like it. I remember saying on a thread that I felt a marina was the best place to keep your Rib but I was wrong.

If you arekeeping your bopat in a Marina then I suggest you do Antifoul as the summer season attracts a lot of growth, the winter just destroys your upholstery.. grrr

We haven't antifouled and spend a longtime with the Power washer......boring!

If you Dry store the boat it's a lot neater and easier to maintain
Old 07 November 2002, 18:02   #5

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Scotty,

Is she going to be in the water permenently, or is this going to happen once ? If so take under serious consideration Charles opinion. There is no turning back from this procedure.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 20:25   #6

Marina.

Jeez,
Owning a rib is worse than having kids ! I suspect that it will be on the marina for 5 weeks. Then it will be dry stored for the rest of the winter and put back in the water next Easter. I was hoping to leave it in the marina for the summer. As it is a 5.5m rib I would prefer not to tow it every week to the water and have the convenience of walking to the boat on the marina and using it. More comments please.

Thanks.
Old 07 November 2002, 20:38   #7

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Scotty

If you antifoul the RIB you have to keep it in the water permenantly. Otherwise as soon as you take it out and you leave it to dry you need to apply another coat of antiofoul on (so I was told).
I have NEVER antifould a RIB. In the UK where there are tides and if the marina is tidal it will not get any significant grouth underneath.
Also if you move the RIB say every week for a bit it will also stay clean.
You say boat will saty in the water for say 5 weeks. That is a very insignificant time to start talking about antifouling.
My advise to you

DON'T DO IT MATE YOU WILL REGRET IT. THER IS NO WAY BACK IF YOU DO.

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 22:18   #8

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Anti foul thoughts

I keep one boat, in the water all year, and the only good antifoul i have come across, on an 11 m Delta, is International Copper Bot.

Very expensive, and has to be sprayed on in a workshop, and all that............... and yes after a year or 2 you have to go over the whole thing again, but give it, it's due was very good. Thought about putting it on one boat, but went against it, so neither are anti fouled.

Even if you use your boat every day, throughout the summer, you will get growth on it, it is the way it is... i use my boats every day during the summer for max 6 hours per day, and it is unbelievable where a barnacle will hang on to.

My theory - take it out - pressure wash it - gives you agood chance to check the hull, and all those unseen bits, put it back in - only takes an hour.......... dont bother with anti foul ...

Or, keep your boat in the dark, where the weed will not grow

Pete
Old 08 November 2002, 10:50   #9

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
My boat has been in the water all season and antifouled.I took it out last w/end; The hull was fine and I doubt that it will need another coating for next year.The rear sections of the tubes was another matter -2/3 hours with scraper Jif etc - is there anything you can put on the tubes to help?

Overall I can't see a great problem in anti fouling and believe it preferable if you are in a marina all year and want a "turn key" solution
Old 08 November 2002, 11:15   #10

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
DONT DO IT

Antifouling is a nightmare . It puts you on an expensive road and if your boat is onl in the water for 5 weeks you wont need it. Try to take it out as much as possible and when you get an oppertunity lift it out the water and give the hull a clean. Once you have ant fouled it thats it you are stuck with it.

Stick to cleaning the hull every few weeks.

Julian
Old 08 November 2002, 18:41   #11

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Dont do it

Scotty I antifouled my last rib but I would not recomend to do it again,I painted it white, it oxidised and went green, looked terrible aswell. To be most effective the more copper in the paint the more effective the antifoul product, ie reds and orange can hold more copper particles,true it makes the growth easier to remove but takes the look from the polished hull and will without a doubt reduce your speed.It is not so easy a job to do on the trailer and when you go to sell it it almost looks as if you are hiding something under the paintwork.Instead drive your rib from Howth to Malahide Marina and have her sling washed on their travel hoist in punts they used to charge 25 punts.All it means is that cleaning the hull is not so easy, but it is still possible to do, I often get cleaning the hull in my drysuit and with a scrubbing brush, while on its berth, and remember with less sunlight over the wintertime the serious growth is more a summertime problem.
Old 08 November 2002, 19:14   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
My Ribtec came antifouled (second hand rib) a year ago. To date the antifouling is still in good condition despite the rib spending most of its time sat on its trailer . Th paint hasn't cracked or dried out. Think its International "Interspeed" so its the hard wearing type. Even the little trailer rollers don't seem to mark it to badly. However it means the boat can sit in a marina without worrying about nasty things growing on it. As I said you will only leave an unpainted boat in a marina once for any length of time.

Pete
Old 09 November 2002, 12:00   #13

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
A while ago when I used to sail yacths there was some "electronic" antifouling set ups around where you put almost like a collar round the boat and connected it up to a control box and it was supposed to stop your boat getting fouled.

Dont know if they are still around or worked well but this could be a ideal solution. (assuming they dont cost a fortune).

Does anyone remember them ?, and have a info if they are still around ?.

Regards Gary
Old 09 November 2002, 13:22   #14

Re: Dont do it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gavin
[B]I often get cleaning the hull in my drysuit and with a scrubbing brush,

Gavin,
My wife thinks your offer of cleaning our new boat is very generous and it changes her views of "southsiders"

ha ha

Old 09 November 2002, 18:34   #15

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Scotty lets hope it doesnt get any growth on it so,one rib keeps me busy enough,however it is important to keep it weed and barnicle free,I was in western Marine last week and a guy had left in his rib for a service and with the Pro Open they simply removed the tubes for cleaning, thats a bonus and saves the knuckles to some extent, but as as you know its the hull and motor that have the nooks and crannies to keep clean.Is this your first rib, or have you had a different type of boat before and did you antifoul then?
Old 09 November 2002, 20:18   #16

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Spend the money and buy a decent International Marine High speed antifoul + Outboard /outdrive sealer. If you put it on properley you can leave the boat on a trailer or in the water for as long as you like with no problems.
Alaan P
Old 10 November 2002, 10:20   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Priddy
Spend the money and buy a decent International Marine High speed antifoul + Outboard /outdrive sealer. Alaan P
Alan,
Thanks for the advice. Can you post more details of this high speed antifoul ?
Thanks,

Luke.
Old 10 November 2002, 13:56   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Luke. Contact your local International Marine depot for full information but in short the finish of the antifoul is a smooth as the gel coat hence NO SPEED reduction. Unfourtunatly we have the new breed of super cats to thank for the development of this antifoul. Alan P