Old 01 November 2007, 07:48   #11

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
My advice would be to start off without antifouling and see how quickly the weed grows. When there is a bit on there, lift it out and jet it off.

See how you get on doing it this way. It may be that the expense and hassle makes up your mind and you decide to go for antifouling. I *was* going to antifoul but I am glad I didn't. Jetting off once a month (I must own up and say the marina staff do it) keeps the weed down.

I think it a shame if you do have to antifoul but it might be the best solution if the weed is proving a big hassle.

Old 01 November 2007, 08:30   #12

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
My Rib is in the QE2 marina in Guernsey and if it is staying in for most of the year antifouling is essential. Thw water in the marina is warm and full of life. Also depending on which way your mooring is facing will determine how much growth you get. Spend a bit of time walking the pontoons looking at differentribs/boats, you will see the difference between antifouled and not antifouled.
Tony

Old 01 November 2007, 14:11   #13

Boat name: Genie
Make: Lema
Engine: inboard petrol 225hp
Many thanks everyone
As suspected, I may have been fed some perhaps slightly 'askewed' info there, as the chap concerned hasn'r been over here very long and is used to colder waters (where perhaps the weed growth is less significant).
I shall anti-foul and I do like the sound of the hard white, which would be ideal and less obvious.
My current boat is antifouled with international and not a sign of growth - aprt from the stern drive which has bloomed into a venerable little underwater amazon. Still, nothing a good blast at 30 knots won't sort out!
Good point on the direction facing Tony, I'll have a good look at that next time I'm down on my berth (mine is south facing which may account for the weed on the stern).
Thanks for all your advice, it is appreciated!
ATB
Rob
Old 01 November 2007, 14:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
My current boat is antifouled with international and not a sign of growth - aprt from the stern drive which has bloomed into a venerable little underwater amazon.
I spoke to the techy chap at International Paints. He suggested:

1. Key up the bottom with 180 grade sandpaper;
2. Apply 2x coats of Gelshield 200;
3. Apply 2 x coats of Trilux (white).
4. Burnish, if required.
Old 02 November 2007, 04:33   #15

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
I spoke to the techy chap at International Paints. He suggested:
1. Key up the bottom with 180 grade sandpaper;
2. Apply 2x coats of Gelshield 200;
3. Apply 2 x coats of Trilux (white).
4. Burnish, if required.
But Trilux is crap, as in completely hopeless as its only a medium strength. Unfortunately its one of the few antifoulings that can be applied to Aluminium. Two years ago I painted the stern drive with it only to have weeds growing within 8 weeks. Lifted the boat out and International came and visited. There solution was to give me another 3 litres of the stuff in compensation, hmm thanks.

Internationals Ultra or as previously mentioned Blakes Hard Racing are known good antifouls although I am currently using VC Offshore with excellent results, just wish there was something stronger for stern drives.

Cue Codders and his experimental and secret Vindaloo powder for adding to B&Q emulsion paint

Pete
Old 02 November 2007, 13:57   #16

Boat name: Genie
Make: Lema
Engine: inboard petrol 225hp
Thanks Andy/Pete
I'll wait until it's craned out to have a darn good go at it. I have had a few suggestions from Lanolin (but more suitable to a more leisurely turn of prop methinks) to CopperCoat.
Not sure but I may well try some hard compound antifoul like Blakes next year (but make sure I don't paint over the anodes!).
Cheers for the helpful advice guys.
PS - Anyone from RIBnet forum in Guernsey, there are RIBNet stickers available at Micks Fishing free without the need for any purchase (natch).
ATB
Rob
Old 02 November 2007, 14:03   #17

Just don't rush into antifouling her would be my advice. See how fast the weed grows.
Old 02 November 2007, 17:10   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I use VC and Blaes hard racing both good get the primer cvoat right and you are good for the year. We used VC tar as our primer coat ( I think)

Pete Aluminininimum antifoul = Mille drive. I'l have alook and tell you who makes it.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2007, 17:12   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Blakes
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2007, 05:19   #20

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well as you have probably guessed he was talking bollicks. Lots of Ribs live on trailers so yes they don't need antifouling. For those that do live on the water nothing wrong with a nice coat of hard antifoul paint. The alternative is endless trips down to the boat just to scrub it off. Some bright spark left our dive club rib in Portsmouth harbour for 6 weeks one summer. I and several other members had to spend a weekend cleaning the crap off.

I know Carly doesn't antifoul his little speed boat incase he looses 1/10th of a knot off the top end so spends his spare time polishing it instead. Also Nautibouy bought a floating dock the size of an aircraft carrier to park his rib on top, out of the water, but for those that just want to step on board, turn the key and go then a nice coat of International hard antifoul will keep the wee beasties away afterall all the other boats in your marina will be antifouled, why not a rib.

Be wary of "snake oil" products claiming they will replace antifoul paint btw, some horrible photos on here showing complete failure.

Pete
peter,peter,peter,whats the word im looking for ,ah i know,happy slaping,you cheeky bugger. anyway have mine lifted at the moment by sealift in cowes,every 6 wks or so(less this time of year) hull is like new after a pressure wash and scrub,nice bloke, and after you have been a few times will start doing some deals. thats the plan at the moment ,the ideal situation would be for naughty boyo to sell me one of his plastic lego sets at friend prices